Herochat

Characters you like better in on screen adaptations

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Characters you like better in on screen adaptations
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
A lot of movies and tv don't live up to the source material. On the other hand, I find, particularly with comic book movies, that the live action treatment has been really good for a character. There are now quite a few characters who I like better due to their on screen portrayal. I'll list mine, but what are yours?

This is in order, bc it's actually kind of clear to me by how much more I took away from the actor than from the original.

1) Tony Stark
RD jr defines this for me. He brought a charm to the character that was necessary.

2) Wonder Woman
Gal Gadot finally made WW likable. Which in concept she should be, but just felt a bit messy a contradictary until I saw Gadot's effortless portrayal of naive and wise, war and peace, all well balanced with plenty of charm and charisma.

3) Deadpool
I thought the character was kind of annoying in the comics and apart from his cool look, I felt like a lot of different tones were taken with the character and almost all didn't really make for anything compelling. Then RR nailed it, and I did not see that coming.

4) JJ Jameson
Frankly it was just the phenomenal job of making the exact feeling of a character from the comic be there on the screen, and it felt like a comic character but at the same time a real person. Truly, it was just beautiful. J.K. Simmons is always great, and this was no exception.

5) Starlord
I kind of dug Starlord in the comics to some degree, the old grizzled space strategist take of Annihilation was cool. The Starlord brought to screen by Chris Pratt was 100x more relatable though. An 80's kid making his way through space, still retaining his devil may care, flippancy, wanting to be a big deal but not being one. Not living up to his potential but having fun while doing it. Prob my favorite Marvel cinematic character. Long live this guy who's super power is knowing how to get by.

6) Captain America
I actually never really cared for Cap in the comics, but in the movies I'm much more into him. Good work, another blonde Chris (last one on the list). You made a meh, into a yeh.

7) Doctor Octopus
I like Doc Ock in other things pretty much. He's not a bad villain by any means. It's a credit to Alfred Malino that I like him that much more on screen.

8) Catwoman
Michelle Phiefer's to be specific. It was a weird and wonderful portrayal and as much credit goes to her as to the costume designer and director, but her Catwoman is seered in my mind in a way that any other portrayal never will be. Shout out to Danny Devido's Penguin as well.

There are others I like, some about as much as I like as there comic portrayals but maybe for different reasons, some I still like even though I like their comic portrayals more, and some where I'm like, "yeah, both are ok". Those are the ones that I definitively like more than the comic book versions though.

So what're yours? Or feel particular ways about my picks, let me know in the comments below. And don't forget to hit like, and subscribe for more content. See you next time buzzfeeders!

The Shuruku Demon

• +15/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Characters you like better in on screen adaptations
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »
Chris Reeve's Superman, Keaton's Batman, Stewart's Xavier, McKellen's Magneto and Jackman's Wolverine all spring to mind as very likeable portrayals, moreso than many comic portrayals of the same characters.

I'll give a special/honourary mention to Bill Bixby's portrayal of "David" Bruce Banner. His performance made me care about and admire that character, moreso than I probably ever cared about the comic version.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »
See that Bill Bixby thing is mostly what I'm talking about. I agree that the portrayals you mentioned where all otherwise wonderful. But what Bixby did, making you care more about the character than you would otherwise, that's the magic.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-576
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
Chris Evans Captain America

I would say RDJr Tony, but the truth of the matter is that I like RDJr and still could give a shit about Iron Man

Thorne

• +16/-13
  • Destined for Valhalla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »
hellboy, didnt really care for the comics until ron pearlman played him

Kallor

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
Movie versions of comic characters often seem more likable to me because superheroes in comics are so often portrayed as complete assholes these days.  Movie versions get to take the essence of the character and present it without the baggage of years and years of event comics pushing them to confrontational extremes.  I have some faith that the MCU, at least, seems aware of this issue as well.  The MCU version of Civil War was pretty tame compared to the comic version.

Thanos6

• +12/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
Maria Hill, since her film version doesn't have the baggage of "arresting someone for not going along with a law that hasn't been passed yet" which accompanied her first comic appearance.
Truten forever!

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
Movie versions of comic characters often seem more likable to me because superheroes in comics are so often portrayed as complete assholes these days.  Movie versions get to take the essence of the character and present it without the baggage of years and years of event comics pushing them to confrontational extremes.  I have some faith that the MCU, at least, seems aware of this issue as well.  The MCU version of Civil War was pretty tame compared to the comic version.

Sure, but just as often, they suck all the life out of a character/can't adapt what's great about the character for shit.

I was thinking of doing a list like that as well but I figured it would probably be too long.

Just for a sample:

Dr. Doom
Dr. Doom, again
Juggernaut
Poison Ivy
Mr. Freeze
Elektra
Daredevil (Afflek, Cox is wonderful)
Iron Fist (not as bad as some here)
Catwoman (HB's portrayal)
Ghost Rider
The Fantastic Four
The Fantastic Four
Need I go on?

Oh and it's not like MCU or even Civil War is above reproach here. That guy playing Zemo did a good enough job I suppose, but he is completely forgettable compared to his comic book counterpart. On the whole very little complaints from the stuff they put out though, but as a whole, getting comic book material right on the big screen isn't always so easy. Obviously if the movie is bad, the characters won't be enjoyable. These things are often clearly linked.

Kallor

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:13:29 PM »

Sure, but just as often, they suck all the life out of a character/can't adapt what's great about the character for shit.

I was thinking of doing a list like that as well but I figured it would probably be too long.

Just for a sample:

Dr. Doom
Dr. Doom, again
Juggernaut
Poison Ivy
Mr. Freeze
Elektra
Daredevil (Afflek, Cox is wonderful)
Iron Fist (not as bad as some here)
Catwoman (HB's portrayal)
Ghost Rider
The Fantastic Four
The Fantastic Four
Need I go on?

Oh and it's not like MCU or even Civil War is above reproach here. That guy playing Zemo did a good enough job I suppose, but he is completely forgettable compared to his comic book counterpart. On the whole very little complaints from the stuff they put out though, but as a whole, getting comic book material right on the big screen isn't always so easy. Obviously if the movie is bad, the characters won't be enjoyable. These things are often clearly linked.

I said "often", not always, and hero portrayals rather than villains.  I was also focusing mainly on the MCU, since Fox and DC sucking more often than not is something I agree with.   

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 06:24:51 PM »
Well we're in sync then.

therock

• +23/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
iron man came off a lot less of an asshole then he did in the comics
even though in the movies he created ultron

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 08:55:27 PM »
Loki- Thor: The Dark World be thanked.

AP

• +51/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »
I love MCU Thor but I'm not a huge comic Thor fan.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »
Any character i might have picked has been well represented already.

Sherlock Holmes is a character i've always enjoyed more onscreen.
The books were fine and all, obviously, but so much more's been done with the concept cinematically.

I broke Scourge. Poor Scourge.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
Well it's not a thing where the character once named shouldn't be mentioned again. If there are those you like that have already been named that would be good to see as well. I figured there'd actually be a lot of overlap and agreement here.