Herochat

The Mist (it's a show now too)

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
The Mist (it's a show now too)
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
It's four episodes in now (I've only seen the first three) and I'm liking it more than the movie set up. A great sense of suspense and horror building with a slow burn. Nothing ground breaking in this error of so many shit your pants with wonder tv shows, but it certainly has me intrigued and would recommend if you're looking for something new in the sci-fi horror show genre.

Riv1

• +15/-828
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
Re: The Mist (it's a show now too)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
I've been catching this.
Slow burn is a good way to describe it.
So far the human interactions are taking center stage (the mall is damn near imploding after like, 3 minutes), but whatever's in the mist keeps reminding us, the viewers, its out there, either directly (attacks/bodies) or indirectly (the hangings rather than face it).

Its like the other shoe has yet to drop.

I broke Scourge. Poor Scourge.

Von Doom

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »
How is the "human interaction," because I started to watch the first episode, and after the opening bit, it went straight to the high school, and I turned it off. I've completely lost interest in teenage drama on tv shows as it's always the same. Does it focus on that a lot, or is it at least different than the standard garbage? Teens in a show are fine. Teens being the centerpiece generally isn't.

Riv1

• +15/-828
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:42:17 AM »
Well, its not a teen drama is all i can tell you.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 06:00:56 AM »
How is the "human interaction," because I started to watch the first episode, and after the opening bit, it went straight to the high school, and I turned it off. I've completely lost interest in teenage drama on tv shows as it's always the same. Does it focus on that a lot, or is it at least different than the standard garbage? Teens in a show are fine. Teens being the centerpiece generally isn't.

The cast is mostly older. The parents of one of the teens at that high school are the central figures. It focuses A LOT on characters, which IMO a good show/story should. Essentially there's an incident with their daughter before/while the mist (tm) rolls in and it puts strain on their relationship, the particulars of which get more closely examined as the show goes on. Of the main cast, three are teens. Their daughter, their daughters best friend, and the other teen allegedly involved in the incident. All this is happening while their town is becoming a place of horrific nightmares lurking in the mist.

JAXN

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
 I wondered how the concept would be pulled off for a series, but so far I like what's being done. I'm looking forward to all hell breaking loose in the different locations

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
The mall has the most parallels to the supermarket in the movie, but fortunately without that bible woman. Meanwhile the most off-kilter woman is in the church, but does not induce nearly the level of distaste. Much more subtlety overall in this than the movie, which I guess a show allows for. Even down to what is lurking in the mist (tm). In the movie it was horrific monsters, but very real physical alien monsters. In this something entirely more supernatural seems to be going on. Never read the original King story.

Uhtceare

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
The novella's monsters are more like the movie: just animals that seem to have been let loose in our world. They aren't malicious, just hungry. One gets the vibe that the portal opened up in the middle of an alien jungle. Most of the evil is the result of the humans idiotic reaction to a bunch of animals.

The tv show sounds more like that space movie where they try to salvage a ship where the whole crew murdered each other after a hyperspace experiment. Anyone remember the name of that movie? Has Morpheus and the Anti-Christ/dinosaur guy?

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »
You're speaking of Event Horizon which was pitched to me in the most wonderfully imaginative way possible using a piece of paper folded in half and a pencil going through the paper to explain where the hell the ship went through was located. But yeah, it does have some of that flavor maybe, but possibly something more physical as well.

Feels like a haunted house, but the haunted part is on the outside of everything as opposed to the inside of one building.

-K-M-

• +6/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
Apparently this is going on Netflix soon. Once it does I'll give it a try

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:02:56 AM »
So glad that religious zealot kid got his last episode... or so it seems at least. He was easily the character I loathed the most.

Riv1

• +15/-828
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
yeah, he was actually TOO unlikeable. There was no quandary on siding with cray cray lady on locking him up to (seemingly) die.
He didnt have any redeeming qualities to speak of.

scourge

• +20/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 11:09:48 PM »
Holy shit, episode 8 takes a turn for the darker side of human nature in so many unexpected ways that have been building for so long.

Riv1

• +15/-828
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
Holy shit, episode 8 takes a turn for the darker side of human nature in so many unexpected ways that have been building for so long.
Does it?
Its been pretty down on human nature throughout, so thats saying something!
Haven't watched this week's but now i'll move it to the top of the list.

Riv1

• +15/-828
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Ooookay.
You were NOT exaggerating. That was pretty dark. :o