Herochat

Has it ever been outright stated that Marvel magic is all based on Nordic magic?

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
British magic (Merlyn, Morgan Le Fey) predates Saxon/Germanic influence on Britain, and it plays a fairly large role in the Marvel Universe.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
I always thought Hermetic/Crowley stuff was the biggest influence. It was a big influence on 30's pulp, and most of the guys who created the 60's comics were heavily influenced by 30's pulp. If that's changed, it's a recent thing.

Well that and Tibetan Buddhism. Doc Savage the Shadow, Green Lama, Dr Strange/The Ancient One, etc.

Marvel="Man is a Marvel"- the Kybalion, Hermetic Greaco-Egyptian diluted African cosmology.  I highly suspect that Stan Lee was a Mason if you pay attention to his moral themes in his works, and Kirby absolutely referenced occult teachings/real world fringe conspiracy "theories"like Ancient Astronauts, Reptilans, Nazi fringe offshoot groups (decades before History channel made it mainstream for people to mock it  via Revelation of the Method) throughout his work.

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
In MI-13 it is revealed England is the source of magic

Canada is the source of evil dark magic

Lmaoooo. Typical
British magic (Merlyn, Morgan Le Fey) predates Saxon/Germanic influence on Britain, and it plays a fairly large role in the Marvel Universe.

All Celtic magical cosmology is astrotheological frameworks derived from African migrants to Iberia who later went north to escape the Ice Age. The celestial  Serpent imagary is derived from the Twa who migrated to the North. The reason Celtics ( Scots Irish) weren't considered purely white by the Aryan Anglo Saxons racial caste system in Europe is because their mixed with Egyptian migrants who arrived millennia ago. Sean Connery himself commentee that he was decended from Egptians(hence him taking the role of Ramirez in Highlander) and that Egyptian garb was the basis of the Kilt.

Stonehenge is a recreation of megalithic astrotheological calenders and temple originating in The African interior which migrated along with the original African migrants to Europe and Asia.

Read "Ancient and Modern Britons":, and if you have a problem, please, please cry more. King Arthur and the Arthurian mythos is another localized version of the Asarian Drama. Arthur=Asar/Heru.  Merlin=Tehuti, Morgana=Nebhet, etc.

For that matter, Odin is blatantly the a Germanic corruption of Asar+Tehuti, Thor=Herukhuti, Balder Heru the younger/Asar, etc. The Romans made it clear. Het-Heru(APHRO-dite/Venus) became HaTHOR  to the Greco-Egyptian invaders/Romans,  who equated Hercules with Thor. Hercules= the Greek Heru, etc. Oh btw Heru= the source of the term Hero. What was Heru's main title? The AVENGER.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:05:35 PM by Panthergod »

Riv1

• +14/-816
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
I always thought Hermetic/Crowley stuff was the biggest influence. It was a big influence on 30's pulp, and most of the guys who created the 60's comics were heavily influenced by 30's pulp. If that's changed, it's a recent thing.
Ooh, good catch/observation.

herochat

• +96/-74
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
Read "Ancient and Modern Britons"

Will do. Thank you!

Also, I should clarify that my original question was based around the graphical depictions or word balloons of magic/magic users. It seems that a large portion of the time runic characters are used to depict key or trigger words regardless of the magic/magic user's stated origin/tradition. For example, say a Tibetan mystic popping off a protection spell using an Elhaz rune as part of the trigger word in the speech bubble.

But like I said, that could just be chalked up to runic magic being easier to represent artistically rather than any actual intent on the part of the creators.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Riv1

• +14/-816
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
You likely nailed it with ease of depiction.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
In MI-13 it is revealed England is the source of magic

"Every" form of magic?

If so I call bullshit.

Canada is the source of evil dark magic

Again, if you mean "all" forms, I call bullshit.

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
You likely nailed it with ease of depiction.

That and artistic laziness.

-K-M-

• +6/-4
    • View Profile
"Every" form of magic?

If so I call bullshit.

Again, if you mean "all" forms, I call bullshit.

Britain

* That's why the Skrulls attacked Avalon to take the planets magic

Canada

*That's why Llan used Canada to enter our realm
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:56:12 PM by -K-M- »

Riv1

• +14/-816
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
Both those examples seem ambiguous.
Some guy thinks and Talisman theorizes.
Canada certainly seems to be -a- nexus, and Britain has magic up the ass going back to pre history, but so do many places at Marvel (in tegards to bad things happen/old magic).

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
The whole idea of "Britain is the ONLY source of magic" has never been revisited outside of this particular storyline so I tend not to pay it much mind.

Ditto for Canada bring the only source of evil magic, even though that would account for Justin Trudeau.

-K-M-

• +6/-4
    • View Profile
Talisman is wearing the Talisman of Power which has the wisdom of the Gods and connected to Eternity. She would know. In MI13 they made several references and statements that it was the source of all magic. Not theory either

Now not saying this is the standard, but posting scans which refered to britian being the source of magic and Canada being source of dark magic. Things can get retconned and ignored. Such as the origins of man....every Marvel god says their responsible for creating mankind
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:09:20 PM by -K-M- »

Riv1

• +14/-816
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
The whole idea of "Britain is the ONLY source of magic" has never been revisited outside of this particular storyline so I tend not to pay it much mind.

Ditto for Canada bring the only source of evil magic, even though that would account for Justin Trudeau.
Thats how i see it, and LOL!

Talisman is wearing the Talisman of Power which has the wisdom of the Gods and connected to Eternity. She would know.
Gods in fiction, especially comic books, are nowhere near infallible.

-K-M-

• +6/-4
    • View Profile
Question did you read the story? As the Llan ark directly refered to this point several times. Even was revealed connected to eternity's rules. So wasn't just "gods" assumption as per the story it was fact

Riv1

• +14/-816
  • MAY 2000-JUL 2017
    • View Profile
Question did you read the story? As the Llan ark directly refered to this point several times. Even was revealed connected to eternity's rules. So wasn't just "gods" assumption as per the story it was fact
The facts as they knew them.

I've read too many comics, which exist in on an 'all myths are real' merry go round, to buy an absolute like that.