• +21/-6
    • View Profile
Should we still celebrate Columbus Day?
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
Well?

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Should we still celebrate Columbus Day?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
IMHO Columbus basically failed his way into history and really shouldn't be celebrated but people like having an extra day off so rename Native People day.

XerxesTWD

• +48/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »
Just call it "Discovery Day" to celebrate anybody and everybody who made their way to this continent.

herochat

• +101/-77
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »
Get your white ass off my lawn, interloper
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

AP

• +46/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »
IMHO Columbus basically failed his way into history and really shouldn't be celebrated but people like having an extra day off so rename Native People day.

Pretty much.

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:32 PM »
also lot of people I might slide by historic standards. Where I would say yea they were racist..but most were, it was the time

But even for the time columbus was kind of a piece of shit

That said dont get mad at the holiday, or protest, or make getting mad at it priority.

Uhtceare

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:39:17 PM »
also lot of people I might slide by historic standards. Where I would say yea they were racist..but most were, it was the time

But even for the time columbus was kind of a piece of shit
This^

Really, you just have to read Bartolomé de las Casas' quotes to know Columbus was a monster, even by the standards of the time.

http://www.abolishcolumbusday.com/bartolome-de-las-casas.html

"Such in humanities and Barbarisms were committed in my sight as no age can parallel. My eyes have seen these acts so foreign to human nature that I now tremble as I write."

"The Spaniards forced their way into Native settlements, slaughtering everyone they found there, including small children, old men, pregnant women, and even women who had just given birth. They hacked them to pieces, slicing open their bellies with their swords as though they were so many sheep herded into a pen. They even laid wagers on whether they could manage to slice a man in two at a stroke, or cut an individual?s head from his body, or disembowel him with a single blow of their axes. They grabbed suckling infants by the feet and, ripping them from their mothers breasts, dashed them headlong against the rocks."

"All those who could do so took to the hills and mountains in order to escape the clutches of these merciless and inhuman butchers, these mortal enemies of human kind trained hunting dogs to track them down. Wild dogs who would savage a Native to death as soon as look at him, tearing him to shreds and devouring his flesh as though we were a pig."

"They spared no one, erecting especially wide gibbets on which they could string their victims up with their feet just off the ground and then burn them alive. "

"Yet another member of the governor?s party galloped about cutting the legs off all the children as they law sprawling on the ground."

"During the three or four months I was there, more than seven thousand children died of hunger, after their parents had been shipped off to the mines."

Heck, if you don't believe Casas, just look at Columbus own records.

https://www.sott.net/article/287241-Five-scary-Christopher-Columbus-quotes-that-let-you-celebrate-the-holiday-the-right-way

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/01/real-christopher-columbus/

"A hundred castellanos are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand."

"While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked - as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure with her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. But - to cut a long story short - I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. Eventually we came to such terms, I assure you, that you would have thought that she had been brought up in a school for whores. "

Columbus was so unremittingly vile that you couldn't make up a character like him in fiction. The villain would be dismissed as too cartoonish to be believable.

herochat

• +101/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:44:24 AM »
That said dont get mad at the holiday, or protest, or make getting mad at it priority.

Of course you don't.  It's not a "black issue".

Concede and admit your hypocrisy, demon!

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 01:50:18 AM »

First dont call me Demon. Where in the debate forum. That shit don't fly. Where talking about that in the moderators forum as we speak.

Given that my Grandmother was native American...kind of of is

I dont get that worked up the same way I dont get worked up by slave owners having their own Holidays and being put on our money. Its a day off. Or can read HP lovercraf without being put into a black rage..who again even by standard of his time is racist as fucked.  Dont mean I cant enjoy Chatulla Dice or enjoy Arkham horror.  Just as long as we acknowledge thier peice of shitness

should change the name of Holiday though. I mean it was never a good reason to have it now that we know he didnt discover shit. But not the top priority.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »
I don’t see any reason to repeal the holiday.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Uhtceare

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
WTF! How is this even a debate? Columbus was staggeringly evil. Just holy shit evil. God-duh-amn evil. That was one mustache-twirly, BWAHAHAing satanic cumstain straight from hell.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
I don’t see any reason to repeal the holiday.

Him murdering practically all of the Taino Indians because he's too dumb to realize he wasn't in India is as good of a reason as any.

herochat

• +101/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »

First dont call me Demon. Where in the debate forum. That shit don't fly. Where talking about that in the moderators forum as we speak.

Given that my Grandmother was native American...kind of of is

I dont get that worked up the same way I dont get worked up by slave owners having their own Holidays and being put on our money. Its a day off. Or can read HP lovercraf without being put into a black rage..who again even by standard of his time is racist as fucked.  Dont mean I cant enjoy Chatulla Dice or enjoy Arkham horror.  Just as long as we acknowledge thier peice of shitness

should change the name of Holiday though. I mean it was never a good reason to have it now that we know he didnt discover shit. But not the top priority.

Repent, demon!