Herochat

Will Trump go down as the worst president ever?

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: Will Trump go down as the worst president ever?
« Reply #690 on: November 15, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »
How would the public be able to hold him accountable if the news is unable to report what he's doing because they aren't allowed in the WH? If the only people allowed in are ones who will treat him favorably or with kid gloves then isn't that an issue?

The news industry is still able to report what Trump is doing. No major news organization has been banned from the White House. No attempts at censorship on reporting the events of the White House have taken place. A culling of the White House reporters has not taken place. One reporter, with a history of somewhat unprofessional behavior, has had his press pass revoked. I think this is being blown out of proportion. I can disagree with what Trump did without thinking this is a legal issue, or thinking he shouldn't have the authority to do it, or that this is an affront to the concept of a free and open press.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

therock

• +50/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 15, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »
kind of against the principle especially combined with the other shit he said or did. since it all about putting the fear into other reporters in the press  room.  who says he will be the only one banned.  what if another reporter says something to piss him off.  maybe he might feel a reporter ask a racist question or fake news and ban them for that

then he added in a a doctored tape and using presidential power to push it. that might be breaking slander laws or fraud. even if he was a normal guy he might get in trouble for that let alone the president

therock

• +50/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 15, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
also the idea he wouldnt pull this stuff because he knows it be a public backlash.

who says he cares or  he  think there will be. he done stuff that would tank a normal president and made it out. why wouldnt he think he get away with this. history shown he can. he has a bottom if 35% percent. that 35 ride or die and the most likely of voters. his maxium seem to be mid 40's. dont seem mentally capable of reaching high 50. there people who will always hate him and always love him. so dude has nothing to lose

and who to say the backlash. the shot that been happening georgia seem to be dying. just add some more voter suppression dudes golden. can lose millions of voted and win. and if he lose he still made billions from this president scam and where stuck with this bad presicident even with him gone

dude has shown he go as far as we allow. where

people can say if he bans reporters left and right people would get mad. but how many will it take.  and will they get mad before the point reporters hesitant to ask tough questions

Bran Mak Morn

• +16/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 16, 2018, 02:42:10 AM »
then he added in a a doctored tape and using presidential power to push it. that might be breaking slander laws or fraud. even if he was a normal guy he might get in trouble for that let alone the president

This isn't making much headlines here in Australia but has it been proven 100% that the footage was doctored???

I mean I can't imagine Trump concerned or smart enough to quickly suggest & sanction altering the footage.
More like his spin doctors altered the footage behind his back & then released it with his approval.

Is the intern even pressing charges of assault?

It's ridiculously sad if it's true. It's outright fraudulent & yet that aspect is being completely ignored by both the public & the law.

Thanos6

• +21/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 16, 2018, 05:14:48 AM »
Quote from: MTL76
I highly doubt that will ever happen, as any President who does so will look like a fool and will suffer an enormous backlash, which I think would dissuade any President from doing so... Even Trump.

Yeah, like Rock said, he doesn't give a damn what any member of the public thinks.
Truten forever!

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 16, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »
How would the public be able to hold him accountable if the news is unable to report what he's doing because they aren't allowed in the WH? If the only people allowed in are ones who will treat him favorably or with kid gloves then isn't that an issue?

The news industry is still able to report what Trump is doing. No major news organization has been banned from the White House. No attempts at censorship on reporting the events of the White House have taken place. A culling of the White House reporters has not taken place. One reporter, with a history of somewhat unprofessional behavior, has had his press pass revoked. I think this is being blown out of proportion. I can disagree with what Trump did without thinking this is a legal issue, or thinking he shouldn't have the authority to do it, or that this is an affront to the concept of a free and open press.

I'm not sure you understand how "precedents" work. Nobody is saying that he's getting rid of all the press. Yet. And that "yet" is the issue. You don't want to allow it to happen, even once.

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 16, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »

This isn't making much headlines here in Australia but has it been proven 100% that the footage was doctored???

I mean I can't imagine Trump concerned or smart enough to quickly suggest & sanction altering the footage.
More like his spin doctors altered the footage behind his back & then released it with his approval.

Is the intern even pressing charges of assault?

It's ridiculously sad if it's true. It's outright fraudulent & yet that aspect is being completely ignored by both the public & the law.
Yes, it's 100% doctored and was almost definitely done without his guidance by InfoWars. He's doubling down and entrenching himself in the blatant, easily provable lie because his supporters pretend that's 'defending himself' or 'being tough'.

You want to ban somebody and tell their agency to send a different reporter? I can see reasoning for that. Falsifying evidence in front of the entire world and using that as your reasoning is absolutely unacceptable.

Bran Mak Morn

• +16/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 16, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
That's what I'm not understanding about American politics & it's people...

Yes, it's totally unacceptable...but he's getting away with it?!!?

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 16, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »
Well the thing is, to some Americans, it IS acceptable to them.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 16, 2018, 12:12:10 PM »

I'm not sure you understand how "precedents" work. Nobody is saying that he's getting rid of all the press. Yet. And that "yet" is the issue. You don't want to allow it to happen, even once.

Exactly. If you want to "cross that bridge when we get there" well for me this is the bridge.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 16, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »
Exactly. If you want to "cross that bridge when we get there" well for me this is the bridge.

I’m not telling you (or anyone) how to feel about it. Get upset. My point is that it seems ridiculous to me that this is being decided by a judge and is being viewed as a First Amendment issue instead of an administrative one.

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 16, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
He made it a first amendment issue when he was caught directly lying about the incident. He didn't have to, but that's what Trump did.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 16, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
He made it a first amendment issue when he was caught directly lying about the incident. He didn't have to, but that's what Trump did.

I don’t follow this line of thinking. If Acosta thinks he’s been libeled/slandered, I suppose he can pursue that, but I don’t see how it relates to his First Amendment rights.

Also, how was the video doctored? I have heard that the apparent speeding up of the video was due to compressing the video file and/or transferring it from one format to another, which is something I know zilch about.

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 16, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »

I don’t follow this line of thinking. If Acosta thinks he’s been libeled/slandered, I suppose he can pursue that, but I don’t see how it relates to his First Amendment rights.

Also, how was the video doctored? I have heard that the apparent speeding up of the video was due to compressing the video file and/or transferring it from one format to another, which is something I know zilch about.
He was banned and publicly castigated because Trump didn't like being asked questions about lies he was telling the public on a daily basis. That's literally the job of the White House Press Corps.

Then, as an excuse to ban a member of the press, he lied AGAIN and used doctored video as the evidence to support his ban.

He didn't say "I just hate the guy and want them to send somebody else." He tried to stifle freedom of the press, specifically, under false pretenses. He created this situation, personally. That's why it became a first amendment issue instead of Trump just being a dipshit again.

The video was edited and PJ Watson constructed a narrative around the edited footage. The live footage completely contradicted what he needed for the narrative, so he worked around that by doctoring the video.

Using the sped up footage, PJ made it appear that Acosta struck the intern when you can clearly see otherwise in the live footage. Knowing full well that this was falsified information, the White House Administration used it as their justification.

You really need to reflect on why you can't wrap your head around everyone's very real first amendment problem with doctored footage being used by a President (who has spent years attacking the first amendment, publicly) to attack first amendment rights yet again.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 16, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »

I’m not telling you (or anyone) how to feel about it. Get upset. My point is that it seems ridiculous to me that this is being decided by a judge and is being viewed as a First Amendment issue instead of an administrative one.

If it's an adminstrative one how does it get corrected? It's not like Acosta can go to the white house HR.

Compressing or changing the file format isn't going to alter the speed of a small part of the video. At can change the audio and video quality but that's about it. If the compressing or file change created a glitch it would be easily noticable by anyone watching it. It would look more like how lag in  an online game looks. You can easily tell the video was professionally altered by how smooth it is.