Herochat

Culture wars at Google

Pillow Biter

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Culture wars at Google
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »
Okay. I'm open to the idea that the guy is less of an idiot than I thought. Still, next to racial differences, biological gender differences are the biggest third-rail around. It's where careers of all kinds go to die. How could he not know?
But I'll take a look at the vid later.
(But 10 pages suggests, at least on the surface, that the guy is a bit unbalanced.)

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
I'm sure he's socially inept and borderline autistic. But so are a lot of people in STEM. Remember the NASA scientist who gave an interview on live TV after a major NASA accomplishment wearing a shirt with anime girls printed on it? He was destroyed in the press, had to give a tearful apology for what should have been one of the best days of his life... It turns out he wore the shirt because he legitimately thought it looked cool, and was a gift from a female friend. It never occurred to him that it might not be appropriate.

In the interview, the Google guy mentions his letter was part of an ongoing discussion that began after Google had some mandatory diversity meetings in which they exerted pressure on team leaders to get more women and visible (non-Asian) minorities involved. It doesn't seem to be something he released out of the blue. And it was leaked to the general public by people whose opinion he was soliciting.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Pillow Biter

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 05:18:11 PM »
And the rationale behind TEN pages...

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
As someone who's spent years of my life debating in comic book vs. battles, I'm in no position to judge.

Anyway, this wasn't ten dense pages of text. I'm not sure where the page count came from. Probably the way the Google chat room cuts up blocks of texts?

It's a bit overly critical to complain about the length. If it was only a page or two, people would complain it was too superficial to take seriously. At "ten" pages, it's too detailed. C'mon.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium