Herochat

Top 5 List: Favorite Comic Book movies

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Top 5 List: Favorite Comic Book movies
« on: September 01, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
Of all time. All franchises. What are they? Just saw a list ranking which was ok,but I bet the ones here will be more interesting.

If your fav are different than the ones you think are objectively the best, you can do a list for fav and a list for objective best separately. Your call.

Mightily Oats

• +71/-574
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 List: Favorite Comic Book movies
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »
Batman 1989
Captain America: The First Avenger

I dunno, Reeve Superman I guess?

XerxesTWD

• +44/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »
Do they have to be ranked or can we just pick 5?

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
Rank if you can, but if not, no worries. You can also do ranked w/ some ties.

HalloweenJack

• +11/-5
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
I'd say for me it'd be Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Superman The Movie, Thor (may not be the best movie, but I'm a sucker for Asgard), and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm if animated movies count

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
Animated is certainly on the table

Thorne

• +14/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
1. Superman II (The Richard Donner Cut)
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 & 2
3. The Incredibles
4. Deadpool
5. Iron Man

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
Subject to change, but something like this at the moment, I think:

1. Iron Man--The movie that changed the game. Establishing the tone for the most successful franchise in this genre. And honestly, I think it's still probably the best. What is true of this, and is true of a couple of others on this list, but the movie made me interested in character I didn't necessarily care for a whole helluva lot before. The real reason this is number 1 though, is the caliber of talent. From RDjr's phenomenal, career changing, Stark portrayal, to amazing support. Jeff Bridges was a devious hatable fuck. I didn't know he could be?

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)--"Might be feeling a little too nostalgic for TMNT, but there's a lot to love about that movie, and there are probably similar ones like it that I'm not even thinking of right now. At the age I was when this came out, this made the characters "real" for me in a way that no other franchise had before. I thought I'd see one of these things peeking out from the sewers. Going back and watching it though, the tone is both light and dark in such a wonderful balance. The tragic loss of Splinter and Raphael being badly hurt had more impact than a thousand gratitoutous deaths in more modern entries for me. Also Casey Jones was sick. Raph was sick. Great tone. Great movie. Great fun.

3. Guardians of The Galaxy--While I might have watched it too many times at this point. I liked Quill as much as I liked Stark. And I didn't even know from Quil before this. I liked the interactions. The comedy tone was well done, not like in the sequel. The misfits coming together in such a fun space ride. Really well paced as well.

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier This came out only a few minutes apart from GotG, and a drastically different tone but it was the peak of Marvel summer hits thus far AFAIC. Much darker and more frightening tone. It was like an epic spy thriller meets an action packed super-hero ride. Just a great hero epic, and again, a character that did little for me in the comics brought to life in a way that I cared about. Winter Soldier was also a truly menacing villain.

5. Wonder Woman / Spider-Man: Homecoming (Tie) - The entries from this summer. Wonder Woman gets it for the reasons of making me care so much for a character that didn't really make sense to me in the comics. I got her deal here. More than that, she was likable, and charming. Naive but worldly. A symbol of both war and peace. To contain such elements that do not fit easily together in one character makes them seem more tangible. Gadot did this and made it look effortless. The ending was a little PEW PEW, certainly, but honestly didn't bother me. Spidey it was just so much fun. The light-hearted joy of it was infectious. This was a character I already liked, and as much as I enjoyed the previous Spidey's specifically Toby's first and second, and Garfield's first, I think I might like this one more. Which is impressive as I've continually liked each in their first time out. We'll see how this ages. I think the first two Rami Spidey's are still very watchable. I think someone said it, but I was watching the first and it felt like the embodiment of the time period it was filmed in, like a time capsule. And the second is just strong all over. This one though? I still think I liked more so it makes the top 5.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:20:36 AM by scourge »

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
1. Spider-Man 2 - Easily the gold standard.  Perfectly directed comicbook movie, period.

After #1 the order becomes less obvious.  I could put Nolan's first two Batmovies along with Superman I & II and call it a day, but that's lame so...

2.  X-Men 2  - Literally gives you EXACTLY what you paid for.  In fact I'm sure 99% of people who saw this movie thought to themselves "that's exactly what I hoped that would be."  Still a standard bearer for comicbook action sequences that integrate powers with fight choreo. 

3. Batman - It was a toss up between this and Batman Begins, but ultimately I have to be true to myself.  Burton's Gotham is superior as well as Keaton's Batman and Jack's Joker.  "Never mess with another man's rhubarb." 😸

4. Blade 2 - I just really enjoy this one so go to hell!  Another one where the director just really understands the character and the proper visual and narrative tone to take.  Also perfectly cast.

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The MCU is largely dogshit, which is why this gem really stands out.  Evans really comes into his own as Cap, and Scarlett is actually really useful in this film.  The performances top to bottom are stellar and the plot doesn't get bogged down by too much PIS and the typically amatuerish MCU character development.  It's a straightforward political thriller starring the perfect man for the job - Robert Redford.  Knocking Fury off his perch was a nice touch and gave the threat that much more weight.  Comicbooky, not cartoonish.

Honorable Mention/Best Origin Story - Superman
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:14:43 PM by BillyRunsThingsSon »

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 08:14:01 PM »
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - In 76 minutes the TAS crew deliver an endearing essay on the character. Reinforcing and emboldening his ethos.
------
The Crow - Such a portrait of its time. The cinematography is some of the best I've seen, combine that with the soundtrack and a chilling performance from the late Brandon Lee and its a big winner.

Spider-Man - say what you will, but it had this distinctive, geeky, charm to it that felt like a 60's comic brought to life.

Avengers - the Sheer spectacle and joy of it. Yes it plays light after all the forward MCU progression, but all the characters get their, "Big Hero Moment" and it's worth it to see, Everytime!

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The writing along with Evans' performance made me care about the character far more than the comics ever did. He has a naivety about him that somehow compound his strength. He finds a way to win, without compromising his ethics and that's something I believe everyone hopes for.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
Loving these elaborations on the picks. I should go back and give it a whirl

Not BAMF

• +5/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
Woo, this is hard. Let's see what comes to mind.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Deadpool

Captain America Civil War

Sin City

Dark Knight

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
Captain America Civil War

Wow, what made you change your mind?

MPagar

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
Spider-Man 2
Blade 2
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
The Dark Knight

Bateman Returns as a close contender on the list. Also, wow, I guess I really, really like comic book movie sequels.

Insane Titan

• +4/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »
GOTG vol 1
Winter soldier
Batman (Keaton)
Watchmen
Spider man 2