Herochat

Marvel's Defenders episodes 5-8

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
Marvel's Defenders episodes 5-8
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:49:58 AM »
So I've heard about this Defender thing that's coming out Friday.  So this thread will be for episodes 5-8.  I assume there's 8 episodes.  I really haven't heard anything about it.  Anyone know what this is?

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel's Defenders episodes 5-8
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:14:20 AM »
Marvel continues to surprise us at every turn! How the fuck did they film an entire series like this while keeping the public in the dark!?
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

therock

• +19/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Marvel continues to surprise us at every turn! How the fuck did they film an entire series like this while keeping the public in the dark!?

Also netflix marvel better at giving you good trailers without being to spoiliery

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 06:48:18 PM »
What is this Netflix you speak of?

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +4/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
God, why am I on episode 7??? I'm so tired, but I just can't stop.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
Damn, episode 5 kicks off right in the middle of the action.  I didn't expect nearly the entire Hand to show up at the beginning.  Sowande and Muramasa are both pretty badass.  I kinda wonder why Alexandra didn't join in considering she knows how to handle herself.

I'm not quite believing Colleen would be so anti-Defenders, though.  She wanted to gain allies, but she thinks the others are dealing with stuff they don't understand.  I guess that's true of Luke and Jessica but Stick and Matt have been in the thick of it for a while now.  Aside form that, I liked her subplot involving Bakuto this episode.

We get a lot of the supporting cast being gathered at Misty's precinct, which is fun to see but I'm wondering when Claire and Matt will interact with each other.  Daredevil has been retired for a few months, so I thought she might be curious to get back in touch in some way.  Plus, I'm sure Luke or Danny have mentioned that Daredevil is with them now.  We know that she's willign to pick up the phone and get Luke and Danny in the same room, so it's odd she didn't call Matt.

I'm guessing the Hand didn't put two and two together in figuring out Matt is Daredevil, which is good for Matt.  Muramasa didn't know about DD until he saw him in costume and the rest of the fingers seemed concerned at that point.  I guess they figured there was just some random guy in a suit helping in the fight.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
I just finished episode 6 and holy shit, that's a game changer.  I'll wait until everyone else has caught up before I get into it.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
I finished the whole thing now.  The last four episodes are much stronger than the first four.  There were some things I kinda expected and some things that were pretty surprising.  This whole thing was fucking awesome!

Uhtceare

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 02:05:07 AM »
I thought it was funny how she lampshaded Danny telling everyone he meets that he's the immortal iron fist, the protector of Kunlun.  :P

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 02:16:09 AM »
Yeah, that was good.

They also lampshade Jessica Jones never changing her clothes.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
So spoilers. I didn't even look in here until I finished the last 4.

I'll start with gripes as I don't have AP's level of hypes:

- Stick wanting Danny dead was telegraphed 20 miles away, but it was somewhat made even more obvious when Luke is like "someone's gotta watch him" and Stick is still right there. Daredevil should have known better. Killing people to fuck over the Hand is Stick's MO.

- How the fuck does The Hand keep finding them? Resources etc, but at the restaurant then at the Hideout. And it's never just a mook stumbling on it who is sweeping the city. It's always a character who is of major importance. Are they using trackers? Magic? I don't doubt they can find people but damn. So much goes into how the heroes find the villains, but I guess it makes the villains more frightening to not know how they do what they do??

- that damn elevator! The only one. Why was it up at the top of the the thing.

- Nobu seemed much more badass than every hand memeber save Gao and the Black guy. Certainly more so than his faction leader.

- Misty's gonna get the arm but that kid in the wheel chair from the first episode doesn't get shit :(

Ok now what I'm glad of--

The very last scene, when you-know-who is you-know-what.

The Gao badassery. The budding friendship btwn various characters who are tight in the comics... though weird that of all the people waiting for Misty in the hospital to wake up, it's someone she just met.

All and all, I still give it 8 pineapples. Fun ride but the whole show was a little unwieldy. Felt like the mine cart scene in Temple of Doom is an appropriate metaphor. It tips off its tracks here and there but mostly stays the course. With all the Hand build up through out the various series, they did a decent job of paying off a lot of it, though it mostly felt like stuff they came up with after the fact. Gao's story from DD season 1 to this has really been the through line for me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:09:17 AM by scourge »

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 10:22:02 AM »
The Hand tracking them down to the restaurant was explained at least.  They tracked Danny's phone.  Showing up to kill the architect at Jessica's place or showing up to kill Trish during her business meeting seems pretty obvious.  Elektra showing up at the old theater was the only one that made me scratch my head.

As for Stick trying to kill Danny, yeah, I saw that one coming.  I was kinda surprised Matt didn't think of it since he once had to stop Stick from killing Elektra who he had raised and trained.

My big issue was that the Black Sky has yet to be fully explained.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
I guess yeah it was Elektra just being st the hideout which seemed lazy. Didn't they touch on Black Sky more in Daredevil? I can't quite recall, but I thought it was something about an inate destructive individual w/ raw potential for power/violence that is unlocked via the resurrection process. No more easily understood than the true nature of the Iron Fist. Dragon & chi, sure but that's not much more of an explanation.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
I guess yeah it was Elektra just being st the hideout which seemed lazy. Didn't they touch on Black Sky more in Daredevil? I can't quite recall, but I thought it was something about an inate destructive individual w/ raw potential for power/violence that is unlocked via the resurrection process. No more easily understood than the true nature of the Iron Fist. Dragon & chi, sure but that's not much more of an explanation.

Stick said when the Black Sky is activated, no one knows what will happen.  They didn't mention the resurrection process, though.  I think that was just a happy accident for them.  Anyway, Stick made it seem like it was some demonic force that would unleash some devastating attack.  Elektra obviously became powerful enough to knock Luke Cage and Jessica Jones around but otherwise, she didn't seem that far removed form the other Hand leaders.

Kallor

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »
Black Sky, and Alexandra's steadfast belief that it was the Hand's salvation, didn't make much sense to me as presented.