Herochat

Will Trump go down as the worst president ever?

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +10/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Will Trump go down as the worst president ever?
« Reply #315 on: June 11, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »
Trump's stolen Supreme Court Nomination is actively doing the work of the devils

https://thinkprogress.org/neil-gorsuch-sveen-v-malin-most-radical-opinion-yet-233125a182f6/

The original Constitution forbids states from enacting a “law impairing the obligation of contracts.” According to Gorsuch’s lone dissent, this means that any law that prevents an already-existing contract from being enforced is invalid. Gorsuch’s rule, moreover, is quite unforgiving — “any legislative deviation from a contract’s obligations, ‘however minute, or apparently immaterial,’ violates the Constitution.”

Were this rule to become the law, it would have staggering consequences across many areas of the law. Suppose that Joe agrees to pay Ali $10 an hour to work in Joe’s factory. Now suppose that the state legislature passes a law increasing the minimum wage to $12 dollars an hour. Under Gorsuch’s rule, Joe and Ali’s employment contract preceded the state minimum wage law, so the minimum wage law could not, in this instance, apply to Ali.

Or imagine that a power plant, which uses an extraordinary dirty method to produce power, contracts with a power company to provide a certain amount of energy to the power company’s customers. Then imagine that a state passes a law banning this very dirty form of energy production, effectively requiring power plants to adopt less polluting technology. Under Gorsuch’s rule, that state law would impair an existing contract, and thus would be unconstitutional as applied to this power plant.

Or imagine that a crop-duster contracts with a local farmer to spray a highly toxic pesticide on the farmer’s crops. After several scientific studies reveal that even trace amounts of this pesticide cause severe brain damage in children, the state bans the use of the pesticide. Under Gorsuch’s rule, this state law would impair the existing contract between the farmer and the crop duster, and thus the farmer could continue to poison nearby children
Sig : Sydney Maler

Propeus The Fallen

• +31/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 13, 2018, 01:13:34 AM »
Elections have consequences and McConnell can drink bleach.

And on the summit, so North Korea gets to look great with the American President, gets the war game practices done with...and North Korea media is saying Trump will lift the sanctions put on them.

And we didn't even get a time table.

And that video.

This is something you would see in a bad comedy with a doofu becoming president. This should not be reality!

Registered Sex Offender

• +6/-856
  • Arrested irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 13, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
So now that Trump has accomplished peace with NK, something good no other president has even ever tried to do, that's pretty good right?
Adult Swim handled this correctly.

Xerxes in regards to Dan Harmon NOT being fired when his baby raping parody video was exposed.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 13, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
So now that Trump has accomplished peace with NK, something good no other president has even ever tried to do, that's pretty good right?

North Korea has had peace talks multiple times in the past.  Typically, after they get what they want, they go right back to being assholes.  It remains to be seen if anything comes of this.

Also, South Korea has had a larger role than Trump.

Registered Sex Offender

• +6/-856
  • Arrested irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »

North Korea has had peace talks multiple times in the past.  Typically, after they get what they want, they go right back to being assholes.  It remains to be seen if anything comes of this.

Also, South Korea has had a larger role than Trump.

I disagree since Trump is the major authority at the summit

Xerxes in regards to Dan Harmon NOT being fired when his baby raping parody video was exposed.

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
He absolutely did NOT "accomplish peace with NK". Not even close to accurate.

What he did is exactly what he spent the better part of a decade blaming Obama for. He made a bad deal because he can't wrap his head around any kind of actual strategy. He doesn't even want to know, he just likes the idea of a photo op. That's why he had a coin minted.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:04:00 PM by XerxesTWD »

Registered Sex Offender

• +6/-856
  • Arrested irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 13, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »
So if there was no peace deal, what was accomplished?

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 13, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
A photo op and Trump proving he's as bad at negotiation as people have been saying for decades. That's it.

He wanted talking points, not an actual real deal.

Actual peace takes several meetings to broker. You really think DONALD TRUMP can go that long without doing something to ruin it?

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 13, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »

I don’t think anyone (AFAIK) is calling this a finalized peace deal, including the current administration. What it is, is an important early step. Not the first step, as a lot of groundwork was laid prior to this meeting, which is mostly symbolic. However that doesn’t mean it’s a pointless exercise. It might all lead to nothing, but I’m cautiously optimistic. A real, lasting treaty is going to take time. A lot of time, most likely several years. People seem to want immediate results and that simply isn’t going to happen.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Registered Sex Offender

• +6/-856
  • Arrested irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 13, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »
War with NK will be less likely as time goes on. I'd say it's a major step toward peace.

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 13, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
War with NK will be less likely as time goes on. I'd say it's a major step toward peace.
I'll be extremely surprised if Trump can keep his cool since NK TV is saying Kim controlled the conference and forced the US to cancel all joint training war games.

Trump also recognized, praised and gave credibility to the leadership of North Korea. Do you understand what that means?

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »
I'll be extremely surprised if Trump can keep his cool since NK TV is saying Kim controlled the conference and forced the US to cancel all joint training war games.

Trump also recognized, praised and gave credibility to the leadership of North Korea. Do you understand what that means?

Would you expect the North Korean media to say anything else? I’m cognizant of the chance of Trump’s Tweeting in anger sabotaging things, but we’ll see. His name is being floated as a contender for the Nobel Peace Prize. That’s may be enough to keep him focused on making nice.

Suspending war games with South Korea is nothing. They are clearly provocative to the North Koreans, they can always be reinstated, and they’re somewhat useless since everyone knows that if war breaks out, there’s no way South Korea will avoid being devastated. They’re designed to intimidate Nirth Korea, but that’s not helpful right now. Bill Clinton suspended them temporarily during his presidency for the same reason. It’s a small gesture for us to give to the North Koreans.

As for praising North Korea’s leadership... What’s your point? These are the things one says when thawing out relations with a country you’ve technically been st war with for decades. Everyone knows what the North Koreans are, Trump’s compliments aren’t going to change that. It’s harmless flattery and a way to give face to North Korea. I realize it’s unpalatable, but that’s diplomacy. I don’t think the North Koreans would be too eager to proceed if we told them what assholes they were.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 13, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »

Would you expect the North Korean media to say anything else? I’m cognizant of the chance of Trump’s Tweeting in anger sabotaging things, but we’ll see. His name is being floated as a contender for the Nobel Peace Prize. That’s may be enough to keep him focused on making nice.
I doubt anything can actually keep him focused. Trump is demonstrably stupid on a DAILY basis. He was talking shit before and after that nomination occurred.

Suspending war games with South Korea is nothing. They are clearly provocative to the North Koreans, they can always be reinstated, and they’re somewhat useless since everyone knows that if war breaks out, there’s no way South Korea will avoid being devastated. They’re designed to intimidate Nirth Korea, but that’s not helpful right now. Bill Clinton suspended them temporarily during his presidency for the same reason. It’s a small gesture for us to give to the North Koreans.
Suspending war games in South Korea is part of Trump's incredibly misinformed plan to vacate South Korea and eventually Japan altogether. He's flat-out not intelligent enough to even understand the value we get from having a presence there and has cemented that fact repeatedly over the past 3 years.

As for praising North Korea’s leadership... What’s your point?
I'm not even sure what you're asking me here. Do you actually know anything about North Korea? Your arguments indicate you do not.

These are the things one says when thawing out relations with a country you’ve technically been st war with for decades. Everyone knows what the North Koreans are, Trump’s compliments aren’t going to change that. It’s harmless flattery and a way to give face to North Korea. I realize it’s unpalatable, but that’s diplomacy. I don’t think the North Koreans would be too eager to proceed if we told them what assholes they were.
Trump's compliments will bolster Kim's actions. He's horrible at negotiation, as he has conclusively proven since the 1970's, and he's horrible at diplomacy. He can't wrap his head around why it exists because he wants the bully pulpit. As soon as he feels he is not being praised, he will throw another tantrum.

superlurker

• +22/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 13, 2018, 06:00:17 PM »

Trump getting the Nobel Peace Prize for this would be even worse than when Obama got it. And given the people who sit on that committee, he's extremely unlikely to get it given what he's done so far. Since the prize winner for the year is announced in early October, that's about four months' worth of motivation to play nice, at best.