Herochat

Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
Re: Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2017, 06:33:48 AM »
So what was everyone's favorite joke?

Just like everything Goldblum did and said. The way he moved, the way he delivered lines. As lacking as Hela was in having any kind of flavor as a villain, Goldblum had so much flavor that it balanced out nicely.

He was also promoting MenuLog whilst filming here in Australia.
Doing cameo pop-ups in a food van throughout the city giving away food.

80sBaby

• +22/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
So what was everyone's favorite joke?

Thor screaming just before meeting Grandmaster was hilarious (as was his begging before getting his hair cut.) Korg talking about how Miek was dead, Banner's faceplant (even though we knew it was coming) and Hulk's "But monster..." were great, too.

Also, I loved it when Valkyrie made her entrance and just fell off the ramp. Tessa Thompson nailed that.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
Just to circle back to the over arching stuff of this thread. After going through and reading the comments I felt (granted just me) that people were given this piece of amazing fun and are too busy nitpicking it to just enjoy the thing for the pure joy amazingness of it. Then you have abhi who's like, "you are all too kind to this film" so I guess I'm at the other end. Don't think the comparison to GotG 2 is fair which I didn't really care for. This is up there with GotG 1 which is one of my favorites, but with potentially a lot more going on, and a lot more careful balancing as well. This was like a carefully constructed nerd fest. So I guess it's now what we're doing when we see all the things we felt piece by piece.

Was into

5 most important things:

The look
The comedy
The action
The story
The acting
The music

Now for more detailed breakdown:

The new
- Goldblum as the Grandmaster. Fuck yes. What a weirdo. What a wonderful wonderful, Willy Wonka that makes people fight weirdo.
- The look of Sakar, such a vibrantly fun looking alien world.
- Valkirye, she was just awesome
- Grandmaster's sidekick, so much weird tension in every scene with her
- Korg, what a strange take on the character. Wonderful delivery on his whole thing for me. Very funny.
- Skurge, Surtur, and Hela's looks. Couldn't have been better adaptation from the comic. Skurge with the machine guns was all you really ever need from that guy.
- Fenrir. I gasped, as I'm into that giant bad ass wolf. I don't need more than that from a giant wolf. Best giant wolf portrayal on screen for me.
- The fusion of so many storylines from the comics in a way that felt like one complete narrative.
- Scuttlebutt! That ship that they're on at the end is totally Skuttlebutt, right?

- The GM's orgy ship was pretty awesome looking as well

The returning
- Dr. Strange. So glad to see he's running shit on Earth to the degree that he is. Was great to see. I mean Thanos should just pack it up now at this point. How are you going to fuck with a planet that has this guy on it?
- Thor and Loki. My favorite portrayal of their dynamic to date. This is such a weird and complex relationship btwn these two. Loki is Loki, he may feel things about Thor but he's always going to be who he is. And Thor accepts that, and when he does, it almost allows Loki to be another way. It's as if everything there is about him wants to defy being labeled as one thing. Appear to help, but really there to betray, but then really there to help at the end. It only works for a guy like that, and it seems truest to the Norse myth of Loki sometimes being friend and sometimes being foe. It was very satisfying for me to have him and Thor fighting side by side in this, and yet it did not feel like a betrayal of his core character. Good balancing.
- Heimdell, he was awesome in his limited role. That's about as much Heimdell as I need, and it worked.
- Odin being able to reconcile w/ his sons and going out as light. I didn't exactly get why his time was up, but also he's a practically metaphyiscal being so I don't really need to and am ok with that. I also liked him in the suit. Saw some stills of him as a homeless guy in NY and thought this was much better.
- Hulk, loved his look here. They drew on so much. Loved in particular his chilling in his apt look that was plucked perfectly from the Ultimate Hulk vs Ultimate Wolverine storyline.

The Meh, it's fine, but not my fav
- The various villains deals. Hela--it's just like, yeah, I was into fucking shit up and then was told to stop, but it's what I'm into so therefore needed to be locked away. It works, I like that it's not overly complicated, give it too much and it would get top heavy. Same with Sutur though: I just have this need to live out my truth, and fuck shit up. I'm fine with uncomplicated villains and they were good plot pieces to work with to move the story along. Aesthetically, both characters are beautiful, but they were just bad for being bad's sake. I can't say that that's a bad thing as they're not human and I don't need to know the ins and outs of how they work, but it just wasn't compelling. As a threat and a resolution to the threat though it worked wonderfully.

Like I said, I think it's my fav from Marvel thus far, finally dethrowning my former three favs of Iron Man 1, GotG 1 and Winter Soldier for me. We'll see how it holds up with a little time in the mix though.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »
The only thing I didn't like was the woman non-stop talking in a regular non-whisper tone the ENTIRE movie. It was like mystery science theater 3000, only in Spanish and during a movie I actually wanted to be able to listen to. Unfortunately I couldn't think of how to broach the subject w/o being personally involved in the sort of fight that erupted for similar reasons during my viewing of Logan. Aaaah Brooklyn.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2017, 01:50:33 AM »
Watched the movie tonight. Damn enjoyable!
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Thanos6

• +12/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2017, 05:15:10 AM »
One thing I didn't notice until the credits: That Dark World-themed play Loki-as-Odin was watching?  In the play, Thor was played by Hemsworth's brother, Loki by Matt Damon, and Odin by Sam Neill.
Truten forever!

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2017, 08:55:03 AM »
You couldn’t tell it was Matt Damon from the get go?

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
One thing I didn't notice until the credits: That Dark World-themed play Loki-as-Odin was watching?  In the play, Thor was played by Hemsworth's brother, Loki by Matt Damon, and Odin by Sam Neill.

Only one I didn’t recognize was Hemsworth’s brother

As to Sam Neil I was loving it. Is this the first movie he and Goldblum have done together since JP?

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2017, 01:20:30 AM »
You couldn’t tell it was Matt Damon from the get go?

Yeah the local media had a field day with Damon & his family holidaying & staying with Hemsworth's family.

I don't think anyone clicked on that he was here for a cameo.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2017, 07:37:02 AM »
So what was everyone's favorite joke? Mine might be the rock, paper, scissors one especially when you factor in Korg's revolution failed because of lack of flyers and he accidentally crushed Miek later.

...its been a while - i cant remember the rock/paper/scissors

For me standouts were:
- "Prepare to meet the Grandmaster"
- Korgs introductory speech about how he tried to start a revolution but didnt print enough pamphlets and only his Mum and her boyfriend showed up
- The 3 pronged wooden spear that would only be good for killing 3 vampires who were standing close together
- Thor revealing how Loki traumatised him as a child by transforming into a snake and waiting till Thor - who loved snakes - picked the snake up to pat it before changing back and yelled "Its me!"
- "The Dark World" play

Things that didnt work:
- spinning on the chain in front of Surtur (as mentioned before, this is becoming a super predictable type of joke in Marvel films)
- Everything Korg after they leave Asgard (the foundations joke was too obvious and the final Miek joke was super-meh
- hate to disagree with 80sBaby but Valkyrie falling off the ramp really fell flat (haw haw) in my screening

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »
- hate to disagree with 80sBaby but Valkyrie falling off the ramp really fell flat (haw haw) in my screening

For me, that scene pretty much gave an indication of how the humour was gonna play out of the rest of the movie.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
So what was everyone's favorite joke? Mine might be the rock, paper, scissors one especially when you factor in Korg's revolution failed because of lack of flyers and he accidentally crushed Miek later.

...its been a while - i cant remember the rock/paper/scissors

For me standouts were:
- Korgs introductory speech about how he tried to start a revolution but didnt print enough pamphlets and only his Mum and her boyfriend showed up
- The 3 pronged wooden spear that would only be good for killing 3 vampires who were standing close together
- Thor revealing how Loki traumatised him as a child by transforming into a snake and waiting till Thor - who loved snakes - picked the snake up to pat it before changing back and yelled "Its me!"
- "The Dark World" play

Things that didnt work:
- spinning on the chain in front of Surtur (as mentioned before, this is becoming a super predictable type of joke in Marvel films)
- Everything Korg after they leave Asgard (the foundations joke was too obvious and the final Miek joke was super-meh

"I'm made of rocks. You don't need to be afraid unless you're made of scissors."

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »

For me, that scene pretty much gave an indication of how the humour was gonna play out of the rest of the movie.

For myself that felt more like the kind of joke that has been getting increasingly overplayed in Marvel films since Whedon first introduced it in Avengers - something serious, usually a villainous monologue, is unexpectedly interrupted by a humorous moment. I didnt really get a feel for a different comic voice until the Loki play on Asgard and then it kicked in more once they got to Sakaar with Korg, Goldblum et al.

"I'm made of rocks. You don't need to be afraid unless you're made of scissors."

Ah, gotcha.

AP

• +51/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »
Yeah, I've gotten a little bored with the "someone makes a grand entrance/speech, then something goofy happens to him/her" joke.

superlurker

• +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »
For me standouts were:

One of the flaws to me about this scene and a few others was how it tended to sacrifice character for humor, rather than let the humor flow from character. The way Thor was screaming was funny, but it felt like a parody. Thor in this movie in many scenes seemed a lot more like it was just Chris Hemsworth being himself and joking around rather than trying to play Thor.