Herochat

Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread

DarthAlani

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 01:34:23 AM »
By far my favorite Spider-man film. Vulture was a stand out villain IMO and I'm glad he survived the film.  Loved the Aunt May twist at the end.

Ditto

• +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 01:59:38 AM »
There was so much to like about this movie. I liked every single character. I liked vulture finding out who he was because Liz wouldn't shut up. Loved all the action, the humor was never forced, and all of the Easter eggs were amazing.

The scene where he finds out vulture is liz's dad was so much better than the goblin / spidey dinner, imo. This flick was solidly above the first movie to me. I'll need to rewatch the second before I make up my mind about that.

Overall this just makes me sad that marvel doesn't have all their characters.

Also he needs to stop wearing his suit inside the house. Or at least learn to close doors or check for people.

altoon

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 06:42:02 AM »
the problem is he needs to do a better job of checking for ppl.  And leave you backpack somewhere people can't get in not by a garbage dumpster in the alley. Another thing I remember hearing a rumor that the Vulture was Zendaya's characters dad well played if Marvel actually put that out there themselves.

NeoGreenLantern

• +43/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
I think Tom Holland confirmed he would have his normal suit in Infinity War.  It makes sense as he took it back at the end of this movie as opposed to the "Iron spider" look.

It might not be in infinity war but maybe the next one. Seems like a waste to introduce it and then not use it against Thanos.

NeoGreenLantern

• +43/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
It was also nice to see Pepper and Tony together.

Eclipse

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
Saw this last night and, yes, it really damn good. I was honestly shocked. I had been growing bored with MCU films and this reawakened by interest. I also want to say that I LOVED Vulture as a villian. His backstory actually made me give a damn about him (not even Loki managed that), and his 'powers' were based on his own skill and ingenuity and not magic or a freak accident. I also liked how he took advantage of two different opportunities to build two successful businesses.

NeoGreenLantern

• +43/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
They keep not killing villains lately. I hope this is leading to Masters of Evil/Thunderbolts

NeoGreenLantern

• +43/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »
Also, this movie did a great job of using multiple villains. Making Shocker and Tinkerer support characters for The Vulture instead of trying to cram a whole fucking backstory for  them worked perfectly. Spider-Man has so many second and third tier villains that can easily be used as support antagonist.

Master

• +32/-23
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
Just saw the film today. Solid 8 out of 10. I like having a rookie Spider-Man without going through the origin story. Still, a MENTION of Uncle Ben would've been nice.

Great villain. Keaton really nailed this version of the Vulture. The family man who feels that he is just robbing from the rich to profit him and his crew. He's definitely evil, but it's a practical evil. And he was successful too for a span of 8 years before Spider-Man brought him down.

And that's the best part of the film. MCU Phase 1 started us out with personal stories for each hero... and then escalated shit (in a good way) with Avengers. But then there was no going back. Iron Man 3 was the exception where one of the Avengers squad had a film that stepped back from "the world will end", but we know Stark will just be in global threat movies following that. All of the movies became BIG PICTURE events. Traveling the world to battle threats to nations.

Antman was away from that for his intro, but now he's part of the Avengers too.

Spidey intentionally chooses to stay street level. And hey, if not for him, Toombs might've sold weapons for years. Hell, he would have his hands on a plane full of Stark tech, alien tech, and some of Thor's shit. Spidey is there to protect everyday people from everyday problems along with occasional supervillains.

I love me some Marvel Netflix for the same reason. Cap and Iron Man deal with big picture stuff. They save the world. Daredevil and Spidey deal with the little picture. They make the world a nicer place.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Master

• +32/-23
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 07:07:14 PM »
Complaints:

- Too many people knowing his ID. Stark and Happy? Ok. But also Ned, Toombs, and Aunt May? Each alone would be fine... but too many altogether.

- Ned needs to die. He's fun and all, but Spidey having a readily available friend to cheer him up and help him deal with shit doesn't feel Spider-Man to me. Easy, easy leverage for bad guys to use against him. Shocker knows about Ned for fuck's sake, and while Toombs is keeping quiet about Parker's ID, what's to keep Shocker from spilling the beans in prison: Spidey gets help from a fat kid at a high school! Kidnap him to get to Spidey!

- I know Spidey is a rookie... and just 15. But why did he keep leaving his backpacks in places they could be easily found/stolen? Rooftops, bro. High places where people can't reach! It almost seems like his ID is secret by luck at this point. He changes in areas where people could easily walk in. CONSTANTLY.

- No Spider-sense? They better change this shit.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

herochat

• +96/-74
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 11:48:19 PM »
This movie pulled off something that Marvel has never real done in my opinion: it was FUN. Capital fucking F, FUN. Excellent movie. This movie actually made me do more than courtesy laugh, and the only other time I've done that with a superhero movie (and even a lot of straight up comedies) was the "I know him from work" part of the Thor trailer.

Logan is still easily my favorite superhero movie, but HOLY SHIT this movie was everything a Spider-Man movie should be.

I actually like Zendaya as the MJ character, but fuck my ass that reveal was the most forced thing in the fucking world. Like someone else said, it was EXACTLY the MCU version of that horrible Robin reveal.

And god, you guys. They made me like the Vulture. THE VULTURE, you guys.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

80sBaby

• +15/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 11:49:46 PM »
Saw it Friday and liked it a lot!

Not gonna repeat what others have said but I do want to talk about some things I noticed. Starting with the lack of web slinging. My bf talked about this in 1995. He's from Queens and so always thought the idea of Spidey swinging around there was ridiculous. This was an accurate showing of how he'd get around. Plus it separates this version from the others. They even have him a fear of heights, which makes sense. Until he goes to work at the Bugle, he's not in Manhattan swinging from skyscrapers. We're building towards that.

Also, I like them showing how boring a day in the life of Spider-Man would be. Crime doesn't happen as often in real life as it does comics. And heroes trying to stop folks from getting into their own car probably happens a lot lol.

herochat

• +96/-74
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 12:01:10 AM »
His faceplants on the concrete had me rolling. Tom Holland is adorable.

I like that they really paid attention to the details too. Like the cool talon attachments on Vulture's feet, the bomber jacket, and the oxygen mask. Fuck, this movie was great
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 01:56:57 AM »
Keaton owned this role, he made Vulture awesome, which I didn't believe to be possible. Just the right amount of character understanding and growth, but carried an edge to him without being sympathetic.

Holland really played Spiderman well. His character defining move to leave Liz at the dance and turn down Stark's invite to join the big leagues showed that grit Toomes mentioned. I'm looking forward to where he'll grow and go from here.

Ned stole every scene he was in.

Bokeem Woodbine continued his career trend of being, "that guy" in movies.

MJ was such a horrible disappointment. Not the fault of the actress but the character was written and acted more like a girl in elementary school - picking on Park and Ned. She also looked maybe 12.

Did we need to make Flash an Aryan guy? He also came across as more of a douche than a bully. No one took him seriously. I understand he can't be a threat to Peter because this is post power-up, still.

Marissa Tomei's Aunt May is a delight. Rarely do I feel modernizing stories in such a way is needed, but May being a hot middle-age mom does so much to distinguish the role from Sally Field's and Rosemary Harris' versions.

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +48/-15
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 03:16:32 AM »
Saw it today. It was fucking GREAT. I knew going in that Zendaya was cast as "MJ", but I was thrown off by Liz being included (and black...and eventually revealed as Vulture's daughter). The MJ reveal was counter-balanced by the GREAT "reveal" at the end. Those are the only 2 knocks I had, though that's really more due to my knowledge of the source material. A casual fan won't care and in that case, they're not necessarily dings.

Iverall great; easy 8/10.