Herochat

Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2017, 07:21:50 AM »
So what do you guys think is Toomes' reason for not revealing Parker's identity? I have two theories:

1) He was willing to give Parker a pass for saving Liz's life. Parker could have left him to burn, but instead, Peter saved him. Being somewhat honorable, he won't reveal Parker's secret ID now.

2) He plans to kill Parker himself once he gets free later. He doesn't want to robbed of his chance for revenge.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

80sBaby

• +18/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »
I think it's definitely the first one. Toomes isn't a psychopath. He could've killed Peter in their final fight but didn't.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 07:59:09 AM »
Yeah, I don't get the impression he has a personal beef with Peter now that he owes him his life and the life of his daughter.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't get the impression he has a personal beef with Peter now that he owes him his life and the life of his daughter.

Yeah, I lean toward #1 as well. He seemed to admire Peter's resilience and grit.  And being that Toomes ultimately justified his actions do being a family man, I can't see him being so petty as to seek revenge from prison.

Granted, if he felt that killing Peter would somehow allow him a chance for freedom and success for his family? He'd take it (i.e.: another villain makes him an offer).

Insane Titan

• +4/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
I would say a bit of both really, more 1 than 2 though. I think he did t reveal peters identity because he wanted to deal with Spider-Man personally, but not necessarily kill him...if that makes sense.

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
Saw it for the second time today, held up very well to a repeat viewing, still absolutely loved it. Although the MJ "reveal" felt even more forced and stupid when you were expecting it and I still didn't like Toomes figuring out his identity.

Also liked the little dig at Amazing Spider-Man via Flash's comment about the branzino not being fresh.

Cheers.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 06:05:10 PM »
Also liked the little dig at Amazing Spider-Man via Flash's comment about the branzino not being fresh.

I missed that one.  What was the dig?

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »

Just before Pete steals his car, Flash says to his date something along the lines of "sorry about dinner, but I know branzino and that branzino was NOT fresh" - I'm assuming this is a reference to the first Garfield film, as branzino is what Gwen's mum cooks for Peter when he meets her parents.

Cheers.

NeoGreenLantern

• +52/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
There was a recent interview I read where either the director or Kevin Feig, I can't remember which, said he didn't reveal Pete's identity because he feels like he owes him for saving his life. They went with that because they felt it made the character more complex then him just being straight up bad.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
If they ever had a brief Spidey-verse/Netflix interaction, I'd love to see Toomes at Kingpin's prison. Or Foggy representing Toomes in court.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »

Just before Pete steals his car, Flash says to his date something along the lines of "sorry about dinner, but I know branzino and that branzino was NOT fresh" - I'm assuming this is a reference to the first Garfield film, as branzino is what Gwen's mum cooks for Peter when he meets her parents.

Cheers.

Wow.  How many times did you watch Amazing Spider-Man?

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
Wow.  How many times did you watch Amazing Spider-Man?

By coincidence I watched it the day after I saw Homecoming the first time as it had just come on to (UK) Netflix and came up in my recommended list, I watched it as I don't think I've seen it since it first started being shown on TV years ago. They also make a really weirdly big deal of the meal being branzino so it was kind of stuck in my memory.

Cheers.

80sBaby

• +18/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »
The MJ reveal was forced but I like Michelle so I'll allow it.

The "8 years later" bothers me more.

NeoGreenLantern

• +52/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
Why?

80sBaby

• +18/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
Because up until then, the timeline synced up with real time (give or take a few months.) This was a retcon.