Herochat

Who is the best merc in the Marvel Universe?

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the best merc in the Marvel Universe?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:24 AM »
If any of the mercs have a successful w/l rate with say Daredevil, they're at the top. Cause lord knows Taskmaster and Bullseye don't. And I don't think Elektra does either for what it's worth. Deadpool does however, though he needed bullshit and tricks, but a win is a win.

Sable is more of a Soldier of Fortune, no? Basically a merc with a more fully developed conscious?

Riv1

• +22/-868
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 08:03:16 AM »
DDs an interesting measuring stick.
I like that, takes some of the guesswork out.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Animalia

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
Well, I know "the best"is very subjective so I left it that way,a bit vague.
I'm trying to figure out what make someone as Deathstroke the best merc in DCU and who can compare to him MU.

NeoGreenLantern

• +66/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »
Then you're not just a salty bitch; you're an idiot
Nah.
I want a merc who's selective in taking jobs, one who's going to vet me even as i'm looking to hire him.
If you want the merc equivalent of a slut, who's going for anything that gets offered, thats fine.
Thing about sluts is, you cant trust them.
In a merc situation that translates to probably getting double crossed because someone offers more cash.

Well we are just having a miscommunication then. I didn't mean willing to take jobs from anyone. I meant willing/capable of taking any type of job. For example TM would probably be willing to take a job assassinating a child if you offer him enough money. DP probably would not. At least not anymore. TM is also the go to guy for training others. Again that's not something you go to DP for.

Riv1

• +22/-868
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »
^^^no sweat.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
Are we sure we're using the "merc" term correctly?

Like, the characters mentioned in this thread aren't soldiers or anything of the like.

I suppose there's the other definition where it's used as an adjective or some shit. I'm assuming that's what we're on instead of using the actual term.

Sounds like a lot of people are describing hitmen and assassins instead of actual soldiers paid to fight in wars.

Even with someone like Deathstroke, he used to serve in the military but is now a hired assassin and not really a soldier fighting wars and shit.

NeoGreenLantern

• +66/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »
We are using the comic definition of Mercenary which is basically just hired gun. I mean. DP is known as the Merc with a mouth but I can think of one example of him fighting in an actual war and it was pretty recent.

Red Exodus

• +7/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:05 PM »
Clearly, that Spider-Man villain Warrant is the best Merc.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
Mercenaries are hired guns AKA soldiers of fortune. The most important aspect of a mercenary is they can be bought. Political and personal agendas usually mean nothing to them, so they're risky to hire. You can use them for everything from rescues to bodyguards to enforcement to assassinations.

It most likely comes down to one of these 5:

Silver Sable
Taskmaster
Deadpool
Bullseye
Batroc

They all have very high success rates and command top dollar for their services.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »
Taskmaster will NOT take any job. He's been shown to balance risk vs. reward and act accordingly. That makes him smart, and probably makes him a better merc.

Deadpool is the best, though. He's beaten most of the people mentioned, and as noted, his overexposure and toon-like aura gets him the win.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium