Herochat

Orville

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Orville
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
I find it interesting that it seems like all these different species discovered  interstellar travel at the same time and don't really know much about each other.

altoon

• +6/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »
hard to know a race if they don't want anything to do with you

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
I'm not even talking about the Krill. None of the different species seem to know much about each other.

Uhtceare

• +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
I'm not even talking about the Krill. None of the different species seem to know much about each other.

Yeah, they are kinda giving every character the sort of moments most movies give to that one audience stand-in everyman. The audience stand-in guy usually has a valid reason to be ignorant. But here you've got a bunch of species who have interacted enough to form a united government, yet who don't seem to know a damned thing about each other. Still, it has to kind of be forgiven, because what's the alternative? Never explain anything to the audience? Have all the characters play the "as you know blah blah blah" game, which is such a cringey solution.

So of the three major ways of dealing with this sort of information, having the various crew-members be ignorant about each other is the most acceptable. Not explaining anything is just frustrating and confusing. Having everyone play the "as we all know blah blah" game just makes everyone roll their eyes.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
The ignorance seems pretty organic too imho. It seems like they planetary union former pretty quickly after these different species all discovered deep space travel and the Orville is basically an Earth ship with a few non earth crew members basically acting as ambassadors. They encountered one species far ahead of the game and they see everyone else as animals.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
The ignorance seems pretty organic too imho. It seems like they planetary union former pretty quickly after these different species all discovered deep space travel and the Orville is basically an Earth ship with a few non earth crew members basically acting as ambassadors. They encountered one species far ahead of the game and they see everyone else as animals.
i agree on it (the ignorance) being organic.

This is like sticking ppl from all the UN  countries on a ship.
Yeah, you'd know who and what everyone was basically, but, you've never had direct contact with them till now, on average. And thats on a single planet level.
Now picture it on a galactic level.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
And as the first episode showed, the Captain has a general knowledge of other alien races (Bortus comes from the all-male Moclans, Alara has super strength, and Isaac comes from an advanced and racist planet).

But having that general knowledge, he doesn’t seem to know all the details of each alien race. Considering there seem to be hundreds, I think the show is taking a realistic viewpoint. Everyone seemed shocked about Moclans laying eggs except for the Chief Medical Officer (which makes sense, as she is a genius and needs to know Moclan physiology for her job).
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
^^^yup...-thumbs up-

I do hope they were smart enough to grab the Ankana once they had control of the Krill ship.
An actual copy'd be better than scans.

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 02:01:32 AM »
I'm going through this on Hulu, playing catch-up. I like the characters and their development, the dialogue can be bad. I hope it continues to improve.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
Just watched last nights very Black Mirror episode

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »
Just watched last nights very Black Mirror episode
The Upvote ep?
Didnt notice the title. It was the most Trek-like (a planet just like earth but with a twist) offering to date.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »
Black Mirror did the exact same premise minus the alien culture aspect.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »
Yup, the first episode of season 3 of Black Mirror. Also heard they're giving it a whirl in China soon.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »
Oh, its a show. Never heard of/seen it.
I enjoyed this Orville though.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
On Netflix. Sci-fi anthology all about technology and the way we relate to it, often taking place in the future, but sometimes with only slightly advanced tech. All different stories each episode. Think Twilight Zone/Outter Limits.