Herochat

Understated/Underrated Comics Moments

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Understated/Underrated Comics Moments
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
I was re-reading Thanos Quest the other day and I genuinely liked the Thanos/Gardener conversation.

Thanos beams in, they talk pleasantly, make chit chat about the garden, Thanos admits that even though he loves Death he finds the garden beautiful and that he'd rather there not be a conflict over the Time Gem, and seems genuinely saddened that it came to it afterwards.

I dunno, I just liked that

Red Exodus

• +7/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
Re: Understated/Underrated Comics Moments
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:32:10 AM »
I still think that X-Factor (can't remember the issue number), where the whole team had to speak
to a psychologist was a fan-fucking-tastic issue. It expanded upon every single character's
personality, and really gave them so much goddamn depth. That every single one of them was
flawed in ways that super-heroes didn't really express. Guido being in constant pain but uses
humor to mask it, Rahne's attachment issues, Polaris having body image issues, Havok being
in his brother's shadow and constantly trying to better himself, Quicksilver hating everyone
because they're all too slow, and Jaime's lonliness issues.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:52:42 AM »
That issue is probably the most famous issue of X-Factor (not there are many famous X-Factor stories to begin with).  The reveal that it was Leonard Samson they were talking to was also a nice touch.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:14:09 AM »
For me, Spider-Man #17 remins one of my favorite Spidey stories and one of my favorite comic stories period and I think it's overlooked because it's wedged between Todd McFarlane's last issue and Erik Larsen's Revenge of the Sinister Six storyline.

In the issue, Spider-Man dies and goes to Death's Realm to face Thanos.  It explores the question of whether or not heroism is futile since every one dies eventually anyway.  Ann Nocentti was the writer and I always thought she was an underrated writer.

herochat

• +103/-80
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:11 AM »
Is that the one where he thought he had died but it was like BBQ sauce or something in his costume instead of blood? If so, I always really liked that one
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Regar

• +22/-162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
The Amazing Spider-Man 617 and 625

Most heartbreaking story I have ever read in comics ....... makes the Rhino more interesting than almost any other "villain" in marvel.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man 617 and 625

Most heartbreaking story I have ever read in comics ....... makes the Rhino more interesting than almost any other "villain" in marvel.

YES!

Was just thinking of this actually. Best two issue story I think I've ever read.

Tjackflash

• +1/-35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:07:44 PM »
That issue is probably the most famous issue of X-Factor (not there are many famous X-Factor stories to begin with).  The reveal that it was Leonard Samson they were talking to was also a nice touch.

Peter David wrote that and also the issues of Incredible Hulk where Doc Samson identified Banner and his various transformations as Multiple Personality Disorder.
     He is great at thinking through the years or even decades of stories and figuring out the connecting threads and putting that into a believable character.
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
Is that the one where he thought he had died but it was like BBQ sauce or something in his costume instead of blood? If so, I always really liked that one

Yup.

herochat

• +103/-80
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
Okay, yeah that one was great

herochat

• +103/-80
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »
Interesting art, too. Who was the artist on that?

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
Interesting art, too. Who was the artist on that?

Rick Leonardi.  The guy did the Spidey 2099 series too.

herochat

• +103/-80
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 08:40:06 PM »
Applause

Thanos6

• +12/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »
QUASAR #18, one issue just before the big "Cosmos In Collision" story that is also severely underrated. It's one of those Twilight Zone type stories; Quasar is living a completely normal life with his family in a completely normal town, never having been a superhero at all.  Until he runs into a small child who claims to be a cosmic god who helps create superheroes...
Truten forever!

Not BAMF

• +6/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
I'm trying to find images, but my work computer is being extremely temperamental.

Anyway, what I'm thinking of is the scene in Batman: Dark Victory where Alfred finds Dick Grayson in the Waynes' master bedroom and it is overlayed with a time he found a young Bruce there. Both children just became orphaned, and Alfred finds the words to say what Dick needs to hear when he wasn't able to for Bruce.

Ah, here it is: