Herochat

Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread

Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
SPOILERS FOLLOW OBVIOUSLY!

Ben Reilly/Iron Spider mash-up was hnnnnsk. Actually the mirroring in that whole scene with the end of Iron Man 1 was perfect. Stark went in front of a packed media crowd and revealed his identity to the world, Peter walked away from it to stick to the "friendly neighbourhood" - nailed it Marvel.

How many easter egg characters were there? The Scorpion, the Prowler, any others?

Opening theme tune was a great surprise. Whole soundtrack was really good.

Three complaints, mostly very minor:
- "MJ" reveal was stupid and I can see it really pissing off the hardcore Spider-fans.
- lack of a "presence" of Uncle Ben was a bit much, no need for the whole story again but it would have been nice for a few more nods. There is one off-hand implied mention about Aunt May going through a lot etc but that was it.
- no spider sense, hopefully they'll bring it in later because it is arguably his defining power
- villain finding out his secret identity, unnecessary. They should save that for later and have it as a huge WTF moment with an Osborn or whatever. I actually like that Aunt May finds out though, gives us a completely different dynamic to work with going forward, we've had enough of the having to hide it from her thing with the other films

Overall it's right the fuck up there with the best in the MCU I think. It had that kind of magical feel about it, a bit like the first Avengers where you just find yourself with a big goofy smile plastered over your face from the first minute, a fun factor which helps you overlook the occasional flaw. Holland is easily the definitive Spider-Man, nails the Parker stuff and much better at the Spider-Man annoying/quipping style than Maguire or Garfield.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:17:58 PM by Liam Gallaghers Unibrow »

LiquidSailor

• +48/-149
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming SPOILERS discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:39:09 PM »
What was the MJ reveal?

DIGUSTING

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »
What was the MJ reveal?

There's a character in the film called Michelle (she's in one of the trailers, when Peter says they should probably stop staring before it gets creepy and she says "too late, you guys are losers" - that's her). Right near the end of the film she out of the blue says that her friends call her MJ, with the obvious implication that she'll be our new take on Mary Jane.

She's absolutely nothing like the source material so it will annoy the shit out of the hardcore element (apparently the guy playing Flash in this has received death threats for not being like the "real" Flash and he's relatively minor).

Cheers.

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
ah, so Mary Jane is not a Mary

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »
Just got back.

The Good:

Tom Holland is Spider-Man.  He captures the nerdiness of Peter and his banter as Spidey is never annoying.  They also got his shit social life down.

Peter is actually a genius in this as opposed to just really smart.  This is the first time movie Spider-Man makes his own web fluid and he was smart enough to figure out hybrid alien tech.  I was afraid he was going to rely on Tony for science stuff, but that wasn't the case.

The action is solid.  They have really stepped up their game when it comes to Spider-Man's powers.  In the past, he would sometimes look like a CGI doll but here, it's pretty seamless.

Keaton was great as blue collar Vulture.  He made sense as a bad guy who is just doing what he's doing for his family.  He never comes off as too super villainy while at the same time, he could be intimidating as hell.  Anyone catch the "Bat Symbol" when he flew past the moon?

I liked how Happy kept getting more and more annoyed with Peter.  I didn't expect him to be the babysitter.

Hot Aunt May is likeable.

I didn't think I would, but I liked Flash.  When I read that he would be an intellectual rival to Peter, I expected Nerd-Bully.  He was still very much a douchey rich kid who always gives Peter shit.  I liked that he kept calling him Penis Parker.

Tons of easter eggs too:  there was the half-mask/half-face imagery when Peter looked into his reflection which they've never pulled off before, lots of references to Ultron and stuff, they parodied Ferris Bueller and Breakfast Club, and again Vulture creating the Bat-Symbol.

I'm looking forward to Nacho being Scorpion.

The Bad:

I was very meh about Vulture being Liz's dad.  The Spidey movies always have to make the villain somehow related to Peter.  It got old by Spider-Man 3.  I REAAALLLY hope they don't turn Liz into a super villain.

Mj is a stupid idea.  Her name is Michelle Jane?  The character is nothing like MJ and contributed nothing to the plot.

I know Spidey is supposed to be newbie and everything, but I wanted to see him bring down the villains in the end.  He pretty much lucked out against Vulture and he needed Ned's help against Shocker 2.  Because of that, I didn't buy Tony being proud enough of Peter to make him an Avenger.

The Shuruku Demon

• +14/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
It did surprise me that Peter never scored a genuine win over the Vulture after kind of "losing" to him three times. This Spider-Man was very green and goof-prone compared to previous portrayals. Not that that bothered me too much (aside from the fact that he couldn't rip his way out of a parachute). I guess it's more realistic, given his lack of experience and training. Hopefully we'll see him gain in confidence and skill in the follow-up/s.

Wasn't particularly bothered by the MJ reveal either. As it happens, I thought that actress was the standout member of Peter's high school support cast (Ned was good too), and more interesting as a possible romantic interest than the girl who played Liz Allan. It's obviously not remotely faithful to the source material (aside from how different the character is, Mary Jane never actually went to Peter's high school or college in the 616 canon), but then this film deviated from the source material in many ways.

I was a bit bothered by the new "Flash". There's something about the dynamic of the shy bookworm being bullied by the popular jock which is central to Peter's high school experience, and while this Flash was antagonistic towards Peter, it didn't feel like the same dynamic at all. He was more like another nerd than a jock.

Also not that keen on the fact that Peter is reliant on Stark tech in order to have a decent Spidey suit. I don't know why this should bother me if I don't mind Mary Jane being changed so much, but I always liked the fact that 616 Spidey was an independent "rogue" hero for a long time, without official backing or approval. And while he was that for a while in this continuity, he looked like a joke until Tony Stark gave him something decent to wear. Not mention that the Stark suit being his default suit kind of makes him feel like a Stark employee.

As far as easter eggs go, I don't recall Hobie Brown/The Prowler being in there, but you had Bokeem Woodbine as Herman Schultz/The Shocker, Michael Chernus as Phineas Mason/the Tinkerer, and Donald Glover as Aaron Davis, the comicbook uncle of Mile Morales. You also had a fairly blatant nod to the famous Master Planner rubble lifting scene in ASM #33.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
Oh yeah, Hobbie Brown was supposed to be in the movie.  I wonder what happened there?

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »
Hobie Brown wasn't in it, but Aaron Davis (Miles Morales's uncle) was/is the Ultimate Universe Prowler. Spider-Man's HUD lists "the Prowler" as one of his known aliases at one point.

Cheers.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »
Ah.  Why did they change Prowler's name?

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Better shots of the new suit Stark offers Peter at the end:

Definitely more Ben Reilly or even a bit of Superior Spidey than the Iron Spider design in there I think. Love it, hope he wears it at some point in Infinity War.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:39:11 PM by Liam Gallaghers Unibrow »

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »
Also the moment this started playing was great:
https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/865664095084662785

Cheers.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »
Better shots of the new suit Stark offers Peter at the end:

Definitely more Ben Reilly or even a bit of Superior Spidey than the Iron Spider design in there I think. Love it, hope he wears it at some point in Infinity War.

Cheers.

It's cool for the few seconds it's on screen, but I wouldn't want to see an entire movie with it.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:06 PM »
I'm guessing he might suit up in it for Avengers but be back in the classic look for his solo movies.

This movie was great. Probably my favorite Spider-Man movie. Only changes that bothered me was the lack of spider sense and the dumb MJ reveal at the end. It reminded me of the dumb Robin reveal at the end of DKR

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »
I think Tom Holland confirmed he would have his normal suit in Infinity War.  It makes sense as he took it back at the end of this movie as opposed to the "Iron spider" look.

altoon

• +6/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 12:44:12 AM »
Really liked the Vulture and didn't mind him finding out who Peter really was.  Also loved the end credit scene troll.