Herochat

Hot Take: Maximum Carnage still sucks

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Take: Maximum Carnage still sucks
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 06:06:25 AM »
God, I hated that game worse than the crossover. It was retardedly hard.

MaxCar WAS better than all the god awful "i am the spider" shit that followed it, though.
Yeah, that game was a bitch and a half. It was only one-player, right? The controls were tough, and the enemies came at you from all sides. I'm pretty good at Beat-Em Ups generally, but this one was TOUGH.

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
So what do people think about the "Heroes never kill!" aspect of the crossover? The whole thing where Spider-Man repeatedly saves Carnage's life, even though he will literally start killing people the minute he's free. To me, this makes Parker out to be an idiot, responsible for countless deaths.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »
I've always been bugged by that in comics.  Sure, the average purse snatcher or thief doesn't deserve death.  And if there's a way to capture the villain and turn him/her over to the authorities to stand trial with the knowledge that they will never escape prison, then by all means take them alive.

In cases like Carnage or Joker where it's ensured they will keep killing, I see no problem with the hero putting a stop to it in a more permanent manner.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »
I've always been bugged by that in comics.  Sure, the average purse snatcher or thief doesn't deserve death.  And if there's a way to capture the villain and turn him/her over to the authorities to stand trial with the knowledge that they will never escape prison, then by all means take them alive.

In cases like Carnage or Joker where it's ensured they will keep killing, I see no problem with the hero putting a stop to it in a more permanent manner.

Agreed is the stupidest shit in comics.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »
So what do people think about the "Heroes never kill!" aspect of the crossover? The whole thing where Spider-Man repeatedly saves Carnage's life, even though he will literally start killing people the minute he's free. To me, this makes Parker out to be an idiot, responsible for countless deaths.

Nature of comics; especially in the 90's if you weren't an anti-hero.

Hell even Cage has let Sabretooth live a couple times because "killing him would make us no better than him".

Despite him being an unrepentant serial killer/assassin who threatened to kill all of their friends and family.

The Shuruku Demon

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
I don't mind that Spidey is against killing, but he did come over a little sanctimonious in that arc if memory serves. Especially when you consider that he's come very close to killing a number of times himself over the years, and has actually killed, attempted to kill, or been responsible for the deaths of a few villains. J.M. DeMatteis and Howard Mackie, two of the writers behind Maximum Carnage, even scripted some of those incidents themselves, such as Peter ostensibly attempting to murder Norman Osborn at the climax of Revelations.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
I don't mind that Spidey is against killing, but he did come over a little sanctimonious in that arc if memory serves. Especially when you consider that he's come very close to killing a number of times himself over the years, and has actually killed, attempted to kill, or been responsible for the deaths of a few villains. J.M. DeMatteis and Howard Mackie, two of the writers behind Maximum Carnage, even scripted some of those incidents themselves, such as Peter ostensibly attempting to murder Norman Osborn at the climax of Revelations.

Yeah comics can be kind of contradictory about those things.

Especially considering that Spider-Man hangs out with Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Punisher half the time.

Or hell even Thor on occasion.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:36:08 PM by g-train »

Hamburglar

• +2413/-53
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
I love how Jabroniville basically gave us the Maximum Carnage of Herochat posts here.

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Hamburglar

• +2413/-53
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »
IOW long, unreadable and full of B-listers

FUCKING DIGUSTING

TNC

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »

Thing is, this storyline delivered on everything it promised. Action, Fighting, Chaos, Lots of characters and things happening.

How many crossovers have we been subjected to where nothing really happens in them? For what it was, its better than stuff like Original Sin.