« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:57:06 PM by -K-M- »

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Re: Stranger Things 2 (episodes 5-9)
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 03:42:07 PM »
I think it'd be interesting if, in Season 3, they delve in to how the creatures from the Upside Down are so analogous with the monsters from D & D.

They really aren’t though. I looked up what the Demogorgon is, the one from D&D, and it’s this like two headed demon, both heads those of mandrills, snake like arms. It’s tall and slender looking but that’s about the end of the parallels. Importantly the one from D&D is not only sentient but both heads are and have this kind of parallel but in opposition sort of existence. Similarly, the mind flayer is only analogous to the shadow monster in that they control other things. Physically they’re very different and we have no idea what the similarities are motivations wise. That was their best guess.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 05:05:29 PM »
Reason why there probably wasn’t more demgorgons is only one knew about the breach. Now why wouldn’t the others know? Well as Dart showed they can still have independent thought. Seems they can do whatever they want unless commanded to do otherwise by the big bad. So he had a nice food supply all to himself

Now the Big bad had a plan to take over the earth in s2 and was more focused on his minions to roll it out. He would position them when needed but they could do whatever until then. He also may have not known about the breach in S1 until will was infected (he would then have his connection) and returned to the main world or big bad did know but wanted to keep invading force low not to draw early attention kind of like how in s2 was working in secret until will spilled the beans. S1 plan failed so change of tactics in s2.

Eleven creates the breach right after making astral contact with a demogorgon... and that guy later ran amok in the DOE halls and woods nearby. Might have been like Will getting “infected” and letting him jump between worlds after returning home. The demogorgon was “infected” by the astral contact with Eleven, allowing him to keep breaching over into real world.

The Mindflayer later realizes what has happened... probably due to his infection/connection of Will... and starts expanding the breach underground and spreading more of his minions. But his minions can’t hop between worlds like demogorgon and Will could.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

80sBaby

• +22/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 05:41:32 PM »
I think it'd be interesting if, in Season 3, they delve in to how the creatures from the Upside Down are so analogous with the monsters from D & D.

They really aren’t though. I looked up what the Demogorgon is, the one from D&D, and it’s this like two headed demon, both heads those of mandrills, snake like arms. It’s tall and slender looking but that’s about the end of the parallels. Importantly the one from D&D is not only sentient but both heads are and have this kind of parallel but in opposition sort of existence. Similarly, the mind flayer is only analogous to the shadow monster in that they control other things. Physically they’re very different and we have no idea what the similarities are motivations wise. That was their best guess.

Ah, gotcha. Oh well, I thought it'd be a cool idea.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
The punk gang in episode 7 is pretty awful.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
That's the one everybody is calling the "bad" episode. We'll probably see 008 again in Season 3 or 4.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »
I didn’t mind Eight’s gang. Pure 80’s punk rebels. I just thought the episode placement was weird.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »
It might be because the episode before ends on a pretty big cliffhanger, then we get an episode of Eleven going on a road trip and hanging out with characters we've gotten to know yet.  It sort of broke up the narrative.  If they showed the events happening at the same time, it might've been more smooth.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2017, 11:28:04 PM »
I think showing them both would have slowed the narrative too much. What they should have done is just reverse the order. The moment where Eleven senses everyone is in danger would have been more impactful if we didn't know what was going on.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40:28 PM »
That could've worked, too.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2017, 12:32:54 PM »
My initial assessment of Season 1 in unchanged. This show is good to have on in the background, but overall is average. Not a whole lot happens, Eleven reprises her role as deus ex machina.

Steve sure got shafted by that tramp Nancy.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »
The heart wants what the heart wants. The surprising thing is how well he handled it. Good lord.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »