Herochat

You and super-powers

Commander

• +13/-3
    • View Profile
You and super-powers
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:30:50 AM »
Just a hypothetical question.

Say you have a super-power (e.g. TK or flight or super-strength or, etc...)

a. Will you go on with your normal life and use it only when no one is looking? OR
b. Routinely act like a (Daredevil) vigilante and help people with your powers without the poor folks knowing their savior? OR
c. Use it to take advantage for personal gain? OR
d. Demonstrate your power with your identity hidden? OR
e. Demonstrate your power with your identity known?

Riv1

• +17/-837
    • View Profile
Re: You and super-powers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 01:47:26 AM »
I could actually see a pretty natural progression from A to at least D.
You might start out small, but once you open that door, there's really no going back.
And, given today's cameras im every phone and on every corner, E would likely end up happening whether you wanted it or not.

I broke Scourge. Poor Scourge.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:49:07 AM by Riv1 »
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Mightily Oats

• +71/-574
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:31:54 AM »
I'd help people, if I was present.

Personal gain is a given, but I'm not greedy and I have modest needs

Tjackflash

• +1/-35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »

That sounds about right, but let's not forget, God himself better help anyone who fucks with me or mine.
   Since I'm choosing something in the Rachel Grey spectrum of psi powers, I'd be at the first day of school for my niece & nephew every year and scan the staff. Anyone thinking evil things would have a sudden brain aneurism.
  "Oh dear, Mr. Jones just fell over dead."  "I wonder what's in his browser history?"
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

Riv1

• +17/-837
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »
^^^yeah, THAT would escalate quickly.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »

That sounds about right, but let's not forget, God himself better help anyone who fucks with me or mine.
   Since I'm choosing something in the Rachel Grey spectrum of psi powers, I'd be at the first day of school for my niece & nephew every year and scan the staff. Anyone thinking evil things would have a sudden brain aneurism.
  "Oh dear, Mr. Jones just fell over dead."  "I wonder what's in his browser history?"

You seem like an X-Files villain of the week with good intentions who actually himself is a murdering monster. Like the guy in the movie Falling Down meets the kid in Chronicle. A couple of slippery slopes later and you'd be killing someone smoking weed in a school zone. Soon the school zone wouldn't matter.

As to the OP question, I'm thinking Oats answer most closely reflects my own. I wonder if I may even go and patrol like DD (b), or with enough power might attempt wider change? Though I'd have to consult with others and really consider this. I mean great power = great responsibility but what's going too far? A lot of moral grey, and I don't want to be killing jaywalkers in the vein of tjack's war on those speeding in a school zone.

herochat

• +100/-77
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »
Monster? D-Fens is a goddamn HERO, fella
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
That's the only movie I ever wrote a review for on Netflix (back when Netflix was a website that people also interacted on) discussing how conflicted I felt. How I could not reconcile my two takes on the character. You're right, he is a hero. But he's still a monster.

Gree

• +36/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »
Really depends on what power I have

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
It looks like you have Chronicle style TK based on the OP as there's general TK, flight (manifested via TK), and super strength (manifested via TK)

herochat

• +100/-77
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
It looks like you have Chronicle style TK based on the OP as there's general TK, flight (manifested via TK), and super strength (manifested via TK)

It implies you have a random power with TK, flight, strength as examples. That's the kind of mistake I would expect from someone who doesn't think D-Fens is the hero this city deserves, though
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »
I well know what the OP is implying, but keeping it open ended turns the topic into "well if I had this power I'd do a) etc." which seems tangental so I simplified it into one power w/ some outside the box thinking. The very same outside the box thinking that allows me to see Douglas as hero and villain simultaneously.

Riv1

• +17/-837
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
^^^that sounds right (the power set).
I also thought of the kid from Chronicle when reading 'Flash's post. Nice touch with the additional X Files comparison.

Tjackflash

• +1/-35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »

You seem like an X-Files villain of the week with good intentions who actually himself is a murdering monster. Like the guy in the movie Falling Down meets the kid in Chronicle. A couple of slippery slopes later and you'd be killing someone smoking weed in a school zone. Soon the school zone wouldn't matter.

As to the OP question, I'm thinking Oats answer most closely reflects my own. I wonder if I may even go and patrol like DD (b), or with enough power might attempt wider change? Though I'd have to consult with others and really consider this. I mean great power = great responsibility but what's going too far? A lot of moral grey, and I don't want to be killing jaywalkers in the vein of tjack's war on those speeding in a school zone.

I see that I was too vague on "evil thoughts".  I meant specifically child molesters.  I doubt anybody on this site has any problem with swift and brutal judgement for them, with the immediate death penalty being the only cause for debate. Remember however, if I'm looking directly into their minds for my evidence, there can be no chance of incorrect evidence.
   I think that acting as a masked vigilante with no accountability before the law has a much higher chance for a "slippery slope" than simply having a more than average look at the people coming into contact with me and mine.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:52:06 PM by Tjackflash »
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
Good thing you wern't here for the era of the "jailbait" thread