Herochat

Stranger Things 2 (episodes 5-9)

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Re: Stranger Things 2 (episodes 5-9)
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 01:25:51 PM »
But even in the first episode they were tracking the guy who ran that burger place

Clownprince23

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »
They also probably didn’t care to much they had to shut building down as doorway was closed and there was no more test subjects there

Probably happy the truth didn’t go out and just the watered down version was released

Yeah, from their point of view they're probably thinking, sweet, we'll just go with that story, as it neatly tied up everything for them. 

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
Next season prediction: we meet someone who has spent a significant amount of time living and surviving in the upside down.

How long do you estimate it has been since the Mindflayer corrupted that world? The power is still running in some places. And they found Will and Barb in a nest like area. I think there were some other dead bodies down there. And while things are in ruins, it doesn’t look like decades of decay.

It’s quite possible that dimension only got invaded 3 or 4 years ago. So yeah, there could be survivors. Maybe not in upside down Hawkins, but maybe in distant cities.

The Mindflayer doesn’t seem to like heat or water (his tunnels avoided lakes and the dogs ran from the sprinklers). So people on islands or in the tropics might be holding out.

Then again, the Mindflayer might be terraforming the planet and changing the atmosphere to block out the sun. So who knows.

I think there're a lot of assumptions in all of this. The place might not be a separate world like that. When change are made in the "regular" world the corresponding physical space changes in the upside down. Like when Will's mom puts up the christmas lights with the letters, he can see those in the upside down. So decades of decay wouldn't be a factor really.

The "mind-flayer" may be native to that dimension. Someone from the "regular" world could have gone previously and been trapped there, but able to survive. Or as you say, it could have been a populated place that was inhabited, but I wouldn't bet on that.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »
Next season prediction: we meet someone who has spent a significant amount of time living and surviving in the upside down.

With maybe a Jumanji reference?

Could be exactly like that potentially. Would be unlikely that the person had connections to Hawkins unless there's a potential meeting place btwn worlds in Hawkins in particular.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »

How long do you estimate it has been since the Mindflayer corrupted that world? The power is still running in some places. And they found Will and Barb in a nest like area. I think there were some other dead bodies down there. And while things are in ruins, it doesn’t look like decades of decay.

It’s quite possible that dimension only got invaded 3 or 4 years ago. So yeah, there could be survivors. Maybe not in upside down Hawkins, but maybe in distant cities.

The Mindflayer doesn’t seem to like heat or water (his tunnels avoided lakes and the dogs ran from the sprinklers). So people on islands or in the tropics might be holding out.

Then again, the Mindflayer might be terraforming the planet and changing the atmosphere to block out the sun. So who knows.

I think there're a lot of assumptions in all of this. The place might not be a separate world like that. When change are made in the "regular" world the corresponding physical space changes in the upside down. Like when Will's mom puts up the christmas lights with the letters, he can see those in the upside down. So decades of decay wouldn't be a factor really.

The "mind-flayer" may be native to that dimension. Someone from the "regular" world could have gone previously and been trapped there, but able to survive. Or as you say, it could have been a populated place that was inhabited, but I wouldn't bet on that.

True, it could just be a kind of dimensional dead space between true universes. And this evil entity either was born in this wasteland reflection of our universe or travelled there from somewhere else.

I do tend to think that SOMETHING was living in upside down Earth. Otherwise, what was the Mindflayer killing and making nesting areas for its demogorgon spawn? When Eleven/Jane first spots the demogorgon in the astral plane, it is feeding upon something. I doubt the Mindflayer creates beings out of nothing that just feed on themselves.

The upside down may be a weird wasteland linked to outlet world, but there still may have been life (not humans?). And the Mindflayer destroyed and conquered and feasted on that life.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 07:58:10 PM »
I got the impression the Upside Down has a wide variety of different organisms.  The Demogorgon last season was different from the Demodogs this season.  We also got those weird spitty things in the cave.  There are probably a lot more creatures out there.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 10:22:45 PM »
The tunnels, demodogs, etc all seem to be just an extension of the Mindflayer. Demodogs are probably just a few evolutions from becoming full grown demogorgons.

In season 1, some people thought the kids were fighting multiple demogorgons over the course of the season. I think Season 2 supports that.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »
The tunnels, demodogs, etc all seem to be just an extension of the Mindflayer. Demodogs are probably just a few evolutions from becoming full grown demogorgons.

After Dart broke out of the basement cellar by digging his way out, I got the impression that it was all the demodogs that had dug/created the tunnels.
Maybe as their way of travelling thru Hawkins without getting detected.

Whilst the vines (as Hopper discovered, killing off the pumpkins) was the actual extension of the Mindflayer.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 06:37:48 AM »
So would your theory be that the Mindflayer infected the demogorgon species the way it was trying to infect Will/humanity?

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
I'm assuming the demogorgon/s from S1 & the demodogs are two different species or inhabitants.

The Mindflayer controlled the dogs with a hive mind mentality whilst the demogorgon were simply creatures that existed in the Upside Down.

The demogorgon/s were hunting for prey to eat in S1 & discovered a doorway into the real world...there was never any other motive established apart from that.

I kinda got the impression the MindFlayer was solely created to expand the story for S2 considering the discovery of the Upside Down was sufficient enough to keep S1 going.

-K-M-

• +8/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
Pretty sure a demodog is a pre demogorgon. Even Dustin later said they would mulch again and grow. They weren’t done evolving

No different then the evolution of man (from fish, to ape, to man)

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »
Yeah possibly...I mean their back legs did pop out after the second moult.

It's just a shame they never showed demogorgons in S2, much less the dogs in different stages of evolution...

Nor why there was only possibly a couple of gorgons in S1 to literally dozens of dogs in S2.

-K-M-

• +8/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:34 AM »
Reason why there probably wasn’t more demgorgons is only one knew about the breach. Now why wouldn’t the others know? Well as Dart showed they can still have independent thought. Seems they can do whatever they want unless commanded to do otherwise by the big bad. So he had a nice food supply all to himself

Now the Big bad had a plan to take over the earth in s2 and was more focused on his minions to roll it out. He would position them when needed but they could do whatever until then. He also may have not known about the breach in S1 until will was infected (he would then have his connection) and returned to the main world or big bad did know but wanted to keep invading force low not to draw early attention kind of like how in s2 was working in secret until will spilled the beans. S1 plan failed so change of tactics in s2.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:57:49 AM by -K-M- »

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
Good points.

Anyone watching "Beyond Stranger Things"?

It's on Netflix, interviews with cast & crew.

Some very good insights.

LOL at the Duffer Bros having to repeat kindergarten because of their anti social behaviours.

80sBaby

• +22/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »
I think it'd be interesting if, in Season 3, they delve in to how the creatures from the Upside Down are so analogous with the monsters from D & D.