Herochat

Rick and Morty

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
Re: Rick and Morty
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
Yeah seeing the family get back together was kinda anti-climatic.

Still the same issues but bottled up in denial even more.

Right and even that could've been handled well as a callback to the therapist episode to show that these people are broken and in denial.  Instead, it's presented as a happy ending when it's anything but.

That's the thing though there's no fine balance between zanny whacky action/ribald humour to serious real life family/mental issues.

One minute it's hilarious watching Rick & the president trying to get a one-up on each other...the next is realising no one in real life actually has a perfect functioning family unit.

It's like Pickle Rick is for the kids but the therapy side is a big Fuck YOU to every family that's either tried or just plain given up.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »
Am I the only person who found this show really underwhelming?

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

SmeaGog

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »

I'm still not sure I even like the first season. I circled back to it after skipping to the second expecting to appreciate it more, but mostly it still felt very hit-and-miss. These days it's easily one of my favourite things on television, but I really doubt I'd have given it as many chances as I did if I didn't love Dan Harmon elsewhere.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »

Right and even that could've been handled well as a callback to the therapist episode to show that these people are broken and in denial.  Instead, it's presented as a happy ending when it's anything but.

That's the thing though there's no fine balance between zanny whacky action/ribald humour to serious real life family/mental issues.

One minute it's hilarious watching Rick & the president trying to get a one-up on each other...the next is realising no one in real life actually has a perfect functioning family unit.

It's like Pickle Rick is for the kids but the therapy side is a big Fuck YOU to every family that's either tried or just plain given up.

The therapy part is what brought Pickle Rick to the level of probably best episode of the season. I def enjoyed them getting a little self reflective.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »

I don't know what this show would be like if I hadn't started watching from the first episode, but as it is, it certainly gets a shit ton of hype. Could imagine it might be overblown at this point. I think it's a great show, inheriting the mantle of adult animated comedy of the moment. If it keeps going too long it'll undoubtedly follow in the footsteps of other shows that walked this path (Simpsons, South Park), aka just be there in the background w/o the devoted following. As of now I think it deserves some love, though it is an odd show flavor to be this phenomenal hit. Think at it's best it's smart and funny which both of those shows were. If you're expecting the GOAT I could see it being underwhelming. still think it's a great show though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:53:23 AM by scourge »

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »

It would actully be more climatic if Jerry grew a pair and told beth to fuck off

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

The therapy part is what brought Pickle Rick to the level of probably best episode of the season. I def enjoyed them getting a little self reflective.

Most episodes were centred on various family members being self reflective with each other.

The therapy session just felt like an outsider's (the therapist) perspective & didn't shed anything new.

I like the zany adventures & quirky sexual innuendo but the most irritating aspect is Rick's burping & Morty's stuttering...their conversations get annoying to listen to at times.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 04:49:48 PM »
Finding out about the fanbase has really cooled me on this show, but I do still really like it

AP

• +57/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »

I'm still not sure I even like the first season. I circled back to it after skipping to the second expecting to appreciate it more, but mostly it still felt very hit-and-miss. These days it's easily one of my favourite things on television, but I really doubt I'd have given it as many chances as I did if I didn't love Dan Harmon elsewhere.

I watched season one and two on netflix a while back because I knew a lot of people who loved the show.  Season two is definitely the strongest so far, but I think binging it was the way to go.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:52 PM »
Finding out about the fanbase has really cooled me on this show, but I do still really like it

I found out about the annoying fanbase before I saw any episodes, and I've only seen episodes from Season 3, which is apparently the worst one, so I'm probably fucking it all up.

But the show seems to veer between shock violence and treacly sentimentality, like the episode where the therapist deconstructed Rick in thirty seconds and he was shaken by her insights. If he had banished her to another dimension that seems like it would have been true to the character.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Mightily Oats

• +72/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »

I found out about the annoying fanbase before I saw any episodes, and I've only seen episodes from Season 3, which is apparently the worst one, so I'm probably fucking it all up.

But the show seems to veer between shock violence and treacly sentimentality, like the episode where the therapist deconstructed Rick in thirty seconds and he was shaken by her insights. If he had banished her to another dimension that seems like it would have been true to the character.
Ignoring her because he knows she’s right and going to get drunk is a lot more in character

I saw the first season at the end of 2014 when my cousin showed it to me. Do yourself a favour and start from the beginning

The third season is “worse” because it’s slightly different

NeoGreenLantern

• +66/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 11:32:11 PM »
Yeah when someone cuts him down with some honest truth without signs of anger it gets to him. Just like how he was going to commit suicide after Unity cut him down.

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
Yeah when someone cuts him down with some honest truth without signs of anger it gets to him. Just like how he was going to commit suicide after Unity cut him down.

what a cuck

No wonder AP has him as his sig