Herochat

Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers

Insane Titan

• +4/-10
    • View Profile
Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
Saw this earlier , easily a 9/10.

Most enjoyable marvel movie for, Korg steals the show. He’s fucking hilarious.

Feel free to ask anything

Rage.Of.Olympus

• +1/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Thor : Ragnarok-spoilers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »
By all accounts this movie was awesome with some great balance between comedy and end-of-world stakes.

So on to the fag stuff. Thor vs Hulk, what's the dealio? Can I masturbate next week with sweet Italian tears or do I go all white-supremacist on a theatre?

Insane Titan

• +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:08:07 AM »
By all accounts this movie was awesome with some great balance between comedy and end-of-world stakes.

So on to the fag stuff. Thor vs Hulk, what's the dealio? Can I masturbate next week with sweet Italian tears or do I go all white-supremacist on a theatre?
Thor does really well and isn’t dominated like people thought he would be. Thor actually is winning the fight once he goes all lighting power god mode until headmaster zaps him.

Hela comes off pretty unbeatable , that’s until Surtur shows up

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:20:20 AM »
What role does Fenrus play?

Insane Titan

• +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 04:24:19 AM »

Thor does really well and isn’t dominated like people thought he would be. Thor actually is winning the fight once he goes all lighting power god mode until headmaster zaps him.

Hela comes off pretty unbeatable , that’s until Surtur shows up
Not much tbh, Hela resurrects him. He’s in the final battle and has a brief fight with Hulk on the rainbow bridge

LiquidSailor

• +48/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 04:38:26 AM »
How hot was Hulk's bare ass in this?

DIGUSTING

Insane Titan

• +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:41:24 AM »
How hot was Hulk's bare ass in this?
Tight

AP

• +51/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:44:48 AM »
Sitting down to watch this now.

AP

• +51/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
So here's my take.

The Good:

As usual, the Thor/Loki dynamic is top notch.  Their relationship has evolved in really interesting ways, especially by the end.

Odin's farewell was really touching.  He actually expressed love for BOTH his sons and Loki looked heartbroken when he said this.

Hulk vs Thor is so badass.  At first, I wasn't so excited since we already saw a Thor/Hulk fight in Avengers but looking back, it wasn't as brutal as it could have been.  There was a nice back and forth here with both of them smashing the hell out of each other.  It was nice that Thor had a hammer for most of it, too and his power returned briefly so we could get a semblance of a classic Hulk/Thor battle.  They even poked fun at Black's Widow's lullaby and the Loki ragdolling.  Loved Loki shouting "Yes, that's how that feels!".

The movie looks gorgeous.  There were a lot fo great shots, the sets looked amazing, and I generally loved the look of it.  Ditto for the music.

The opening fight with Surtur, Hela's battle against Asgard, and the climax were all really well done.  Oh, and the escape from Sakaar.  Really, all the action scenes.

Goldblum really was at peak Goldblum here.

We finally get some character development from Hulk.  We always get things from Banner's POV, but we rarely get to see Hulk's personality outside of him breaking stuff.

Valkyrie was really cool and I wasn't expecting much from her from the trailers.

Heimdall acting as the leader of the rebellion was not expected.  They always find awesome things to do with him in these movies.

Carl Urban and Cate Blanchet were fun to watch as always.

I liked that Tony Stark can still manage to be a dick to Thor even when he's not around (the "Point Break" bit on the quinjet).

Lots of great easter eggs like Thor threatening to decapitate Loki with Mjolnir (straight from Simonson's run) to Loki unleashing Surtur at the end (straight from Norse myth), to references to the past movies (the Tesseract, the fake Infinity Gauntlet, the Casket of Winters, etc.)  Oh, and I'm 100% certain Loki pocketed the Tesseract.

The Bad

A lot of the jokes fell flat for me.  I still chuckled here and there (the aforementioned "Point Break" joke for instance of Stan Lee's cameo were good), but I was surprised since I usually like Marvel's sense of humor and I loved Waititi's humor in Flight of the Conchords and What We Do In The Shadows.

As much as I like Cate Blanchet, I wish we got more Hela backstory.  I felt like we could have gotten more of Asgard's darker days.

The pace at the beginning was a little rushed.  It felt like we went from Surtur's realm, to Asgard, and then to Dr Strange's place in about 20 minutes.

I HATED how the Warrior's Three were unceremoniously killed off.  Thankfully, Sif wasn't in the movie, so I guess she was spared.

Battleboard Stuff

With the hammer, we see Thor spinning the hammer to block fireballs and even knocked Surtur's head off with it.  He was also allowing the hammer to fly around and hit demons while he was punching and kicking others into the air.  It was a fun usage of the hammer, so I was really sad to see it go.  Thor casually hops from ship to ship, tearing them apart with his barehands after losing the hammer.  After fully realizing his power, Thor was sending multiple peels of lightning down on people, capable of punching Hulk across the arena, and it looked like he disintegrated a few bad guys.  He was doing some big Hulk-type leaps and stuff, too.  Also, he charged a sword and started using it at one point and had an easy time of blasting off a section of the Bi-Frost (as opposed to the first movie where it took a few swings).

Hulk was tossing Fenris Wolf around a bit.  The few times he landed a clean hit against Thor in the arena, Thor went flying into the walls and took out a section or two.

Fenris bit into Hulk's leg and dragged him underwater at one point.  He seemed roughly on par with him until he fell off the waterfall.

Surtur didn't seem that powerful at the start, but he claimed he wasn't at full power (he was only about 8ft tall).  At the end, he was at Asgard destroying, Hulk swatting levels and it was glorious.

Hela took down the entire Asgardian army and was even shooting down ships.  It looked like she was bulletrpoof as well.  Even after Thor was fully powered, she was fighting him and Valkyrie pretty easily.  Definite powerhouse.

Valkyrie playfully kicked the Hulk to the ground and was also doing a little spaceship hopping with Thor.  She redirected a large canon, too.  She didn't have a direct fight against Hulk, but she did beat up Loki.

Heimdall can apparently communicate telepathically.

Loki had a spell over Odin that took a while to wear off.  Even Odin was impressed.  Loki also saw into Valkyrie's mind.

Dr Strange was pretty casually banishing Loki and teleporting Thor all over the mansion.  When Loki wanted a fight, he literally threw a portal at them and sent them to Norway.  He's only in the movie for maybe five minutes and he showed he's gotten more powerful.  The wife took note of it and she doesn't normally care about that kind of thing.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »

I think both sets of fans will be fairly happy.

Short version: in straight hand to hand, Thor is shown as way more skilled but Hulk looks a lot stronger and is clearly on the verge of winning. Thor then taps full thunder god mode and looks more powerful but the fight is interrupted shortly thereafter.

Long version:

****SPOILER HEAVY breakdown:
- Thor initially is reluctant to fight which lets Hulk get in some cheap hits
- Thor attempts to calm Hulk down using the Black Widow "sun's getting real low" trick which leads to him getting the "puny God" treatment, probably the funniest scene in the movie
- Thor decides he's had enough of trying to calm Hulk down and is going to beat Banner out of him
- Thor lands a LOT of unanswered attacks at this point and is basically dancing around Hulk at will, it does look like a martial artist against a very large child, the skill gulf is huge
- eventually Hulk drops to the floor and Thor goes to finish it with a big hammer shot to the head. Hulk palms the hammer Superman-style and Thor has an "uh oh" moment when he sees Hulk's angry face, not unlike the Hulkbuster Iron Man fight from AoU
- Hulk then punches Thor across the arena, jumps up, lands on him and starts a sustained ground and pound. It's channelling the Hulk vs Surfer fight from Planet Hulk a bit with the crowd growing increasingly uncomfortable with the brutality of the beat-down, but unlike that fight, Thor is still conscious
- Thor's mind drifts off to a vision of the recently-deceased Odin (*), his eyes glow and he unleashes with a *huge* lightning strike that knocks Hulk away. Glowy-eye god mode Thor and Hulk (after a brief recovery period) leap at each other, Thor lands his lightning-charged punch first and there's a huge explosion.
- Hulk gets up and is ready to face down glowy Thor but the momentum of the fight has clearly turned and the outcome is in doubt. This prompts the Grandmaster to drop Thor via his obedience disk, at which point Hulk leaps up and smashes back down on the prone Thor for the KO

(*) the vision of Odin is expanded upon in the climatic action scene of Thor vs Hela. Hela is wrecking Thor, who again has a vision of his father. This time Odin speaks to him, and reminds him that he is not the god of hammers; Mjolnir was never his source of power, just a way for him to channel it more easily. According to Odin, in his full glowy eye god of thunder mode, Thor is actually stronger than Odin himself.

Cheers.

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
Basically agree with AP & LGU on the film & the fight. A couple more fight related thoughts:

Its worth noting how many callbacks there are to their fight from the Avengers movie: Hulk sends Thor flying with a blow, Thor waits strategically to catch Hulk with a hammer shot just as he is charging in (to similar effect). The hammer catch was definitely reminiscent of JLA/Avengers, Hulk ground and pound is very similar to Kurse, and Thor attempts a chokehold which Hulk breaks by jumping into the air and landing on his back etc. The final lightning collision/punch also reminded me of when Caeira hit Hulk with the Oldpower in Planet Hulk what with the crater and the two of them flying backwards though these could just be me reading into things.

At any rate the first scene where Thor fights Surtur's minions is definitely reminiscent of Thor vs the Frost Giant from the first movie: Thor is getting rushed from all sides, then begins spinning Mjolnir to repel them then the camera follows Mjolnir after he throws it and it takes out a bunch of opponents then he jumps into the air and hits the ground with a lightning strike/shockwave.

80sBaby

• +22/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
Only skimming this topic so as not to spoil myself too much but what I've heard so far has me hyped as hell!!

TURBODERP

• +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
So the hammer is destroyed by Hela, and Thor DOESN'T get it back/a new one made? Interesting.

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 02:29:59 AM »
Does the end clue us in on to why Thor is drifting in Space in the Infinity War Trailer?

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 02:42:16 AM »
So the hammer is destroyed by Hela, and Thor DOESN'T get it back/a new one made? Interesting.

Not only that - Thor loses an eye a la Odin during his fight with Hela. Luckily he has both arms at the end.

Does the end clue us in on to why Thor is drifting in Space in the Infinity War Trailer?

The first after credits scene shows the Asgardian ship being confronted by a gigantic spacecraft - im not sure but it could be someone from GOTG 2? Maybe im just misremembering that but it seemed vaguely familiar.