Herochat

Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers

Dlbiininja

• +16/-8314
    • View Profile
Re: Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
Marvel have pretty clearly taken contradictory positions on this as things evolved. Odin clearly states they are not Gods in The Dark World. Odin clearly states that Thor is a God in this one. etc. And then every now and then they hand wave things away with a "What you call magic we call science and vice versa and the same ergo". At one point they were worried about the idea of a bunch of magical Norse Gods fitting into the same universe as Iron Man and not offending people and now they dont give a shit. Case closed.

Thanks. that was my point.

Ragnarok to me seemed like they were ignoring earlier statements making them legit magical gods not aliens. Which I’m good with

They shouldn't fuck with the legit mystical component.  They've been trying to do it in comics also.  Before Stark got coma'd.  I think it helped with Strange's appearance in Thor. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Accel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
I'm fine with the line between science and magic being blurred, especially when sci-fi and fantasy elements come together.  Like Arthur C. Clark said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." 

Or as Princess Bubblegum puts it, "All magic is science. You just don't know what you're doing with it so you call it magic."

Also, the whole gods/aliens thing always just seemed to be an issue of semantics more than anything.  Thor seems like he could technically fit in either category.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2017, 12:29:51 AM »
I'm fine with the line between science and magic being blurred, especially when sci-fi and fantasy elements come together.  Like Arthur C. Clark said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." 

Or as Princess Bubblegum puts it, "All magic is science. You just don't know what you're doing with it so you call it magic."

Also, the whole gods/aliens thing always just seemed to be an issue of semantics more than anything.  Thor seems like he could technically fit in either category.

Agreed, no need for strict and absolute boundaries.

Kind of like how in Wild Cards, all of the powers just boiled down to "psionics." How does a woman with wings fly when her body weight should make that impossible? Psionics. How does an assassin regenerate from a clump of tissue? Psionics. And so on.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium