Herochat

Has it ever been outright stated that Marvel magic is all based on Nordic magic?

herochat

• +100/-77
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
Because nearly every time I've seen "magic" in Marvel graphically depicted, it's almost always in the form of Nordic or Germanic runic magic. Is there a stated canon reason for this, or is it just artistic interpretation?

Looking at you, Strange.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
Are you talking about lately or overall?

If the latter, I'm pretty sure there has been other types of magic than the ones you've
described with actual representations before.

herochat

• +100/-77
    • View Profile
Mostly just lately, since that's all I"m really familiar with. I was just wondering if there was a historical canonical basis for it.

Or it could just be because runic magic is incredibly easy to depict artistically

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
If anything, I'd bet that the reason for more Nordic magic as of late is due to the movies
being a big influence, and that Thor is one of the stronger books out right now.

Avengers has essentially taken over as Marvel's flagship title series, so any characters
or themes relating to them are going to be shown more, if only to make it "easier" for
movie fans to catch on.

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
..which comics are you reading?

herochat

• +100/-77
    • View Profile
Dr Strange and The Sorcerers Supreme, Avengers, X-Men, etc is where I've mostly noticed the trend

Tjackflash

• +1/-35
    • View Profile
   Maybe recently, thanks to the movies but the magic in Dr.Strange starting in the '60's and continuing through the '70's was always Far Eastern pop philosophy. Courtesy of Steve Ditko, Jim Starlin and company.
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
Brother Voodoo does, well, voodoo.  Kraven's girlfriend had similar African/Carribean magic going on as well.

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
Yep. They were stoners. Englehart Is a practitioner  of Thelema, corrupt Masonic/pseudo Egyptian cosmology established by Crowley. Corrupted African /hermetic spirituality is the backbone of the Marvel Cosmic Hierarchy.  Eternity=Asar, Galactus=cosmic Set, Death= Nebhet etc.

Claremonts wife was an known occultist in the Village scene in New York in the 70s. Kabbalistic/Golden Dawn/Celtic/ Sacred Feminine as well as barely concealed left hand path stuff permeated his X-Men run. "You are mine.. body and soul."  Themes Didn't come from nowhere.

Starlins stuff was also trippy acid shot but also has Jungian  individuation/ reintegration of the shadow to align the higher self occult stuff in his Mar-Vell/Warlock/Later Surfer stuff as well.

herochat

• +100/-77
    • View Profile
Yep. They were stoners. Englehart Is a practitioner  of Thelema, corrupt Masonic/pseudo Egyptian cosmology established by Crowley. Corrupted African /hermetic spirituality is the backbone of the Marvel Cosmic Hierarchy.  Eternity=Asar, Galactus=cosmic Set, Death= Nebhet etc.

Claremonts wife was an known occultist in the Village scene in New York in the 70s. Kabbalistic/Golden Dawn/Celtic/ Sacred Feminine as well as barely concealed left hand path stuff permeated his X-Men run. "You are mine.. body and soul."  Themes Didn't come from nowhere.

Starlins stuff was also trippy acid shot but also has Jungian  individuation/ reintegration of the shadow to align the higher self occult stuff in his Mar-Vell/Warlock/Later Surfer stuff as well.

I've been a student of the occult for a while now, but Ive only recently gotten into any comics dealing with it just because Ive always hated the art that usually accompanies the stories.

Jelly, if you'd be interested in more than just shouting about cave demons and whatnot,  I'd love to talk with you about your influences, beliefs, etc over pm or whatever

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
Jelly, if you'd be interested in more than just shouting about cave demons and whatnot...

You ask too much of him.

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8299
    • View Profile
Hm, strange being the primary that I think of regarding magic I'd say no.  And he tends to deal with a wide variety.  But, then when you add the likes of say Iron fist and Kun'Lun Asian, Black Panther deals with magic wakandan, Brother voodoo voodon, Illyana and the dark magics non Nordic,

Morgan Le fey, Dr. Druid, damn I forget that other shits name.  I've always associated with the magic associated with the lore of Great Britain and Merlin.

Then you have manitou and his daughter and the magic of the Canadian Indians, snowbird also.

I'd say to a low level extent possibly even Forge despite his base in science and tech.

Doom. Can't say I recall anything he's done being of Nordic or Germanic. 

I can't think of a canonical reason for its more recent appearance as you say limiting it to this.  And if you'd checked out Dr. Strange of late with the Empirikul arc and since after.  Where the Sorceror Supreme's are brought together.   There's a pretty good variety there.
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Riv1

• +17/-837
    • View Profile
Brother Voodoo does, well, voodoo.  Kraven's girlfriend had similar African/Carribean magic going on as well.
All types of magic's repped at Marvel.
The Hyborean age exists in its history, so Set's a player (Serpent Crown). Native American gods, Hindu, nature spirirs, luck of the Irish..its all there.
Thats not a bat. This...is a bat.

Uhtceare

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
I always thought Hermetic/Crowley stuff was the biggest influence. It was a big influence on 30's pulp, and most of the guys who created the 60's comics were heavily influenced by 30's pulp. If that's changed, it's a recent thing.

-K-M-

• +6/-4
    • View Profile
In MI-13 it is revealed England is the source of magic

Canada is the source of evil dark magic