Herochat

Right to discriminate

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
Right to discriminate
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
https://aclu-co.org/blog/president-trump-attorney-general-sessions-want-enshrine-business-right-discriminate-constitution/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwY8hwsaN8&lc=z22itrxyskvvv32uaacdp431m5fvi0dykshf3pd4wcpw03c010c.1505180384205845

What you think of this.  By a pure libertarian standard may be considered ok. And you could always get a cake someplace else. But what if isn't just cake. What about working, medicine, safety, housing

What if you just happen to live in a very backwards area where multiple places do that, and can't really afford to pack up and leave.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Right to discriminate
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »
IMHO you should not be able to turn away anyone any service you are offering to everyone else in the public. There is not such thing as a gay wedding cake. A wedding cake is a wedding cake. The baker doesn't even put the wedding toppers on. Those are purchased separately and added by a third party.

If you don't want to offer your service to everyone then open up a public store front.

herochat

• +101/-77
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »
It's the same shit as free speech. You should have the right to refuse service at an establishment you own for *any* reason, but then you also have to accept responsibility and not whine about anything that results because of it, including the inevitable loss of business from people who aren't dickwads. Fuck your feelings.

Addendum: if you don't own the business and just work there, you don't make decisions that run counter to the business owner. If you don't like it, quit. If you want to be some DMV cunt that doesn't like gaybois or you want to be some baker that doesn't make KKKakes, quit. Fuck your feelings.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:20:50 PM by herochat »
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

XerxesTWD

• +49/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:23:18 PM »
I think the Commerce Clause already covered this in the Supreme Court.

If you want to do business in the United States, you aren't supposed to refuse service by discriminating against the protected classes.

If you have a problem with that, you should not be doing business in the United States. Maybe Saudi Arabia would be a FAR more suitable venue for your shithole company.

herochat

• +101/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »

It didn't. Unless you want to take an incredibly broad and unintentional understanding of the clause, in which Native tribes had less economic rights in the United States than foreign powers did. It was used to enforce the CRA in cases dealing with interstate commerce, which was well within it's scope. The Commerce Clause doesn't and was never intended to apply to all businesses or protected classes in a broad sense.

XerxesTWD

• +49/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »

It didn't. Unless you want to take an incredibly broad and unintentional understanding of the clause, in which Native tribes had less economic rights in the United States than foreign powers did. It was used to enforce the CRA in cases dealing with interstate commerce, which was well within it's scope. The Commerce Clause doesn't and was never intended to apply to all businesses or protected classes in a broad sense.

Heart of Atlanta vs United States is pretty clear.

herochat

• +101/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »

Heart of Atlanta vs United States is pretty clear.

I knew what you were referring to. Read it again. I haven't read it since my first semester of law school, but the Commerce Clause was pretty clearly used to enforce the CRA under the auspices of affecting interstate commerce; it was an ingenius application of a related precedent, but it didn't somehow establish Federal oversight over all commerce.

I was refused service by a black barber in Misissipi when I was in high school because I wasn't his "preferred clientele". That's his right. I went down the street to a barber who actually wanted to make 25 bucks. That's my right. That's how the economy works. Whether you're some KKK dipshit who refuses to serve black people in your bar, or a liquor store owner who refuses to sell to Natives, go ahead. See how long before your fuckwit business collapses. That's America, not Saudi Arabia.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:09:08 PM by herochat »

herochat

• +101/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
And before you call me a Nazi or whatever for pointing out facts, I don't think anyone should discriminate against anyone for something as arbitrary as the color of their skin. That's being a shitty person, as well as a shitty businessperson. But if that's what they choose, they have to deal with the results.

XerxesTWD

• +49/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
I did read it again. It's covered pretty extensively in business law. It doesn't cover all commerce in existence, but it does set a large precedent for discriminatory practices in commerce.

Also, why would I call you a Nazi? That's not allowed in here.

herochat

• +101/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »
I didn't mean you specifically. I know you love me. It was more aimed at Rock, King of the Strawman.

And I wasn't saying that you were saying that I was saying you were saying it covered all commerce in existence. I was just clarifying that the Commerce Clause only applied in this context under very specific circumstances

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
I didn't mean you specifically. I know you love me. It was more aimed at Rock, King of the Strawman.

And I wasn't saying that you were saying that I was saying you were saying it covered all commerce in existence. I was just clarifying that the Commerce Clause only applied in this context under very specific circumstances

woukd call you a nazi. it against the rules. dont think i ever called  you that

herochat

• +101/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
I was screwing around, fella. Why is everyone so defensive today?

Bush did 9/11 like 25 years ago. Get over it.

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
your the one acting triggered that some will call u a nazi

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
So we all Agree? Wyntyr is a nazi? I'm gonna go ahead and lock this.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »
I'm stunned that Wyntyr pays 25 dollars for a haircut.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium