Herochat

Will Trump go down as the worst president ever?

Propeus The Fallen

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
Will Trump go down as the worst president ever?
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
I mean, I'm pretty sure he's going to lock up worst modern day president by the end of the year, but can he ever unseat James Buchanan as the worst president ever?

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
Re: Will Trump go down as the worst president ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:57:25 AM »
We'll see how he compares to Jackson.  As far as mordern presidents go, I think he has it in the bag.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
We'll see how he compares to Jackson.  As far as mordern presidents go, I think he has it in the bag.

Agreed

W. is sitting somewhere painting himself bathing with dogs and every 10 mins saying "fuck yeah" out loud to no one in particular, occasionally giggling while he sips his mint tea.

NeoGreenLantern

• +66/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »
Trump is the best thing that happened to Dubya. That and not having to be president anymore.

But yeah Trump will probably be top three with Jackson and Nixon.

80sBaby

• +23/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »
People act like they actually like Dubya now. Posting pics of him laughing with Michelle, talking about "This is how friendship looks" and the like.

That's says it all.

Propeus The Fallen

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
Trump is the best thing that happened to Dubya. That and not having to be president anymore.

How do you have James Buchanan not the worst? The guy let the Civil War happen!! Look, I get that Andrew Jackson was a racist and he is probably in hell for what he did but he did take the power that was the rich and elite and give it to the common man. Was a war hero. He thought against government corruption. Nearly beat his assassin to death. Told South Carolina to screw off when they first talked about splitting from the union.

Do I think he deserves to be on a dollar bill? No. But he shouldn't be recognized as the worst president.

Nixon. Hm, that one I can see because it is more modern with different norms than Jackson and Buchanan. But I still think Buchanan takes it as worse president.  Again he actually did do a few good things.

Buchanan was just horrible all the way around. The guy was a screw-up that was given a position far away and easy...and then somehow people thought that meant he was talented and qualified. In other words, he was a less jackass Trump.

herochat

• +104/-80
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
If Trump somehow manages to last all 4 years, then yes, he will
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

NeoGreenLantern

• +66/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »

How do you have James Buchanan not the worst? The guy let the Civil War happen!! Look, I get that Andrew Jackson was a racist and he is probably in hell for what he did but he did take the power that was the rich and elite and give it to the common man. Was a war hero. He thought against government corruption. Nearly beat his assassin to death. Told South Carolina to screw off when they first talked about splitting from the union.

Do I think he deserves to be on a dollar bill? No. But he shouldn't be recognized as the worst president.

Nixon. Hm, that one I can see because it is more modern with different norms than Jackson and Buchanan. But I still think Buchanan takes it as worse president.  Again he actually did do a few good things.

Buchanan was just horrible all the way around. The guy was a screw-up that was given a position far away and easy...and then somehow people thought that meant he was talented and qualified. In other words, he was a less jackass Trump.

Probably because I don't know as much about Buchanan.

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Andrew Johnson yet? That guy has to be among the very worst ever. He did all possible to help the just defeated south restore and reinforce it's racial biases. Which helped foster a setting where bigoted organizations like the KKK could feel comfortable and thrive. His mistakes and outright bigotry continue to reverberate until this day. For worst ever, it's is probably between him and Buchanan imo. Who was every bit as much of a shit as Prop has described.

Trump certainly seems to be on a path to join them at the bottom of the barrel. He's already much worse than Nixon. Who obvious reasons aside, actually did some positive things of consequence in his time. Would we ever see Trump taking part in studying environmental problems and creating the EPA? Or fostering better relations with China? The Don is fine with inviting nuclear war, while undoing pollution standards on the homefront. And doing so in the name of "small businesses." Which is bullshit. The local deli, pizzeria, or gift store are not creating mass waste and engaging in dumping. The energy and chemical conglomerates are the ones doing that. With Trump executive order and crony appoint clearing the way for them to poison everyone else.

Reagan deserves a mention as being especially terrible among the modern group as well. All short term thinking and feel good symbolism. But he, more than any other President, helped create the blueprint for the modern GOP. Which has become a party of radicals that mass empire and military industrial complex build. While draining power and domestic resources from average citizens. Things might have been so much better if the elder Bush has won in 1980 instead.
Sig : Emilie Nereng aka Voe

Propeus The Fallen

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Andrew Johnson yet? That guy has to be among the very worst ever. He did all possible to help the just defeated south restore and reinforce it's racial biases. Which helped foster a setting where bigoted organizations like the KKK could feel comfortable and thrive. His mistakes and outright bigotry continue to reverberate until this day. For worst ever, it's is probably between him and Buchanan imo. Who was every bit as much of a shit as Prop has described.

Trump certainly seems to be on a path to join them at the bottom of the barrel. He's already much worse than Nixon. Who obvious reasons aside, actually did some positive things of consequence in his time. Would we ever see Trump taking part in studying environmental problems and creating the EPA? Or fostering better relations with China? The Don is fine with inviting nuclear war, while undoing pollution standards on the homefront. And doing so in the name of "small businesses." Which is bullshit. The local deli, pizzeria, or gift store are not creating mass waste and engaging in dumping. The energy and chemical conglomerates are the ones doing that. With Trump executive order and crony appoint clearing the way for them to poison everyone else.

Reagan deserves a mention as being especially terrible among the modern group as well. All short term thinking and feel good symbolism. But he, more than any other President, helped create the blueprint for the modern GOP. Which has become a party of radicals that mass empire and military industrial complex build. While draining power and domestic resources from average citizens. Things might have been so much better if the elder Bush has won in 1980 instead.

Yeah, if I have Buchanan as number one, Johnson has to be in my top five somewhere. Anyone see that movie on TMC about Johnson, yeah, I'm from Tennessee and I admit it's pretty much all garbage.

Actually, come to think of it alot of the presidents from that time, like Pierce should easily be in the top ten. 

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »

Yeah, if I have Buchanan as number one, Johnson has to be in my top five somewhere. Anyone see that movie on TMC about Johnson, yeah, I'm from Tennessee and I admit it's pretty much all garbage.

Actually, come to think of it alot of the presidents from that time, like Pierce should easily be in the top ten.

You're not kidding. No wonder the 1800's were rather shitty.

Before Pierce you had Fillmore, who was useless too. And was there anyone good between Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt?
Sig : Emilie Nereng aka Voe

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 10:06:18 PM »
Jackson was considered racist even by the standards of the 1800's.  Let that shit sink in.

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15:41 PM »

yea nixon could be pretty progressive at times

it just he was a crazy paranoid bastard.  Oddly enough with watergate he was pretty ahead of the dems so it was unneeded  as fuck

Propeus The Fallen

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 10:17:37 PM »
Yeah. I can't think of a good one. In fact, looking at a list of presidents and...damn, we have not a good track record when I go, "The lecheous Hillbilly might crack the top ten." :)

And yeah, Jackson was racist, but he did do a lot of good too...compared to people ahead and behind him. I mean, wow.

Nixon was actually okay, weird, but okay, until Kennedy and his cheap ass tricks ruined him and made him what we got as president.

Uhtceare

• +11/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »
Yeah. I can't think of a good one. In fact, looking at a list of presidents and...damn, we have not a good track record when I go, "The lecheous Hillbilly might crack the top ten." :)

And yeah, Jackson was racist, but he did do a lot of good too...compared to people ahead and behind him. I mean, wow.

Nixon was actually okay, weird, but okay, until Kennedy and his cheap ass tricks ruined him and made him what we got as president.

There was actually a pretty long stretch of time when the President was almost irrelevant. America was basically ruled by Congress from roughly just after the Civil War until WWI. After that the Executive branch gradually gained more power, becoming massively powerful once the era of the Military Industrial Complex kicked in. That's why do few Presidents from that chunk of history are remembered.