Herochat

The Tick! On Amazon Episodes 1 to 6

Mightily Oats

• +72/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
Re: The Tick! On Amazon Episodes 1 to 6
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »
I actually never read The Tick. My local comic shop didn't carry it so my first exposure was the original cartoon.
Well.

I think he means the original comic, cause it definitely began to ape the show

But the important thing is that the original creator was involved with the cartoon, Warburton's show and this show

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
Yeah, the original comic before the cartoon and everything.  You still had goofier elements like the Man Eating Cow and stuff, but more often that not, the world played the straight man to the Tick.  Even the parody characters like the Superman parody and the Elektra parody were played somewhat straight and the comedy came from them reacting to the Tick's weirdness.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »
Yeah, the original comic before the cartoon and everything.  You still had goofier elements like the Man Eating Cow and stuff, but more often that not, the world played the straight man to the Tick.  Even the parody characters like the Superman parody and the Elektra parody were played somewhat straight and the comedy came from them reacting to the Tick's weirdness.
*cough*

*cough*

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
*cough*

*cough*

You still had goofier elements like the Man Eating Cow and stuff

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »

Yeah it definitely sounds like this show.

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 10:36:39 PM »
Are there other superheroes and villains?

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 11:12:01 PM »
Yeah The Terror, Ms. Lint, and Ramse The IV are the main villains. For heroes you got Tick, Arthur, Overkill (Batman/Punisher hybrid), Dangerboat (Overkill's KITT like boat voiced by Alan Tudyk) and Superian (A Superman knockoff).

Not BAMF

• +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 06:02:07 AM »
I gave up on this after the 3rd or 4th episode. It's BORING, which is one thing a Tick show should never be. In the first few episodes, I only laughed out loud one time, and that was the nod to how awful the costume in the pilot was after they changed it for the rest of the show (When Arthur said "Didn't you look different before?" or whatever).

That was it. It's a surprisingly joyless first few episodes, at least. I don't care if Dot is into some kind of sinister underground work. I don't care if The Terror killed Arthur's dad. Who the fuck wants either of these stories from a Tick show? Ms. Lint pining away for The Terror? What-the-fuck-ever. The series seems like it is angling to ape the Marvel Netflix shows in tone, but instead of parodying them in a Tick-centered universe, they are just telling less interesting stories in the same vein and oh yeah, there's a big blue guy running around. It's like they found an incredibly untalented screen writer who had limited exposure to The Tick and told him, "Make a Tick show but base it around modern comic television".

The guy who plays The Tick is okay. I won't hold Not Being Warburton against him, but he's just... adequate. He's not really owning the role; he's just kind of renting it for a spell. Arthur is annoying and unentertaining as hell. I can't get behind him at all. I think it's a combination of the writing and the actor, but he's just a pest. 

I don't know if I can even bring myself to watch the rest of the available episodes at this point, much less anything else they release.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:21:48 AM by Not BAMF »

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »
I gave up on this after the 3rd or 4th episode. It's BORING, which is one thing a Tick show should never be. In the first few episodes, I only laughed out loud one time, and that was the nod to how awful the costume in the pilot was after they changed it for the rest of the show (When Arthur said "Didn't you look different before?" or whatever).

That was it. It's a surprisingly joyless first few episodes, at least. I don't care if Dot is into some kind of sinister underground work. I don't care if The Terror killed Arthur's dad. Who the fuck wants either of these stories from a Tick show? Ms. Lint pining away for The Terror? What-the-fuck-ever. The series seems like it is angling to ape the Marvel Netflix shows in tone, but instead of parodying them in a Tick-centered universe, they are just telling less interesting stories in the same vein and oh yeah, there's a big blue guy running around. It's like they found an incredibly untalented screen writer who had limited exposure to The Tick and told him, "Make a Tick show but base it around modern comic television".

The guy who plays The Tick is okay. I won't hold Not Being Warburton against him, but he's just... adequate. He's not really owning the role; he's just kind of renting it for a spell. Arthur is annoying and unentertaining as hell. I can't get behind him at all. I think it's a combination of the writing and the actor, but he's just a pest. 

I don't know if I can even bring myself to watch the rest of the available episodes at this point, much less anything else they release.
I hope HalloweenJack reveals more intimate life details to your family!

HalloweenJack

• +15/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
THIS JUST IN! BAMF DOESN'T TRY HARD ENOUGH FOR HIS COSPLAY IDEAS!

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and ban not bamf. The only thing bad about the show is that the second half of the season isn't coming until Feb.