Herochat

How can America get fixed with the current primary system?

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »

States like Iowa and New Hampshire literally have more power over states like California, Texas, New York, etc etc. And I am not even against dividing the states up on different days, but so much time is in-between primary state voting that statistically it is usually decided by New Hampshire - South Carolina.

But why?

My job and what I do is I go to the bottom of a problem, analyze what it is and recommend a solution. One reason I stopped getting so politically involved (I have a political science degree for example) is that fundamental issues are rarely talked about. This is a problem BOTH parties have and in my opinion is a democratic issue. Most of the country is essentially not represented when deciding who will be the final nominees of the major parties to run our country.

If it wasn't for the primary setup we have today and places like Iowa didn't have so much influence randomly, we would never know of people like Rick Santorum (who would never win a major contest or even be close otherwise). The issues that impact those two states (Iowa and NH) wouldn't routinely become at the forefront of the elections.

What do you guys think? Should the primary system be changed or are things good to go?

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
Re: How can America get fixed with the current primary system?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »
Fuck, sorry guys.

I'm a bit too soberly-challenged at the moment and posted this in the wrong section.

Uhtceare

• +20/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
Ranked choice voting and independent commissions to prevent gerrymandering would fix the problem, or at least render it small enough to be trivial. Unfortunately, that will never happen because the guys with the power to make it happen where put into power by the current system.

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
Given America's fractured nature, you have to peck away at things. There is progress being made, albeit slowly.

https://psmag.com/news/how-did-citizen-led-redistricting-initiatives-fare-in-the-mid-terms

HOW DID CITIZEN-LED REDISTRICTING INITIATIVES FARE IN THE MID-TERMS?
The answer: very well.

MICHIGAN: PASSED
Michigan overwhelmingly supported a constitutional amendment that will create an independent citizen redistricting commission to redraw both the legislative and congressional districts.

COLORADO: PASSED
In Colorado, voters passed two measures, putting separate independent commissions in charge of state and congressional redistricting.

UTAH: EXPECTED TO PASS  ( It passed, though isn't as good as the others. )
By Tuesday night, 51 percent of tallied Utahn votes were in favor of citizen-led redistricting, the Salt Lake Tribune reports.

MISSOURI: PASSED
Missouri's Amendment 1 passed with "landslide approval,"

Pennsylvania has addressed this and it made a difference there. There are positive signs in Ohio and ( at the state level ) North Carolina too. Which are two of the worst in regards to gerrymandering.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2018/05/ohio_votes_to_reform_congressi_1.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio - While gerrymandering disputes from other states have landed in the U.S. Supreme Court, Ohio voters took the historic step Tuesday of passing a bipartisan proposal aimed at creating fairer and more logical congressional districts.

Issue 1 amends the Ohio Constitution by putting rules in place, where none exist now, aimed at creating districts that make geographic sense - rather than districts designed solely with political gain in mind.

How often - and to what extent - counties can be split will be severely limited. And a new 10-year map cannot be enacted without significant buy-in from both major political parties.

The unofficial vote tally showed Issue 1 with a 75 percent to 25 percent lead -- 1,165,409 votes for to 391,527 against. The official vote will be known within a few weeks.

The first map drawn under the new rules will be created after the 2020 census. This will mark the first time that the party in power will not have almost total control over the process.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article221551975.html

Lawsuit calls for new 2020 state House and Senate districts in North Carolina

RALEIGH
Common Cause and the North Carolina Democratic Party are suing for state House and Senate districts to be redrawn for the 2020 election, claiming the districts are partisan gerrymanders that violate the state constitution.

The lawsuit was filed Tuesday morning in Wake County Superior Court against state legislative leaders and the state elections board.

It will likely eventually be heard in the state Supreme Court. With the election of Anita Earls last week, Democrats will hold a 5-2 advantage on the state’s highest court.

“North Carolina’s state legislative maps are among the worst partisan gerrymanders in North Carolina’s history, and indeed, in American history,” said Stanton Jones, a lawyer with the Washington, D.C., law firm Arnold & Porter.

Another thing that should have been addressed long ago is the structure of the Democratic Presidential primaries. "Super Tuesday" featuring so many southern states hasn't made sense for them for decades. A deeply Republican region full of states that are not going to cast for any Dem in the general should not have a disproportionate influence on whom their candidate is.
Sig : Anna Nystrom

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »
To throw my hat in here, I'm in favor of ranked choice voting.