Herochat

Blade Runner 2049

Uhtceare

• +11/-3
    • View Profile
Blade Runner 2049
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:34 AM »
I liked it. It's a beautiful film, extremely lush and moody. It's biggest weakness is the star. Gosling doesn't make me feel any empathy despite his extremely tragic existence.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
I liked it. It's a beautiful film, extremely lush and moody. It's biggest weakness is the star. Gosling doesn't make me feel any empathy despite his extremely tragic existence.

I agree with those points.

Blade Runner is one of my favorite sci-fi movies so I knew this movie would have big shoes to fill. I think it was beautifully shot (is that the cinematographer's job?) and I just loved looking at the movie, but the story was weak. It lacked the human connection that the first one had, the tragedy and the hope in the face of that tragedy, and the beautiful growth of all of the characters. Maybe they waited too long. I think a younger Harrison Ford and Edward James Olmos would have helped. A sequel wasn't really necessary.

Gosling had a few good moments, but overall I didn't buy him as an android who discovers he has a soul. The movie also didn't have a very compelling antagonist, the way that the first one had in Roy Batty. Luv was a generic henchwoman, Wallace (Leto) was over the top and didn't have much screen time and was a poor man's Tyrell, and the Replicant army seemed a bit silly with its messiah complex. The twist of Joe's (Gosling's) identity was good but even that didn't seem to resonate with him.

The brief roles by Olmos and Batista (!) were some of the standout moments.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

LiquidSailor

• +52/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »
What role did Harrison Ford have?

DIGUSTING

Bandido

• +6/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »
Regretful reprised actor

Uhtceare

• +11/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:02:20 AM »

Batista (!) were some of the standout moments.

I know! Who would have guessed that Batista would turn out to be a talented actor?? I felt more empathy for him just because of little well-acted expressions he makes than I ever do for Gosling.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:11:03 AM by Uhtceare »

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:29:09 AM »
The dialogue also wasn’t nearly as taut and gripping as the original. There were few stand-out verbal exchanges. I liked Olmos’s lines. “He liked to work alone, and so did I. We worked together to keep it that way.” That’s the crime noir element that was present in the original and lacking in the sequel, which is more straight-up sci-fi rather than a blending of genres.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
Agreed w/ above, the movies visual world building and mood is what stands out. It felt familiar like a place I know, maybe bc it's a sequel? Gosling was fine, not going to hate on him. He didn't do anything for me, but he played his usual thing and so I pretty much got what I was expecting from him. Also agreed on Batista doing a stand out job.

Questions (SPOILERS):
1)when Joe (Gosling) is looking through the genetic codes, what prompted him to go there looking? What was he originally after? Missed the reason for it, though it did lead to him finding the orphanage etc. but it seemed apropos of nothing, at least that original search.

2)how did he know where Decker (Ford) was? I mean he didn't know what he'd find but what sent him to that place (Vegas) in the first place? Missed that as well.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 03:51:22 PM »
He had the wooden horse analyzed by that guy who played the pirate in Captain Phillips. The pirate found high levels of radiation on the horse, the type of which was only found around Las Vegas (presumably LV had been nuked or suffered some radiation-based calamity.) Then he just used his cars probe to look for human life.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »
Oh yeah, "Dr Badger" thanks

What of the gene place? Any clues there?

Mightily Oats

• +72/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:43:04 AM »
I haven’t seen this, but I have seen the original a few times, and mostly it’s the amazing art direction that sets it apart.

Mostly

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
Oh yeah, "Dr Badger" thanks

What of the gene place? Any clues there?

From memory he was just looking at children recorded as being born on that day, possibly in that region who may have had genetic abnormalities.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
I haven’t seen this, but I have seen the original a few times, and mostly it’s the amazing art direction that sets it apart.

Mostly

The first had a very grounded story. In the grand scheme of things, it was just another Blade Runner job. It wasn’t a story where the future of the world was at stake. The Replicants would have died off anyway. It was the personal elements that made it special - the relationships between Deckard and Rachel, Deckard and Roy, Roy and Tyrell.

The sequel tries to be more important. Deckard’s kid is a messiah of some sort, with a miracle birth? The revolutionary army? It goes away from the first one’s noir roots, where any victory is small, Personal, and meaningless in regards to the big picture.

superlurker

• +11/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »
I thought it was good to very good. The visuals were awesome. That I can recall, the story didn't have any gaping holes in it. It deals with some interesting questions with contemporary relevance, both philosophically and politically, and does so in a way that's not awful.

Gosling's flatness fits the character, but I'll agree he wasn't quite able to generate audience empathy for his existence very well. Bautista did that better, and his character works better still after having seen the mini-prequel which shows how they got the lead to track him down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYH9aGEEGg

Out of the movies I've been to see this year, it is a pretty clear standout in terms of overall quality.

The sequel tries to be more important. Deckard’s kid is a messiah of some sort, with a miracle birth? The revolutionary army? It goes away from the first one’s noir roots, where any victory is small, Personal, and meaningless in regards to the big picture.

Just looking at K's story, it's definitely very personal and small-scale. His big accomplishments are becoming his own man and saving a guy and to bring him to meet his daughter. It doesn't really change the world, and though it's implied that big things may be afoot from either the replicant underground or Wallace's actions, K is pretty irrelevant to those things in the end. A large part of his story was the reveal that he wasn't really anything special -- just an ordinary replicant guy. Conversely, in the original movie, Batty killed Tyrell, which was a much bigger deal in terms of its effect on the world.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
I like that preview, never saw it before. It makes me wish he had a bigger role in the main movie.

superlurker

• +11/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »
There are two more, one that deals with Wallace a bit more, and another is an animated thing that shows the 'Blackout' event. But the one with Bautista is definitely the standout.