Herochat

Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread

Ditto

• +4/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2017, 05:43:27 AM »
The Pitch Perfect series is fucking great, guy.

Anna Kendrick?

herochat

• +96/-74
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »
No, I'm Wyntyr.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Ditto

• +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
No, I'm Wyntyr.

I blame the new layout for the confusion

NeoGreenLantern

• +43/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2017, 12:08:45 AM »
Apparently there was a sign saying "Korean Church of Asgard" in the background of a scene.  If anyone were to make a weird cult centering around Asgard, it would be Koreans.  Lots of weird cults with those people for some reason.

When you think about it, a church based around an actual dude who controls the weather and beats up sentient kill bots makes more sense than most religions.

Gree

• +36/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »
This movie pulled off something that Marvel has never real done in my opinion: it was FUN. Capital fucking F, FUN. Excellent movie. This movie actually made me do more than courtesy laugh, and the only other time I've done that with a superhero movie (and even a lot of straight up comedies) was the "I know him from work" part of the Thor trailer.

Logan is still easily my favorite superhero movie, but HOLY SHIT this movie was everything a Spider-Man movie should be.

I actually like Zendaya as the MJ character, but fuck my ass that reveal was the most forced thing in the fucking world. Like someone else said, it was EXACTLY the MCU version of that horrible Robin reveal.

And god, you guys. They made me like the Vulture. THE VULTURE, you guys.

This was amaZing.

Gree

• +36/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2017, 01:03:43 AM »
I thought it was pleasant to have a straight up fun, cherry film without any death

Master

• +32/-23
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2017, 07:32:30 AM »
Apparently there was a sign saying "Korean Church of Asgard" in the background of a scene.  If anyone were to make a weird cult centering around Asgard, it would be Koreans.  Lots of weird cults with those people for some reason.

When you think about it, a church based around an actual dude who controls the weather and beats up sentient kill bots makes more sense than most religions.

"And then our Lord smited the Leviathans with a huge ass bolt of lightning while screaming RAWWWWRRRRR!"

"Amen."
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Thanos6

• +7/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2017, 12:58:49 AM »
I can't help but wonder if the suit with too-many-options was sort of a parody of the Arkham games.
Truten forever!

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2017, 01:34:33 AM »
I can't help but wonder if the suit with too-many-options was sort of a parody of the Arkham games.

Doubtful.

scourge

• +19/-8
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2017, 08:23:53 AM »
I thought it was pleasant to have a straight up fun, cherry film without any death

...except for the Shocker... which to be fair I completely forgot about by the end of the movie and thought it was death free as well

NeoGreenLantern

• +43/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »
I feel like people getting completely obliterated happens a lot in the Marvel movies but off the top of my I remember only the first Shocker and the dude Yellowjacket killed. Did anyone else get killed like that in the MCU?

80sBaby

• +15/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »
Red Skull killed a bunch of Nazis. Frost giants got killed by the Destroyer.

Gree

• +36/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »

...except for the Shocker... which to be fair I completely forgot about by the end of the movie and thought it was death free as well

Also kind of a gag

ShadowFaggot

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »
So I finally saw this because I'm an idiot and I was surprised how really fucking good it was

The Good
- Tom Holland - Just really good.
- Casting in general - Stuff like Hannibal Buress as the gym teacher were little touches that made a big difference. Having Keaton was also great given his Batman/Birdman pedigree.
- The MCU - This was a huge plus. The leftover villain/alien tech angle meant that you didnt have to waste time/suspend disbelief by introducing some new magical/sci-fi concept. Ina  weird way it made the film feel more grounded even though its obviously not the real world or trying to be.
- New Stuff - From having Spidey running around with a suit with all kinds of powers to not having Flash as a physically overpowering bully/jock helped to make this feel like less of a retread of previous films.

The Bad
- The Final Vulture/Spidey confrontation - This felt a bit tired/going through the motions - partly because it called to mind the Harry/Norman stuff from the Raimi films.
- ...cant really think of much else. Maybe the mid-credits scene in prison - was a bit meh. Donald Glover could have been given more to do also I guess.

Other
- Best post credits scene since the first Iron Man.
- Been said before but having the mask emote with the eyes is a stroke of genius in terms of not having the main character tear it off every 5 minutes a la the Raimi films.

Have never been a big fan of any of the Spiderman films or the character in general really but this was much more fun than i was expecting even though i had seen all the good reviews.