Herochat

Why do the big 2 even bother killing a SH when everyone knows they will be back?

shadowknight

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
There was a time when death meant something. WM died and stayed dead for 20 odd yrs,  Bucky died and stayed dead for over 30 yrs, Flash & SG died and stayed that way for over 30 yrs. I never believe SM would stay dead after DD kill him since he's DC arguarbly biggest cash cow. To tell the truth I don't blame Marvel for bringing back Peter Parker & Wolverine since they're Marvel 2 biggest cash cow. But Hawkeye, Wasp, Vision, WM, Colossus, Nightcrawler and too many other X-men to list have come back from the dead. So why even bother, most of the  people I've listed or B to C-list characters, dead uses to mean dead. Nowdays dead means a 9 mth to 4 yr sabatical. Does anyone really believe Cyclops, Prof X, Hulk or even Vision wife gone for good?

The thing is the shock value is gone from heros dying, no one care if Jane Foster Thor will die in a couple of months from now. So why continue doing it?

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Because it’s part of the mythic journey of the hero. Live, die, journey through hell, be reborn having learned and grown. Anyone who’s upset or surprised when a dead character returns doesn’t understand the genre. The one thing I dislike is when the creative team swears that this time “It’s for real!” Just stop.

Alternatively, Morrison did the “death” of Bruce Wayne really well. The readers knew immediately that Bruce was still alive, but in-universe Bruce’s friends, family and co-workers had to deal with the ramifications of his “death.”

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
In addition to what MTL said, I've always thought it was a way to make some room for writers to focus on different characters.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
In addition to what MTL said, I've always thought it was a way to make some room for writers to focus on different characters.
And in addition to what you've both said, comics are a medium where new writers come in, and can bring back characters that old writers got rid of for a variety of reasons.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

altoon

• +6/-5
    • View Profile
I think that what happen with b and c lister.  New writer comes along and bring them back cause dead character was one they liked

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
I think that what happen with b and c lister.  New writer comes along and bring them back cause dead character was one they liked
Exactly.

Granted, that can work against the character. A crappy resurrection is hard to live down.

shadowknight

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Then do what they did with Tony Stark or BP sister put him or her in a coma. Or do a FF bit and put them in another universe. Another alternative is simply write them out, Northstar, Stingray, Thena, Ikaris, Sersi, New Warriors and too many other Marvel heroes to list are still around but  after a failed comic book launch are in limbo. You don't need to kill a character that everyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows they'll be back in 4 yrs or less.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
But stories of characters returning from death can be entertaining. Like Nightcrawler. A devout Christians who basically rejects Heaven because he misses his friends? Thats an interesting story.

TURBODERP

• +1/-3
    • View Profile
The one thing I dislike is when the creative team swears that this time “It’s for real!” Just stop.

DING DING DING

this is the big one

comics in part are great because a lot of the time, the stories that are good are about the journey and not the destination-Kid Loki and Lifebringer Galactus are two great examples-because the destination will almost certainly be reversed or retconned or functionally undone in the future, and by resetting things every so often you can tell a new story in similar circumstances, or rewrite a story to be better

but when authors try and hamfist "THEY'RE DEAD FOREVER NOW I PROMISE" or even "CHANGED FOREVER" then for me I semi-tune out because honestly very very very few big name characters have their deaths or massive changes stick around, and an author going "this time i sware it's different" doesn't really seem earnest. Or even if they're earnest I know it likely won't stick around.

Tjackflash

• +1/-35
    • View Profile
   Robert A. Heinlein wrote that " Whenever you have to ask; Why do "they" do a thing the answer is always money."
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
^^^Ooh, imma use that!