Herochat

Naming names of people on social media

therock

• +23/-63
    • View Profile
Naming names of people on social media
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
lot of people seeking out the names of people at that hate group march. Including Jennifer asking her fans to do the same

to me that a bit dangerous. Since as much as I dislike these guys, dont want them to get hit with a brick. Yes their asshole but violence is rarely ok.  Also you could name the wrong guy. It seem like mob mentailty and mob justice

Then again if you post that shit on social media yourself..or pose for the cameras giving an interview its a bit on you if you get fired from Your Job at arbys.

For instance I have one my Jobs at the airport. If I went online

"man FUCK UNITED...you puppy killing fucks. United you can SUCK DEEZ NUTS yo.  And I hate Asians. Glad they kicked that mother fucker off the plane."

if I get called into the office I cant really cry free speech

NeoGreenLantern

• +59/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Naming names of people on social media
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »
I'm OK with them being outed. The decided to make their faces represent hate. I'm not ok with them facing violence over it. If they face any other repercussions like getting fired thats on them.

80sBaby

• +22/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
I have no problem with this.

herochat

• +103/-80
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
I'm only interested in dlb's opinion on the subject
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Not BAMF

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:43:20 PM »
I'm a fan of it in theory, but in practice? Too many false identifications may be made and disturb innocent peoples' lives. I've already seen two news stories of folks being falsely accused of having been at Charlottesville.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »
In this day and age, to think you can involve yourself in something like this, and there's no chance of being recognized, or outed somehow, is naive. 
Anyone who does these kinds of things may as well OWN it.
Crying foul afterwards because there's repercussions to their actions is, well, quite sad.

So i've no problem with names being sought out. 
And yes, mistakes can be made, but, that doesn't mean it shouldnt still be done.
Saying something isnt 100% perfect isnt a reason not to do it, IMO.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Not BAMF

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
In this day and age, to think you can involve yourself in something like this, and there's no chance of being recognized, or outed somehow, is naive. 
Crying foul afterwards because there's repercussions to their actions is, well, quite sad.

And yes, mistakes can be made, but, that doesn't mean it shouldnt still be done.

I guess this is one of those "I'd rather see 100 guilty men go free than see 1 innocent man imprisoned" kind of things, but I can't support that at all. There's nothing being done here so worthwhile that the collateral damage of possibly ruining an innocent person's reputation/career/relationships is acceptable.

I mean, if this is an extremely well-vetted process and no cases of mistaken identity are made? Great, that's just fun; ruin assholes' lives! But what if you or someone you know lost your job or got your property destroyed because a website said some guy that looks like you was you? No good.

Riv1

• +20/-867
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »

I guess this is one of those "I'd rather see 100 guilty men go free than see 1 innocent man imprisoned" kind of things, but I can't support that at all. There's nothing being done here so worthwhile that the collateral damage of possibly ruining an innocent person's reputation/career/relationships is acceptable.

I mean, if this is an extremely well-vetted process and no cases of mistaken identity are made? Great, that's just fun; ruin assholes' lives! But what if you or someone you know lost your job or got your property destroyed because a website said some guy that looks like you was you? No good.
Thats fine, and i'm not saying that sarcastically.
I get the rationale, i just cant agree with it.
Those 100 guilty men set free, to follow up in your analogy? Theyre going to destroy even MORE lives than the one innocent imprisoned.
I cant see that as as fair in any way.

EDIT
This isnt a death penalty debate, so apologies for the tangent.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:03:03 PM by Riv1 »
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:22:37 PM »

Agreed. Within twenty-four hours of Charlottesville, mistaken identity doxxings had already happened. What recourse do these people have? And considering the politically charged climate we are in, how much danger are these people in?

It's a stupid thing to do.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

therock

• +23/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
can a lot of that be solved with due dillgents

although basicly best way it simply not name them unless you know him. Either by knowing the person or they make it that obvious.. If their on video, if the video out there eventullly the correct person will be hit anyway

Like people at their work going to know who they are. No need to track them down  or any shit like that. Eventully it will get to them.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:06:09 PM »

Hoping that will happen is a pipe dream. You're not dealing with the top agents of Scotland Yard, it's a bunch of random people on the Internet.

AP

• +52/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 07:16:57 PM »
The New York Times just did an article about fake doxxing.  I say it's dangerous.  If the Nazis start shit again in public, I'm sure they'll be caught in the act eventually.  If they lay low from now on, problem solved.

therock

• +23/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 07:38:33 PM »

Hoping that will happen is a pipe dream. You're not dealing with the top agents of Scotland Yard, it's a bunch of random people on the Internet.

yes but the news sites that reports on them
and also the bloogers, and websites that report on them

Can do due dillgents by not posting what a random dude post, or encouraging people to do your Job for you.

As for random people...Cant do anything about them.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »
The fact that there have been numerous false doxxings in the past makes me very skeptical that there will be a dramatic improvement in due diligence going forward.

Snake-eyes

• +5/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 07:48:56 PM »
If you are going to give out people's information, you should be required to post your's.