Herochat

When was the first time you felt nothing could get worse?

Hulk Victorious

• +1/-189
    • View Profile
When was the first time you felt nothing could get worse?
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
Lets face it. Currently most Marvel titles aren't what they used to be. It feels like if nothing could get worse. Then it hit me. We all thought that before, several times. So, which was the first time you thought things couldn't get worse for a title?
The earliest I remember for me was the ending phase for Bruce Jones on Hulk.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
Re: When was the first time you felt nothing could get worse?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
I think once "One More Day" happened, I knew that authors were allowed to
fanfiction their bullshit into whatever they wanted, and no editors would ever
question or force them to change it.

Its only been more prevalent since then.

Strange

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
Comics in general are fanfics. Always been kind of a retarded insult. Anyway, OMD's writer did not want to write it. It was the editors that wanted it written. Most comics from the big two aren't really written by a single person anymore. It's a collective. The writer comes up with some ideas and an outline and run it by multiple editors and other writers on other titles and they all essentially help write the series.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »
Comics in general are fanfics. Always been kind of a retarded insult.

Not at all. Even huge fans of character writers can at times, be humble with how they represent
them, whereas you get idiots like Jeph Loeb and Jim Starlin who will literally create characters
to not only shit on everyone else, but also retcon any "BAD" showings they may have had.

Although admittedly, Jim is infinitely worse than Loeb, but they're both guilty of the same thing.

Most comics from the big two aren't really written by a single person anymore. It's a collective. The writer comes up with some ideas and an outline and run it by multiple editors and other writers on other titles and they all essentially help write the series.

I don't think that's true. I doubt there is that much of a collective input on stand-alone series or minis, or even some of the more popular
titles like Ms. Marvel.

For Avengers or X-Men, yeah, absolutely. Although it still amazes me that the shit that sees print is completely fine with everyone.

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »
Heroes Reborn.

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »

Not at all. Even huge fans of character writers can at times, be humble with how they represent
them, whereas you get idiots like Jeph Loeb and Jim Starlin who will literally create characters
to not only shit on everyone else, but also retcon any "BAD" showings they may have had.

Although admittedly, Jim is infinitely worse than Loeb, but they're both guilty of the same thing.

Most comics from the big two aren't really written by a single person anymore. It's a collective. The writer comes up with some ideas and an outline and run it by multiple editors and other writers on other titles and they all essentially help write the series.

I don't think that's true. I doubt there is that much of a collective input on stand-alone series or minis, or even some of the more popular
titles like Ms. Marvel.

For Avengers or X-Men, yeah, absolutely. Although it still amazes me that the shit that sees print is completely fine with everyone.
Starlin at least has something to say, even if he's beat that horse to death at this point. Thematics>>>battle board nonsense.

Strange

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »

Although admittedly, Jim is infinitely worse than Loeb, but they're both guilty of the same thing..

No, you don't understand. Most of what we read from the big two is fan fiction. People that use it as an insult just don't understand the meaning.

I don't think that is true

It doesn't matter what you think, it is how it is done now. Writers have openly discussed the process and JMS flat out said he didn't want to write OMD.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:29:28 PM »
Starlin at least has something to say, even if he's beat that horse to death at this point. Thematics>>>battle board nonsense.

No he doesn't have a pot to piss in.

He constantly undoes anything that somehow makes defeats from previous stories either "clones" or some other bullshit "master plan"
that Thanos had concocted prior to.

For god's sake, he actually undid his defeat from Infinity Guantlet, which he himself wrote.

No, you don't understand. Most of what we read from the big two is fan fiction. People that use it as an insult just don't understand the meaning.

I don't think that's true in most cases. I'm pretty sure when people use the term, they imply that its when the writer takes a pet character and
mary sue's them a bit, or completely rewrites existing pre-established (and having long existed) canon.

It doesn't matter what you think, it is how it is done now. Writers have openly discussed the process and JMS flat out said he didn't want to write OMD.

Well I suppose both parties are pretty bad at their jobs then aren't they.

"So any time someone acts out of character, we have to assume it's because of some idiot [writer] who couldn't take 1 minute to read their Marvel Handbook
and the A-hole [editor] who let them through."

I *think* Slott said this. Even if he didn't, whoever said it has a point.

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »

No he doesn't have a pot to piss in.

He constantly undoes anything that somehow makes defeats from previous stories either "clones" or some other bullshit "master plan"
that Thanos had concocted prior to.

For god's sake, he actually undid his defeat from Infinity Guantlet, which he himself wrote.

I don't think that's true in most cases. I'm pretty sure when people use the term, they imply that its when the writer takes a pet character and
mary sue's them a bit, or completely rewrites existing pre-established (and having long existed) canon.

Well I suppose both parties are pretty bad at their jobs then aren't they.

"So any time someone acts out of character, we have to assume it's because of some idiot [writer] who couldn't take 1 minute to read their Marvel Handbook
and the A-hole [editor] who let them through."

I *think* Slott said this. Even if he didn't, whoever said it has a point.
So.. Battle board nonsense, exclusively? Ok.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »

So it went over your head? Got it. Don't worry Jelly, I won't tell anyone.

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 10:48:26 PM »

So it went over your head? Got it. Don't worry Jelly, I won't tell anyone.
Nope I accurately described your lack of a valid point in response to my post: Battle board nonsense. Exclusively.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 11:39:52 PM »
Can I get someone who doesn't have a missing chromosome to respond please?

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »
Can I get someone who doesn't have a missing chromosome to respond please?
Lol, I have far more genetic complexity than you, first of all..so.. No. You have no place insulting your incest riddled background like that, learn some respect son. Your argument is exclusively Battle board nonsense which is irrelevant to the point I raised period. Figures that's all you can grasp about Starlin. My point: Thematics>>Battleboard nonsense. I get it, you don't know the meaning of the term. Its Ok kid.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 11:49:12 PM »

Yeah, can I get someone who doesn't sound like this guy?

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 11:52:29 PM »

Yeah, can I get someone who doesn't sound like this guy?
So.. You're an illiterate fool who can't grasp the meaning of comic book stories you're whining about for Battle board fanboy nonsense AND you're too much of a coward to simply ask the meaning of terms far beyond your reading comprehension? Concession accepted, dweeb. 😎