Herochat

How to make the best tuna salad?

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
How to make the best tuna salad?
« on: June 27, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »

I'm guessing this isn't a unique experience, but I've had tuna salad at restaurants that blows away anything I've made at home, so as a sort of long term shoot for the stars goal, I'm wondering how to make the perfect tuna salad.

Took my game to the next level with something I read online. When you drain the can, don't just keep the lid in place and squeeze out the excess liquid, but actually put the tuna in a colander and wash it, throughly AF. You want that shit clean, and then you want it dry, as dry as you can get it before moving to the next step. I did this, and it was noticeably better. So, if like me, you feel like there's room for improvement in your tuna salad, do this.

Some major questions: which type of tuna to use? I've been using albacore packed in water.
What to add? Yesterday: diced celery, diced onion (about a third as much as I did celery), diced grapes (just a bit, probably would have done granny smith apples had I had any), salt & pepper, mayo obviously (light is what we had, I probably would have bought the full fat), a little onion powder, such a small amount of sweet relish that it almost wasn't worth it, a hint of parsley flakes, a cap full of apple cider vinegar--and it was probably the best tuna I've ever made. I think the washing was the key part.

Future ingredient goals: dijon mustard, honey, soy sauce, all interested in trying them out--probably dijon and honey together and soy sauce on a separate occasion. Lemon juice has been really nice in the past, as it is with just about all fruits de mer.

Think I'm going to grill a tuna steak for dinner. If you have any tips on how to take that to the next level, I'm also open, but more interested in keeping this discussion to tuna salad.

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
Re: How to make the best tuna salad?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »
You, uh, order tuna salad at restaurants?

Why does Kroll do that with his lips when he says "tuna." Fucking gross.

I'm not a fan of sweet things in tuna, so no grapes for me, but the Dijon mustard and soy sauce you mentioned are pretty good. Try both of those (just a little soy) with some rice vinegar(actually, the cider vinegar you already used is fine too), and a spoonful of chili garlic sauce (aka sambel olek).  You could also try a little lemon in place of the vinegar.

Onions are the devil, and celery must be cooked. What the hell are they doing in your tuna? If you want something crunchy, try walnuts.

Also, you're missing dill. Dill is the key to all things fish.  As for other seasonings, pepper is a good call, but try celery salt in place of table salt.

Also, did I just get trolled? I kinda feel like it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
Tuna, hard boiled eggs, onions, celery, soy sauce, finely diced pickles because relish is for faggots, salt, pepper, old bay seasoning amd mayonaise.

Put some grapes in your tuna and I'll fucking end your whole shit Scourge.

I love you but sometimes......godammit.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
What the fuck is even happening in this thread?

herochat

• +101/-80
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
Yeah I'm smiting Scourge like his name was Dlb for this horseshit
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:52:38 PM »
Fuck it, I stand by my interest in tuna salad, and enjoy reading the very passionate responses to different ingredients. Also, that tuna steak I grilled, easily the best piece of fish I ever cooked.

Hamburglar

• +2413/-54
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »
So my method is opening up the can, draining the water into a cup, tossing the digusting tuna in the trash and forcing scourge to buttchug the tuna juice.

FUCKING DIGUSTING

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »
My sphincter just automatically tightened

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »
That won't stop him.

Nothing will. :'(

Rynox

• +14/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:02:29 PM »

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »
Bullshit asshole

Jessie

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
Jessie's tuna salad:

1) Use good tuna.  Trader Joe's in olive oil at minimum. This is my preferred brand:

I drain the oil, but not fully.  Lots of flavor in there

2) Use a good mayo.  I use Sir Kensington's or Woodstock's.  Just enough to get the consistency I prefer.  Also add in coleman's mustard powder, finely chopped shallots, fennel bulb, fresh dil and white pepper.  Fennel instead of celery.  And for christ sake, no carrots, raisins, grapes, etc.

Spoon onto crusty bread.  Add thick slice of tomato and a slice of cheese - i prefer swiss or provolone.  Ad a little seasoned salt on top, broil until the cheese just starts to bubble

Hamburglar

• +2413/-54
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »
Real talk: tuna in water is fucking trash. Jessie gets it.

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:05 AM »
But it's so easy to drain that water?

Hamburglar

• +2413/-54
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile