Herochat

Can't Marvel create a series that doesn't involve Mutants or be original?

shadowknight

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Marvel will now create a new series staring Rogue, another staring Gambit, another starring Legion. I can understand Legion b/c of the TV show, but Rogue & Gambit has already been tried and they couldn't carry a book, so why try again. In the last 12 yrs outside of the Beast & Prof X almost every powerful X-men has has a mini-series or a series. Marvel is prinst roughly  70 books a month with over 30 having a mutant being the star or part of the team when do you say enough?

-K-M-

• +7/-4
    • View Profile
And also give series to a character that shouldn't even exist

http://www.cbr.com/weapon-h-series-confirmed/

Like why???

shadowknight

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
And also give series to a character that shouldn't even exist

http://www.cbr.com/weapon-h-series-confirmed/

Like why???
To make money. The problem is Marvel fails to realise that you're milking the cow to death. Wolverine is a good concept, Hulk is a great concept but playing mix match with both is a recipe for disaster. Hercules, WM & Punisher was around for yrs before they recieved a series, you just can't create a charater and in less than 6 mts later give them series.

Riv1

• +19/-858
    • View Profile
Fucking Marvel.
A treasure trove of characters to work with...::)

And yes i get its about money, but damn.
Try something different. It might not last, but i think real fans would appreciate the effort.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

80sBaby

• +21/-6
    • View Profile
They have tried something new. A lot. And it didn't sell.

Hell, a year or so ago, people were complaining that Marvel hated the X-Men because they cut back on a couple of titles and now that they're using them more, people still complain.

Riv1

• +19/-858
    • View Profile

Hell, a year or so ago, people were complaining that Marvel hated the X-Men because they cut back on a couple of titles and now that they're using them more, people still complain.
I wasnt complaining about that.

As to what they've tried thats new, list the books.
Not calling you out, looking for new stuff to read i've missed that isnt mutant, mired in convoluted plot lines, or who's first 12 months of publication isnt co-opted by 2-3 unnecessary crossover inclusions.
Gimme!

80sBaby

• +21/-6
    • View Profile
Foolkiller
Solo
Slapstick
Mosaic
Moongirl & Devil Dinosaur
Vision
Starbrand & Nightmask

Keep in mind, only 2 are still being published to my knowledge.

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
"Why can't all 65 titles be ones I like? Why can't they all be Batman?"

What matters is that you have great creators. Have Kiereon Gillein write one of those titles and we'll all cream ourselves.

shadowknight

• +3/-0
    • View Profile

What you failed to mention was a lot of those titles were miniority of the month titles. Plus a lot of the titles that failed didn't have compeling stories or characters

1. A korean Hulk
2. A lesbian superhero Miss America
3. In your face feminist Mockingbird
4. A Black Cap America
5. A hispanic Falcon
6. A hispanic Ghost Rider
7. A Black Lesbian couple in Black Panther offshoot comics
8. A female Thor
9. A Black Female Iron Man

There's more but i only concentrated on the ones who star in a solo book or co-stars in such a book. Plus  there's turning formely straight superheroes gay (DC does this too, but the charater is part of a team). Don't get me wrong I'm all for diversity, what I'm against is demonizing, deconstructing, humiliating or killing a character just to create a minority version of the said character. Now please name which of these brilliant ideas have comics selling in the high 30k range answser none.

If you think I'm being disingenuous here's a former Vice President of sales who was fired for being honest had to say.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/03/marvel-executive-says-emphasis-on-diversity-may-have-alienated-readers

80sBaby

• +21/-6
    • View Profile
Those aren't at all the books I was talking about lol plus most you mentioned haven't "failed" as they're still making them. Nobody mentioned diversity but you. Why, I have no idea since that wasn't the discussion at hand.

My point is that Marvel does differemt and it doesn't sell, regardless of quality (Vision.) So they go with what works, like X_books. They're a business first.

Riv1

• +19/-858
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Marvel create a series that doesn't involve Mutants or be original?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
^^^yeah i wasnt talking, dont care anout diversity.
Actually a lot of those fall under the 'mired in convoluted plot lines/first 12 issues co-opted by unnecessary crossovers' crap i like to avoid.

"Why can't all 65 titles be ones I like? Why can't they all be Batman?"

What matters is that you have great creators. Have Kiereon Gillein write one of those titles and we'll all cream ourselves.
I wouldnt, but i know many would.
If the books are set in a universe i find meh, which i mostly find the big two to be (Marvel espcially) then i'm still not gonna enjoy those books.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:12:27 PM by Riv1 »