Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you decide whether a hero gains stock or a villain loses stock when...  (Read 410 times)

shadowknight

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile

I think it depends on frequency.  Thor beating Galactus one time all those years ago hasn't made him seem any less formidable.  Darkseid continually losing to Superman and people at a similar powerlevel has made him look less formidable, though.
While I don't want to derail this thread. As far know SM is the only major hero that has ever beaten Darkseid 1 on 1. Even Orion win in his comic was explained away that DS threw the fight with Orion. So I don't see DS losing stock unless someone can't stand the fact that SM won. Having said that in the N52 DS easily beat SM in the JL and it took the combine might of the JL to just fight him to a near standstill. Which IMO means at least to anyone unbiased that DS stock isn't going down anytime soon.

As for the question  heroes or villains that lose stock is when everyone and his brother starts beating on you or the writer implies in no uncertain terms you're not as  powerful as previously thought. In the latter case is Count Nefaria who was easily beaten by Thor and the explanation was Thor just stopped holding back. in the former case is Silver Surfer getting arm-bared by BP, Spiderman beating on Firelord and Terrax becoming the jobber of the week. An honorable mention should go to Black Bolt were he went from arguably a Top Tier, to a Mid-Tier with  maybe a Top Tier lvl attack.

fangirl101

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile

I think it depends on frequency.  Thor beating Galactus one time all those years ago hasn't made him seem any less formidable.  Darkseid continually losing to Superman and people at a similar powerlevel has made him look less formidable, though.
While I don't want to derail this thread. As far know SM is the only major hero that has ever beaten Darkseid 1 on 1. Even Orion win in his comic was explained away that DS threw the fight with Orion. So I don't see DS losing stock unless someone can't stand the fact that SM won. Having said that in the N52 DS easily beat SM in the JL and it took the combine might of the JL to just fight him to a near standstill. Which IMO means at least to anyone unbiased that DS stock isn't going down anytime soon.

As for the question  heroes or villains that lose stock is when everyone and his brother starts beating on you or the writer implies in no uncertain terms you're not as  powerful as previously thought. In the latter case is Count Nefaria who was easily beaten by Thor and the explanation was Thor just stopped holding back. in the former case is Silver Surfer getting arm-bared by BP, Spiderman beating on Firelord and Terrax becoming the jobber of the week. An honorable mention should go to Black Bolt were he went from arguably a Top Tier, to a Mid-Tier with  maybe a Top Tier lvl attack.
Orion killed Darksied. Whjat are you smoking? His win is way above anything Superman has ever done to DS. Firestorm also beat DS with a quantum tube thing 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:33:05 PM by fangirl101 »

g-train

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile

Yeah I kind of feel like Blackbolts fight against WWHulk was part of the beginning of that drop, even though it got retconned to be a "Skrull"-Bolt or whatever.

Still had lasting consequences.

Abhilegend

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile

Orion in answer to jelly

As to the topic:

A stock of a hero will be raised provided there is generally no major conflicting showings in a following time frame. A one off is to me more grounds for a raise of stock for the hero with the caveat of a bad day for the villain. However, if the pattern of loses for the villain continues, this may be conflicting (to the expected norm) so the stock of the hero won't be raised and more so the villain's stock will be lessened. This can be one hero defeating the villain repeatedly or multiple heroes doing so. More over, if the hero is given loses to lesser characters it may be a break even for the hero with no stock gained, but that villain still may lose a step, however if future showings have them back on form, no step lost.. Of course comics, so often stock won't be too greatly effected due to in story rationale for why the fight went down in a seemingly unexpected manner.
Orion has never been shown to beat Darkseid without some context. This happened in 2008, the full on "Jobberseid" era as known.

He literally koed Orion with a wave of his hands.

Detective AP

• Global Moderator
  • The Big Mick
    • View Profile

As mentioned, Orion did it and so did Doomsday.

Abhilegend

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile

As mentioned, Orion did it and so did Doomsday.
Orion only did it when Source sent him to kill Darkseid and there he brushed entire Justice League aside including Superman. Before that Darkseid either outmuscled him with one hand (Foundations, Jack Kirby's fourth world), brought him to his knees casually (New Gods 8) or beaten him straight up (Firestorm 35).

Doomsday was just a walking plot device who defeated everyone. Even there Darkseid looked far above Superman.

I'm still waiting for all these losses Darkseid suffered which lowered his stock.

Abhilegend

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile

On the other hand Thanos was defeated just recently by GOTG easily and before that curbstomped by Ultimates and GOTG. Even before that he was defeated by Star Lord wielding a random Celestial artifact.

Does that lowers his stock?

g-train

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile

On the other hand Thanos was defeated just recently by GOTG easily and before that curbstomped by Ultimates and GOTG. Even before that he was defeated by Star Lord wielding a random Celestial artifact.

Does that lowers his stock?

Thanos jumps around more than a lot of people might like to admit.

That and he's got some kind of "space" cancer going.

But yeah; we might need to start considering that Thanos ain't the man he used to be.
Pages: 1 [2]