Herochat

Book Recommendations

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Book Recommendations
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
We're balls deep in summer which means I'm already falling behind in the fun of summer reading. I just bought four books yesterday, but I want to know what you guys like.

Specifically probably fiction. If anything in the horror/sci-fi genres comes to mind, that's a good place to start.

Really though, anything that really did it for you, even non-fiction. What are some of your favorites/what do you recommend? I want a real page turner.

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
I'm reading the first Dirk Gently book at the moment.

Also, did you ever read The Prestiege?

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
Billy Liar is great. I just found out there was a sequel, and I'm reading it right now over a bowl of avegolemono soup.

Billy Liar is about a young guy living in northern England who's a habitual liar and the slow unraveling of his world. It's absolutely hilarious and the movie is equally good. You can get both from the New York Public Library system.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +19/-858
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:49:24 AM »
https://www.goodreads.com/series/62309-weird-west-tales
Cant go wrong with Mike Resnick.

I broke Scourge. Poor Scourge.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
Thanks, riv, I'll check out your link. Now stop puffing out your chest and make a damn post w/o talking shit for fuck's sake.

Never read The Prestige, but based on your question, AP, I'm guessing it's good? What about the Dirk Gently, how are you liking that?

MTL, I'm sometimes ok with hardcover books, but more often than not prefer paperback, hence hitting used book stores more than the library given that most of the books at the library seem to be hardcover. This Billy Liar does sound intriguing tho. Never heard of it in book or movie format.

Thanos6

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
If you want fun horror/sci-fi, you can't go wrong with anything by William Schoell.  He wrote eight horror/sci-fi novels back in the 80s that are all schlocky, cheesy fun, and have some very effectively creepy scenes.  (I've also talked with him by e-mail, and he's a nice guy)

I'd especially recommend Saurian, it's probably his best book.  It's about a kid who's the sole survivor of a kaiju attack that destroys his whole town, and his second encounter with the monster as an adult.
Truten forever!

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »
The Automatic Detective by A Lee Martinez was a fun read. It's a sci-fi/noire mashup.

Riv1

• +19/-858
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »
Thanks, riv, I'll check out your link. Now stop puffing out your chest and make a damn post w/o talking shit for fuck's sake.
I...like Mike Resnick. Thats why recommended him. ???

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
If you want fun horror/sci-fi, you can't go wrong with anything by William Schoell.  He wrote eight horror/sci-fi novels back in the 80s that are all schlocky, cheesy fun, and have some very effectively creepy scenes.  (I've also talked with him by e-mail, and he's a nice guy)

I'd especially recommend Saurian, it's probably his best book.  It's about a kid who's the sole survivor of a kaiju attack that destroys his whole town, and his second encounter with the monster as an adult.

Had a dream about Kaiju attacks last night, and then woke up to thunder and was half asleep so thought it was a kaiju attack on the city. Seems like a sign that I should track this Saurian book down.

The Automatic Detective by A Lee Martinez was a fun read. It's a sci-fi/noire mashup.

Fan of both genres and they work well together, thanks for the rec. Going to have to make another trip to the used book store soon to see if any of these are there.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
Automatic Detective sounds great, I'm going to check it out as well.

Could this lead to a revival of the Herochat Book Club?

Scourge, I'm not sure if you've ever read Dune, but if not, I highly recommend it. The first book, anyway.

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
Never have, but I've heard good things before and was very intrigued by the tid-bits I took in from the movie. That's another now on my list.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
Dune is incredible. I can't recommend it enough. It's the kind of book where you'll be going back to it re-read small bits for the rest of your life.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:11:46 PM by MTL76 »

scourge

• +22/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
Damn, ok, that's the most emphatic rec yet. Might have to bump that to the top of the list if I can find a copy soon.

herochat

• +101/-77
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
I keep hearing great things about The Automatic Detective. I'll have to check it out
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Riv1

• +19/-858
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 01:21:17 AM »
I keep hearing great things about The Automatic Detective. I'll have to check it out
A Lee Martinez is really good.
I've read The Automatic Detective, A Nameless Witch, Gil's All Fright Diner, Divine, Monster...pretty much all his stuff i could get my hands on.
Not a bad book in the bunch.