Herochat

What Happened To Monday

What Happened To Monday
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
What's the solution to the following problem: Orphan Black + John Wick=?  Stumped?  Not surprised.  In fact, I doubt any of you even thought such a movie would be made... or even conceived.  However, the good folks at  *in the Santino Marella voice* the Flix of the Net have seen fit to give us what we never knew we wanted in the first place.

Still stumped?  Ok, I'll end your suffering.  The answer is Netflix's new sci-fi action flick What Happened To Monday!!!  YAAAAAAY!!!!  If you appreciate a fast-paced action romp with a tremendous and CAPABLE female lead then you'll likely enjoy this film.  I'm biased because I've absolutely love Noomi Rapace.  I think she has such a powerful presence whenever's she on screen.  Not only are her performances so earnest and empathetic, but she's actually got the physique to actually sell the action incredibly well. 

I haven't seen Atomic Blonde, but I'm frankly tired of seeing weak, soft women playing action stars.  Noomi Rapace clearly puts in the time in the weight room and literally looks like she could tear ScarJo and Charlize Theron apart at the same time in real life.  She's not depicted unrealistically either, except for one clearly ridiculous scene.  However, even though I was scratching my head, I was having too much fun by that point to turn off the movie.  I WANTED TO KNOW WTF HAPPENED TO MONDAY!!!  Just like in the John Wick movie, particularly the second one, the movie is moving too fast for you to stop and over-analyze various plot points/holes.  Just like Keanu, Noomi hooks you with a sincere performance that has you rooting at her victories, and getting bummed out when she takes an L.

The context for my enjoyment of this film is that I watched it after watching a pretty shitty series called The Defenders (also on Netflix).  WHTM had the dual effect of highlighting what quality action set pieces on a budget should like, while making that Defenders series look that much more like dog bleep.  It was nice to see proper violence. 

Ultimately this is a sci-fi action flick made on a budget so modulate your expectations accordingly.  My primary criticism, aside from "the scene" is that this should've been a mini-series with maybe 6-8 episodes.  There's not enough time to build the world.  It's 2 hours long, but it basically plays like Minority Report if it started in the second or third act.  No real plot development, it's just off to the races.  With that said, if you appreciate a chick who can go like Ric Flair before his heart attack, and some good clean fun for the whole family, check this flick out.  You won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:04:02 PM by BillyRunsThingsSon »

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened To Monday
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »
I literally thought this was a Letters post at first.

AP

• +51/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:09:24 PM »
I thought it was Hulk Victorious.  It is on that level of incoherence.

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
I thought Letters due to the eclipse today

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
Just watch the movie!  Especially if you love the GODDESS Noomi Rapace.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 11:36:28 PM »
Thats dragon tattoo chick, right? She's a hottie.
Never realized she lifted.

I broke Scourge. Poor Scourge.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:23:39 AM »
Thats dragon tattoo chick, right? She's a hottie.
Never realized she lifted.

She got them LGBT muscles - bis and tris.

AP

• +51/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 02:11:23 AM »
You have weird tastes in women and entertainment.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 06:21:24 AM »
She IS kinda hot.
Dont know about that LGBT muscle thing, though.

Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »
What's the solution to the following problem: Orphan Black + John Wick=?  Stumped? 

I misread Orphan Black for Oprah Winfrey.

For a few brief moments my mind conjured some very awkward imagery...

Not BAMF

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »
The OP is better if you read it in Billy Mays' voice.

Thorne

• +16/-13
  • Destined for Valhalla
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
the ending is dark as fuck

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
the ending is dark as fuck

Yeah it totally made the movie for me.  You spend the whole movie rooting for Noomi to succeed that you don't stop to make heads or tails of what is actually happening.  Then the movie reaches it's final act, you're already a little bummed, a little emotionally fatigued, and then BAM the movie final act hits you in the chest.
 This movie could've had "PREPOSTEROUS" written all over it, but Noomi Rapace and Glen Close deliver such incredible performances that you walk away from the experience first appreciating your siblings more, but also unable to deny the brilliance of their work.

altoon

• +6/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »
So the reason I thought going in as to why this wouldn't work ends up being why everything happened nice.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
So the reason I thought going in as to why this wouldn't work ends up being why everything happened nice.

So you liked it?