Herochat

Trump: Puerto Rican evacuees will be forced to repay evacuation costs(DISPROVEN)

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/352824-trump-administration-forcing-puerto-rico-evacuees-to-pay-for

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/evacuated-citizens.html

This was disproven. I wouldn't be surprised if it went through since he undeniably hates the existence of Puerto Rico, but it has been disproven.

Trump administration forcing Puerto Rico evacuees to pay for airfare: report

The Trump administration is reportedly forcing evacuees from Puerto Rico and Dominica to sign promissory notes ensuring full repayment for transportation costs and is keeping evacuees' passports as collateral.

MarketWatch reported on Thursday that the administration is using a longstanding but discretionary policy to ensure that evacuees pay transportation costs, which are based on “the price of the last commercial one-way, full-fare (not discounted) economy ticket prior to the crisis.”

A spokesman for the State Department confirmed that the agency is overseeing Dominica's evacuation, while the Defense Department oversees Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory. According to the website, this policy applies to all evacuees who boarded U.S. government aircraft or other vehicles to evacuate. In some cases, promissory notes were waived due to immediate emergency situations, according to a spokesman.

Evacuees' passports will receive restrictions until payment is received, according to the news outlet, which cited the State Department's website.

“Upon evacuation, a Department of State official must limit an evacuee’s passport. In order to obtain a new passport, an evacuee must arrange payment as agreed upon via the promissory note," the website reads.
When those repayments can be made is a different story.

According to the State Department's website, the loans are managed "by the Comptroller and Global Financial Services office in Charleston, South Carolina," but cannot currently be repaid.

"Currently, loan repayments cannot be completed due to ongoing emergencies in the region. We will update travel.state.gov/evacuate as soon as repayments can be made," the State Department says.

The news comes as the Trump administration faces criticism for the pace of relief efforts in Puerto Rico. Most of the U.S. territory's 3.4 million inhabitants are without drinking water, and electricity could be down on the island for up to 6 months.

On Tuesday, Trump vowed that his administration would receive high marks for Hurricane Maria relief efforts.

“We’ve gotten A-pluses on Texas and in Florida, and we will also on Puerto Rico,” Trump said Tuesday. “But the difference is this is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean. And we’re doing a really good job.”

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:37:43 PM by XerxesTWD »

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Trump: Puerto Rican evacuees will be forced to repay evacuation costs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »
Pay back within 60 days or interest begins accruing.

1. I clearly understand that I am accepting evacuation of my own free will and at my own risk to a location chosen by the U.S. Government. The mode of transportation may be via charter or military transport. I also understand that the evacuation flight may not comply with normal international safety or luggage/cargo regulations/standards. In the case of military aircraft travel, the U.S. Government acts only as an agent and not as a contract carrier.

2. U.S. Citizens: I promise to repay the U.S. Government in U.S. dollars or the foreign currency equivalent, within 30 days of initial billing, and if not repaid within 60 days of initial billing at an interest rate established in accordance with Federal law, for all applicable expenses for my/our evacuation. This evacuation loan is in addition to any other U.S. Government loans received for other purposes. I will keep the Department of State's Accounts Receivable Branch informed of my address(es) until I repay my loan in full. If I am unable to pay this loan in full, the Department of State may, at its discretion and upon my request, forward to me an installment agreement containing an installment plan for repayment of my loan.

3. I understand that:
(a) I will be billed for the cost of my/our transportation no greater than the amount of a full-fare economy flight, or comparable alternate transportation, to the designated destination(s) that would have been charged immediately prior to the events giving rise to the evacuation. (b) My obligation to repay my loan will not be considered paid in full until it clears through the account of the Treasurer of the United States. (c) Until I have paid my loan in full, I and all listed U.S. citizen family members will only be eligible for a limited validity U.S. passport. (d) If my loan is in default, I and all listed U.S. citizen family members will not be eligible for a limited validity U.S. passports. (e) My loan will be subject to interest, penalties, and other charges for late payment as directed by law and regulation. (f) I will be liable to pay any costs for collection.

4. I will include my name, date of birth, place of birth, and Social Security number with all correspondence, payments, and questions. I will make payment to the Department of State, Accounts Receivable by credit/debit card, check or money order payable to Accounts Receivable Branch, PO Box 979005, St. Louis, MO 63197-9000. (Send questions by mail to: Accounts Receivable Branch, Comptroller and Global Financial Services, Department of State, PO Box 150008, Charleston, SC 29415-5008. Send questions by courier (DHL, Fedex, UPS, etc.) to: Accounts Receivable Branch, Comptroller and Global Financial Services 1969 Dyess Ave., Building 646-B, North Charleston, SC 29405. To make inquiries by telephone: From the U.S. or Canada, call: 1-800-521-2116 or internationally, call 843-746-0592. To make inquiries by email, contact: FMPARD@state.gov.)

5. Non U.S. Citizens: I understand that my government and the United States will determine the amount I owe and means of repayment. My government may seek reimbursement from me for the cost of my/our evacuation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:04:49 PM by XerxesTWD »

NeoGreenLantern

• +66/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
So, let me make sure I understand this. If someone gets a ticket out from relief services they have to pay back the full non-discounted amount, not the probably discounted amount the services will purchase them at, or they will have their passports held and will start getting interest put on them after 60 days?

For a guy who says he doesn't hate brown people he does a lot of things that make him seem like he hates brown people.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »
For a guy who bragged about getting bailed out after his own personal mistakes for the entirety of his "career" I wish I could say this hypocritical response of his was surprising. He's part of the "I got mine!" mentality that has ruined a lot of people's lives.

Dlbiininja

• +16/-8314
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
 :o :o :o

He just figured out it was surrounded by a very big ocean.  With lots and lots of water.  Holy shit Trump is a fucking idiot.  And I mean shit him and his father did have the discrimination suit against them.  You can hide that racism when it suits you as I'm sure he has.  He's done it to run his businesses obviously.  And I'm wondering will he have fema charging Texas and florida's victims?
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »
always thought on states that voted against him or probally wont vote for him he would be a vidicitve prick to

He probally figure he wont get Puetro Rico votes anyway...so fuck em

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »
He doesn't even camouflage his evil. I'm sure FEMA made it to his Florida golf courses right in the nick of time. I'd wish death upon him but that would make him a martyr and inspire an entire generation of Trumpists who don't understand that he has no ideology besides nepotism, narcissism, and racism

Propeus The Fallen

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/353216-trump-criticizes-san-juan-mayors-poor-leadership-during-puerto-rico

Okay, can we all just agree to vote for the Dem nominee? I mean, I don't know who it is...but they have to be better than this. Just having a soul is enough at this point.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
He's trying to get several golf games in during a major catastrophe on American soil and this "foreign brown woman" is demanding he do his job better. Must be talking to the Democrats!

80sBaby

• +23/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
Yeah, he's a great uniter.

Rufio

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
I hate to be the one to exonerate the orange boy-king on this particular charge, but no one else has gotten around to it.

The Hill article has been updated. The evacuees are not required to pay back the notes.

From what I can gather, there is a general policy requiring reimbursement when US citizens are evacuated from non-US territories. This caused some confusion in media reports. The policy actually does not apply to Puerto Rico because it isn't a US territory.

This Snopes article explains:

http://www.snopes.com/is-the-trump-administration-puerto-rico-evacuees/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:14:47 PM by Rufio »

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
The sartorial choices of the mayor of San Juan aren't really filling me with confidence in her ability to manage a crisis:

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Propeus The Fallen

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »
I hate to be the one to exonerate the orange boy-king on this particular charge, but no one else has gotten around to it.

The Hill article has been updated. The evacuees are not required to pay back the notes.

From what I can gather, there is a general policy requiring reimbursement when US citizens are evacuated from non-US territories. This caused some confusion in media reports. The policy actually does not apply to Puerto Rico because it isn't a US territory.

This Snopes article explains:

http://www.snopes.com/is-the-trump-administration-puerto-rico-evacuees/

Why? I mean, he's just going to say or do something else hateful and stupid to...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/03/trump-puerto-rico-hurricane-visit-243382

Yeah. That.

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 02:17:05 AM »
in more fairness then he deserves

I think he was just trying to make a Joke. like a "hahhaha wouldnt be crazy if I actullly said this"

But the Joke Bomb...HARD. And maybe it not a good place to Joke around.  Namely with all the other comment he made during this crisis. He just not good at this shit

and you compare the somber comments with Texas...to this..it just makes it look worst.

it appears he just not good at this part of the Job. Showing emphay to people who had fights with in the past, or didnt vote for him...who might very well never vote for him. He doesnt know how to show compassion or fake it to those people

He also shows an incappability to not make it about himself

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile