Herochat

Mother!

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Mother!
« on: September 23, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
Not the kind of movie I expect to be widely viewed here. MTL will probably see it.

Felt like I was driven closer to the brink of madness watching this movie than any other. Previously that record was held by Funny Games with Mulholland Drive in a close second. This one pushed it way further. Not in a good way. Oh well. Maybe I'm a Philistine, but did not feel this thing.

Riv1

• +19/-858
    • View Profile
Re: Mother!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
Wasnt interested in this at ALL.
The trailers did nothing for me, and the Bardem/Lawrence pairing looks totally chemistry-less.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
After watching it and not seeing a trailer I can't imagine how one would even attempt to a cut a trailer for this thing that would at all represent the experience of watching it. I can't say that they had good chemistry but I also don't think they were neccisarily supposed to.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
Sounds right up my alley

AP

• +46/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
I've always liked Aronofosky.

Uhtceare

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:14:49 PM »
I liked it, mainly because of Jennifer Lawrence's performance. She is surprisingly sympathetic for the anthropomorphic personification of a concept. 

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »
I think the situation of being shit on made her sympathetic (not literally shit on, but that might have been kinder), not neccisarily anything she did.

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »
I liked it, mainly because of Jennifer Lawrence's performance. She is surprisingly sympathetic for the anthropomorphic personification of a concept. 

I think this is a better description of her in this role, personally

It’s hard to think of a blanker performance than Lawrence’s, which I mean as no slight to her. As the unnamed young wife of an unnamed older poet, played by Javier Bardem, she has neither guile nor personality. Shot in claustrophobic closeup, she is pure youthful face and body: getting out of bed in a sheer nightie; washing dishes in flattering boyfriend jeans; inexplicably wandering barefoot into an unfinished cellar that screams “tetanus!” to search for the linens that she inexplicably keeps there in a steampunk trunk. Then there are her hair styles, messily perfect in a way that indicates a Type A trying to pass for low-key. I admired the character’s ability to braid her ass-length golden tresses into a perfect fishtail while dealing with a full-on home invasion, but some people have a talent for multitasking.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/darren-aronofskys-mother-has-a-muse-problem

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
Not the kind of movie I expect to be widely viewed here. MTL will probably see it.

I've been very out of the loop. The ads I saw for it made it seem like an Omen or Rosemary's baby type of movie and I never thought to look into it until seeing this thread.

I will probably catch it on DVD.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium