Herochat

Punisher pulled from Comic Con

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Punisher pulled from Comic Con
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
Not really. Just because they pulled it that doesn't mean they think its inappropriate. Just bad timing. Like I said its not like they cancelled the show. You can find a rape joke funny. You can also find telling the same rape joke to a person who a week before was raped being in bad taste. You can also decide to put a moratorium on telling the rape joke all together out of respect for your friend until some time has passed to let them process what happened to them. Doing all three of those things is neither weird or hypocritical. People are complex like that.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
I can understand that in the context of what you're saying - telling a rape joke to someone just got raped (or ever!) - since it's very personal, unplanned and related. But this is a much less personal coming from a television media company, and has been planned for over a year, and really has nothing to do with the Las Vegas shooting beyond guns being used.

I'm not terribly worked up by this, and can understand your point, but don't agree with it in this context.

And now that I think about it, Netflix was probably smart to do it because while me thinking it was a silly thing to do does not hurt them, bad press from some people who might overreact to it would hurt them. So clearly, I'm not fit to run a mass media company.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
It is definitely less personal but I don't know if its directly unrelated. Depending on what footage they were gonna release it could have been pretty similar. Just in his appearance on DD he mowed down a room full of bikers using automatic weaponry and went on a rampage in a hospital. In the trailer they did release they show his wife being killed, him mowing down a room full of mercs, and him doing some long range snipering. Imagine if you're one of the 500 wounded in the hospital, you turn on the TV to get your mind off of it. You stop om Marvel's Inhumans because you just saw a giant teleporting dog then it cuts to a commercial of Punisher clearing a room with Metallica's One playing. Even if you aren't offended that they played on tv its still gonna trigger some PTSD.

And no Marvel, Netflix, or ABC Studios is obligated to protect anyone from that but its nice that they decided to. I was actually really looking forward to the panel while I was there but since I've personally never been shot at I'm OK I didn't get to see it.

Riv1

• +22/-868
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 12:14:55 AM »
You make good/great points NGL.
I would have voted opposite my origanal position once you'd given me a talking to.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 07:39:43 AM »
Aren’t those same shooting victims just as likely to be upset by accidentally stumbling across the show itself, or a commercial for the show?

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
It's hard to stumble across the show. No one has ever accidentally watch a random episode of a streaming service original series.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 11:44:50 AM »
Well, Hulu sure as fuck keeps trying to make me accidentally watch other shit.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
It's hard to stumble across the show. No one has ever accidentally watch a random episode of a streaming service original series.

But it’s easy for someone to see a trailer released at a convention while they’re still in a hospital bed or rehab facility? You’d have to be deliberately searching for it.

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »
I'm not saying it's easy but marvel studios does run commercials and trailers for their Netflix shows during other superhero shows. Even during the DC CW shows.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
I'm not saying it's easy but marvel studios does run commercials and trailers for their Netflix shows during other superhero shows. Even during the DC CW shows.

Yeah but I’m talking specifically about them pulling the trailer from Comic Con.

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
Again that's just them trying to show some empathy. It might be as useful as thoughts and prayers but it doesn't necessarily mean it's insincere.

Rufio

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »
The analogy of telling a rape joke to someone who was recently raped is a bit off. A more apt analogy would be if Louis CK suddenly decided to remove rape jokes from his act for a month when the Bill Cosby story went public. Or if George Carlin had suddenly announced he was putting terrorism jokes on hold due to 9/11.

I guess it's fine, albeit slightly irritating, in small doses.