Who are all of Wolverine's mentors?

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Re: Who are all of Wolverine's mentors?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:48 AM »
Ogun

Was trying to think of his name. This is a big one. Up there w/ Xavier.

Didn't he learn Kung Fu from someone(s) in San Fransico's Chinatown?

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
Storm, definitely.
Cap.
Cyclops, in a way.
Kitty.

See these more as people Wolverine has mentored more than have mentored him. Kitty for example is his number one mentee in my mind. Cap was a rookie when he first met Wolverine. Storm, Cyclops, and Wolverine always struck me more as peers, despite the former two playing leader more often than not.

Whiskeyclone

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »
Ogun and Xavier probably are the Top 2. Good call on Hudson though, too. Funny thing is he's definitely older than Hudson, and I'm pretty damn sure Xavier, too, especially since X doesn't have a healing factor that can justify keeping his birth around the turn of the last century.

AP

• +46/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 01:12:18 AM »
Logan would have to have mentors that are younger than him.  Obviously, he's not the oldest hero around, but he's older than most.  There are few heroes who are older than him that would make sense as his mentor.  Hercules and Thor?  They spend most of their time off-world or fighting villains that are out of his league.  The same goes for the Eternals.  The Ancient One, maybe?  Logan isn't the magic type.  Maybe a few members of the Destine family, but they're pretty obscure.  The Immortal Weapons would have been cool as mentors, though.  Is Puck older than Wolverine?  They're friends and don't have the mentor/student relationship, but I'm curious.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:15:16 AM by Toilet Bunny »

herochat

• +101/-77
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 01:32:44 AM »
Storm, definitely.
Cap.
Cyclops, in a way.
Kitty.

See these more as people Wolverine has mentored more than have mentored him. Kitty for example is his number one mentee in my mind. Cap was a rookie when he first met Wolverine. Storm, Cyclops, and Wolverine always struck me more as peers, despite the former two playing leader more often than not.

mentor
[men-tawr, -ter]
noun
a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

-K-M-

• +7/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
Logan would have to have mentors that are younger than him.  Obviously, he's not the oldest hero around, but he's older than most.  There are few heroes who are older than him that would make sense as his mentor.  Hercules and Thor?  They spend most of their time off-world or fighting villains that are out of his league.  The same goes for the Eternals.  The Ancient One, maybe?  Logan isn't the magic type.  Maybe a few members of the Destine family, but they're pretty obscure.  The Immortal Weapons would have been cool as mentors, though.  Is Puck older than Wolverine?  They're friends and don't have the mentor/student relationship, but I'm curious.

Wolverine is older

Puck was born in 1914, wolverine late 1880s. Their good buddies and have shared same experiences but neither are each other's mentors.  Except when wolverine helped puck get help for his acholism

Whiskeyclone

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 11:45:23 PM »
Storm, definitely.
Cap.
Cyclops, in a way.
Kitty.

mentor
[men-tawr, -ter]
noun
a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.

Nah, I wouldn't count any of them as true mentors, though I guess Cyclops has had a few moments where he dished out tough love, like during Proteus.

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 12:40:10 AM »
I think this White Lotus looking sumvabich was Wolverine's Kung-Fu master/teacher, right?

It's from the Jason Aaron run.

So, that makes

The Hudsons (maybe)
Master Po (maybe)
Professor X (definitely)
Ogun (definitely)

Would think there'd be more. Were either Ogun or Master Po supposedly before Weapon X? Does he have any mentors from before that time?

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 12:51:13 AM »
Ok, Master Po confirmed:

-K-M-

• +7/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 06:12:49 AM »
Why would the Hudson's be maybe?

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
They seem more like family who took him in when he had no one. Showed him love and humanity when all he'd experienced in Weapon X was brutal programing, that said, I don't think the act of taking some one in and treating them well makes you a mentor. I think peers can do that too. That said, I'm not saying they're not mentors to him. Mentoring usually implies teaching something, so in a sense by giving love to him they were maybe teaching love and there's the mentor angle? But not everyone who gives you love, even unconditional love, is a mentor, and so there's the angle against? But then the teaching him how to be human again is another point for, so I think I'm leaning yes on the Hudsons, it's just a little more nebulous than the others who played clear teacher/mentor roles as Stick was to DD, as The Thunderer was to IF, etc.

-K-M-

• +7/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
Remember when they just found him he just escaped weapon x and was a blood thirsty savage. They trained and helped him regain his humanity. Provided resources to train him to become a better solider (department h), provided his costume and was his moral compass. Wasn't just "love" they gave him. Without the hudsons there wouldn't even be a wolverine. They sent him on missions, provided intel, trained him to become a leader (first flight team) and gave him a purpose. That's a mentor
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:00:01 AM by -K-M- »

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 07:56:40 AM »
Alright, I'm on board. I don't think they have the same flavor as the others, but I can still see what you're saying.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 08:01:23 AM »
I think the purpose and humanity bits probably solidify them as mentors, but in a different way, so I can see what scourge is saying as well

-K-M-

• +7/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
Oh for sure but they didn't just help him regain his humanity...they made him into a super solider and a leader