Herochat

The Boy Scouts Are now accepting girls

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
The Boy Scouts Are now accepting girls
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
Another sign of the apocalypse, or a step in the right direction?

I suspect the only reason they’re doing it is because they need the money and membership is down.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

altoon

• +5/-5
    • View Profile

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
Re: The Boy Scouts Are now accepting girls
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
cant they just merge the girl scouts with them

Women who were in the girl scouts say it boring as fucked. Basicly get pimped out for cookies. So sure they wouldnt mind. Are they two different groups or something?

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
Cool. Having been a boy scout briefly and knowing women who were girl scouts the GS really had no purpose outside of selling cookies. Some troops do learn survival skills but surprisingly not many.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »
cant they just merge the girl scouts with them

Women who were in the girl scouts say it boring as fucked. Basicly get pimped out for cookies. So sure they wouldnt mind. Are they two different groups or something?

The problem is they are not affiliated with each other.

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8312
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
Great!  Now all the future Weinstein's will be trying to eat all the brownies. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »
I did Cub Scouts as a kid for years, and at the tail end it’s similar to the Boy Scouts. This is going to change the Scouts and probably not for the better. I think kids benefit from have some (not all) social activities that are divided by gender. I’ve heard that Girl Scouts can be boring... so why not make it better instead? It’s not like Boy Scouts are the only way for kids (male or female) to learn outdoor skills.

Then again, I’m not sure there are too many girls who are going to take the Boy Scouts up on this offer.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:01:09 PM by MTL76 »

XerxesTWD

• +48/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
Girl Scouts can be just like Boy Scouts, but a lot of people feel you need a woman to be a scout leader. (This hasn't been a requirement since like 1980, I think)

If the parents don't push to get a troop leader with survival skills, and one isn't available in the first place, they wind up learning the bullshit skills and just selling a shitload of cookies.

Parks and Rec had a great episode specifically about this.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
That’s a good point, but I think it would be a lot more productive for Girl Scout troops to bring in instructors on an as-needed basis based on the demands and interests of the particular troop in question. These instructors don’t all have to be women, as you say. My Cub Scout troop had a lot of dads volunteering to show us stuff, and really, what they were doing was extremely basic. They could do the same with their daughters’ Girl Scout troops. Parent-child bonding is one of the points of it. This could be augmented by hiring an outside expert as needed for a day or two if the girls wanted to learn something the parents didn’t know.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »
I did Cub Scouts as a kid for years, and at the tail end it’s similar to the Boy Scouts. This is going to change the Scouts and probably not for the better. I think kids benefit from have some (not all) social activities that are divided by gender. I’ve heard that Girl Scouts can be boring... so why not make it better instead? It’s not like Boy Scouts are the only way for kids (male or female) to learn outdoor skills.

Then again, I’m not sure there are too many girls who are going to take the Boy Scouts up on this offer.

Girl Scouts was more like Boy scouts back in the day but parents complained it wasn't "girly" enough so it shifted leaving girls and parents who would rather scouting be focused on survival skills out in the cold.