Herochat

Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
Re: Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 03:50:39 AM »
I’m guessing the ship belongs to Thanos.

Insane Titan

• +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 04:17:25 AM »
I’m guessing the ship belongs to Thanos.
yeah I’d say so too.

Anyone notice the beta Ray Bill head on grandmaster palace ?

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 04:42:01 AM »
Yeah, there was BRB, Bi-Beast, Ares, and Man Thing.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
Here are my thoughts on the movie after a bit of time to digest it:

Have to say that while it was good I mostly came away disappointed. Kind of like after GOTG 2 the very positive early reviews got me super hyped for this so its probably mostly due to expectations. OTOH i went in to see Spiderman with not much interest and loved it. Anyway…

The Good

When the humour works:
Loki’s life as Odin, almost everything with Korg, lots of little moments like Thor in the Willy Wonka style “Introduction to Sakaar” ride, most Goldblum stuff...

Cameos and Easter Egg type references:

The “The Dark World” play is great and theres lots of other stuff that others have mentioned

Action/Visuals:

All of this stuff was really well done - the Valkyrie flashback looked amazing, Thor fighting Surtur, Thor fighting Surtur’s goons, Thor fighting Hela’s army with his lightning abilities and Hela destroying the Asgardian army were great. The arena fight was OK - i guess it didnt really have the same scope for spectacle that some of the other scenes did.

Hulks transformation back to Banner was really well done - one of the few purely dramatic moments of the film

The Bad

The Hulk:
I have to say i really didnt like the Hulk as portrayed here. Unlike a lot of Hulk fans I do like the Savage Hulk persona - particularly in terms of being somewhat innocent and good-natured. This Hulk felt somewhat more like a dumbed down Grey Hulk/Gravage Hulk - living a Joe Fixit style existence where he happily beats strangers to death every night in exchange for the cheers of the crowd. So while i had a lot of enthusiasm to finally see an intelligent/speaking Hulk onscreen this was a letdown

When the humour doesnt work:

Kind of like GOTG 2 the humour was a bit of a mixed bag for me.

In particular there is one trend in recent Marvel movies which is becoming increasingly annoying - the attempt to replicate the same type of joke as the Loki ragdoll scene from Avengers. In other words - something typically dramatic is happening which is immediately undercut by a joke. This was very unexpected in Avengers but its becoming increasingly telegraphed that anytime a villain begins to speak threateningly for more than 15 seconds its the setup to a joke. It happens several times here with Surtur and Hela, really fell flat in GOTG 2 with Nebulon (even though she is not a villain) and is just generally wearing thin

Loki:
I dont think his fanbase would be thrilled. He is generally shown being outshone by everyone - he is a lackey to The Grandmaster (who seems to just be a regular tyrant who landed on Sakaar a long time ago), is outfought by Valkyrie, outsmarted by Thor, has a quasi-phobia of the Hulk. Generally felt like he was being “put in his place” in this film ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mjolnir:
I swear to Christ that there are lines from this script straight out of some of MjolnirsPowers posts. Apart from being detroyed Mjolnir is said to be merely a crutch for focussing Thor’s powers and judging by the effectiveness of the battle hammer in the arena isnt all that special as a melee weapon apart from the fact that you can throw it and it comes back. Though Thor seemingly doesnt get any other of the hammers abilities based on the fact that Hulk has to carry him and Valkyrie onto the departing ship at the end. It was also apparently originally Hela’s weapon.

The Other

Hope there are no big Warrior 3 fans out there - Ray Stevenson barely had time to get out of the makeup chair before Volstagg is killed off.

The Dr Strange cameo is OK but super pointless

Skurge’s screen time/character arc isnt given enough time to have any real weight IMO

This is relatively minor but i think Thor does lose a lot of distinctive qualities without the hammer. Hes now a brick who can manipulate lightning/weather.

Hela is indeed super duper powerful. Probably the most she is hurt in the film before the very end is when she is stabbed in the back by some random Asgardian ironically but this just seems to cause her pain

The retcon of Asgard as an aggressive, conquering nation who acquired great wealth and power by taking it from other people is…interesting. Not sure if it squares exactly with what we have seen in other films (particularly the beginning of the first film) but it possibly reconciles the differeing portrayals of Odin as a wise, kindly figure in the first film and as a bit of a douchebag in the second i guess.

All in all it was a solid film - just not what i had built it up to be based on the strength of early reviews. Would have to see it again to get a fair impression of it but at this point i’d rate it about par with GOTG 2, above Dr Strange and below Civil War and Homecoming in terms of Phase III films

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
I liked Loki's portrayal.  His many defeats here aren't as embarrassing as him getting his ass kicked a bunch of times in Avengers.  This Loki's more of a schemer, not so much a fighter.

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »
How is the Loki and Strange interaction?

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
How is the Loki and Strange interaction?

Very brief.  Strange actually banishes Loki while presumably in his own house in another part of New York.  After Strange helps Thor, he brings Loki back.  Loki mentions that he was falling for a very long time in whatever dimension he was banished to and pulls out a couple of knives for a fight.  Strange actually throws a portal at him and Thor and says, "Bye bye", sending both of them to Norway.  For an extended cameo, he actually  had a decent power showing.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
STRANGE BEATS SUPERMAN 100/10!!!!
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 11:18:05 AM »
Gree will be happy.

Kallor

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »
Just watched an upload of the Thor/Hulk fight, seeing the whole thing tomorrow night.  Thor comes off super-powerful in this, I was shocked at how well they let him do against the Hulk without Mjolnir. Great skill showing as well.

"What's the matter with you, Banner, you're embarrassing me!  I just told them we were friends!"  hahaha.

It was pretty masterfully done, really, to make fans of both characters happy.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 05:28:36 AM »
Just watched it this afternoon.

A lot of people/reviews commented that there was too much humour laden into the dialogue or that it was oddly timed & destroyed scenes that should've been taken more seriously.

Those criticisms may be true but it is also very uniquely a Kiwi/Aussie trait...to basically take the piss out of any serious situation & bring it down to a level that's easier to tackle.

My only gripes were Thor losing both his hammer & hair in the same movie. Without his golden locks, he really didn't stand out in the final battle on the bridge.
And regardless of Stan's cameo, there really wasn't any reason why he needed a hair cut in the first place, except for comedic value.

The other gripe was Hulk's fight with Hela's dog. Nothing in the movie suggested to how strong the beast was to begin with so without that factor it just made Hulk look weak.
We saw what the Hulk could do with a single punch in Avengers but we sadly lose that effectiveness against the dog. Just a minor shame. 

Overall it's a fun movie & I'm gonna say there's more memorable scenes in this one compared to other Marvel movies.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 06:14:16 AM »
My only gripes were Thor losing both his hammer & hair in the same movie. Without his golden locks, he really didn't stand out in the final battle on the bridge.

How did he not stand out on the bridge when he was glowing blue and shooting lightning everywhere?

The out-of-universe explanation was that Chris Hemsworth was tired of wearing a wig.  A possible in-universe answer is that the Grandmaster seemed to want to strip the gladiators of their identity as a way to control them and put them in their place as slaves.  Giving Thor a haircut, slapping on some facepaint, and giving him some weapons could aid in that.

The other gripe was Hulk's fight with Hela's dog. Nothing in the movie suggested to how strong the beast was to begin with so without that factor it just made Hulk look weak.
We saw what the Hulk could do with a single punch in Avengers but we sadly lose that effectiveness against the dog. Just a minor shame

Fenris was locked away like Hela and Surtur, so that coupled with the fact that a mob of Asgardians (led by Heimdall) were nervous about fighting him gave me the impression he was dangerous.  The fight didn't last long either way.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »
How did he not stand out on the bridge when he was glowing blue and shooting lightning everywhere?

The out-of-universe explanation was that Chris Hemsworth was tired of wearing a wig.  A possible in-universe answer is that the Grandmaster seemed to want to strip the gladiators of their identity as a way to control them and put them in their place as slaves.  Giving Thor a haircut, slapping on some facepaint, and giving him some weapons could aid in that.

Fenris was locked away like Hela and Surtur, so that coupled with the fact that a mob of Asgardians (led by Heimdall) were nervous about fighting him gave me the impression he was dangerous.  The fight didn't last long either way.

I dunno...it's just strange Hemsworth would bitch about wearing a wig as opposed to complaining about the rigorous work-out & diet to stay in shape.
And if the Grandmaster wanted to strip the gladiators off their identities, he would've probably stripped Thor of his own armour as well & not just a haircut.

Thor wasn't "glowing blue" or shooting lightning on the bridge battle, it was mostly h2h. Even when he was ship jumping, he was ripping the ships up with his bare hands.

Hela was never locked away with Fernis. She appeared (from exile?) right after Odin's death with no explanation at all.
And Heimdall was the only armed with a sword facing Fernis on the bridge, the rest of the Asgardians behind him were unarmed civilians...juz saying that still didn't establish how strong or durable Fernis was to begin with.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »
Just wondering, are peeps still waiting for this to premiere in their area?

This long anticipated Marvel movie kinda fizzled out after 2 pages...

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »
And it's a very sad indication when they show the JL trailer & the trailer quickly turns into a competition to win free tix...