Herochat

Flip-flopping: Does it deserve its bad rap?

Not BAMF

• +5/-9
    • View Profile
Flip-flopping: Does it deserve its bad rap?
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
So sometimes it seems like one of the worst accusations you can levy at a politician is flip-flopping. "He used to believe THIS, but now he believes THAT! Can you believe this guy?"

But is flip-flopping always a bad thing?

I mean, there are obviously degrees. If there is video of a politician saying (A) 12 months ago, then (B) 6 months ago, then (A) 3 months ago, and then (B) again last night... that's bad. That's pandering to your audience and saying whatever people want to hear. I think we can all agree that guy's a schmuck.

But if someone said (A) 5 years ago, but last year started saying (B), why is that NECESSARILY bad? Couldn't a guy have developed a more informed opinion over time and with research? Could new details or situations come to light that changed his stance? Why is that "flip-flopping"?

Would we really rather have someone whose rigid opinion is unchangeable? Someone who is so in love with confirmation bias, that he would never alter his course? Isn't that far, far worse?

What sayeth the learned masses of HC?

Uhtceare

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Flip-flopping: Does it deserve its bad rap?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
 In absolute terms, no flip-flopping isn't bad. It just means you are open-minded about the acquisition of new facts. However, the actual flip-flopping that typically gets complained about has a context. That context is usually something like big pharma donating to a campaign, the politician then changing to a pro-big-pharma position on some issue. The context usually makes the flip-flopping a mercenary act, and not simply a person's position evolving as he gains new facts.

XerxesTWD

• +44/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »
Changing your mind is a good thing. Saying whatever comes to mind where you are at the time is flip-flopping. Trump did that more than any two major politicians combined during the past 5 years. In the age of information politicians absolutely need to be taken to task for this stuff. If your opinion has changed, it's time to elaborate.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
I think it depends on who, what, and why.  If a politician flip flops multiple times, especially in light of public opinion, they deserve to be mocked.  If they changed their minds on issues every now and then after careful consideration, that's not an issue.

Mightily Oats

• +71/-574
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 03:33:23 AM »
In absolute terms, no flip-flopping isn't bad. It just means you are open-minded about the acquisition of new facts. However, the actual flip-flopping that typically gets complained about has a context. That context is usually something like big pharma donating to a campaign, the politician then changing to a pro-big-pharma position on some issue. The context usually makes the flip-flopping a mercenary act, and not simply a person's position evolving as he gains new facts.
^^^^

NeoGreenLantern

• +52/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »
Flip flops are the worst. Get some real shoes or sandals.

Regar

• +22/-162
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »
Depends on if they changed their minds for political reasons or if they actually changed their minds because they thought about the situation.

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
I thought this was going to be about flopping in sports.

I'm going with no.  As long as it's not due to being bribed as opposed to having actual facts to change their minds I'm fine with it.  I'm like the Dakota pipeline already had a leak.  There was a larger one prior to this from another pipeline.  Nationwide there are valid concerns for the oil getting into the water.  West Virginia had a big chemical spill a couple of years back.
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/