« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 12:15:55 AM »
You all get shit for being stupid.

Don't fret

superlurker

• +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: question on Flat Earthers
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 02:49:58 AM »
I figure the realization came from people having the ability to actually travel and circumnavigate the globe, rather than "falling off the edge of the world" into an abyss of monsters. The advancement of science plays/played a large role, unless you're just a willfully ignorant goober.

Not really, the realization that the Earth was round by far predates circumnavigation. Not only that, they had even established a reasonably good idea of the size of the globe by using a stick and some common sense (see: Erastothenes).

A good example of this misconception would be Columbus, a lot of people seem to think he came up with the idea that the Earth was round, but his big idea wasn't that (everyone that mattered knew that the Earth was round, it's why medieval kings used to have orbs to symbolize the Earth), but that it was a lot smaller than people thought and Eurasia was bigger. He was wrong, but lucked out and found a new continent instead. He never realized he was wrong, which is good, because the "United States of Columbia" just sounds awful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus#Geographical_considerations

Von Doom

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 02:57:19 AM »
I saw a video where a guy "proved" the earth was flat by taking a model airplane, guiding it southward against a globe, and said something like, "See, now that we're at the South Pole, the airplane is upside-down, and yet pilots at the South Pole are not upside-down; therefore flat Earth."

He'd spent a good 5 minutes at the beginning of the video detailing how he was a successful lawyer, and so you could trust that he was intelligent and critical-minded. I was convinced the video was satire. Apparently it was not.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
Slightly off topic but, how does one decide which way is 'up' in space?

I've never seen a movie, as an example, where 2 random ships in deep space pass or meet, and are oriented differently.
Wouldnt that be likely?
I was thinking of starting a thread to ask the other day, but maybe someone has an answer right quick?

Unwritten space law?

All vessels have to be flying in the same general perspective so as to make interactions easier?

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
I'm a little disappointed we apparentlt don't have a single flat Earther on this site of miscreants. I was sure someone would step up in this thread (my money was on Letters).

Cheers.

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
Even letters doesn't believe that.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 02:07:38 PM »
Even letters doesn't believe that.

Yeah our Conspiracy Types are quality dammit'.

XerxesTWD

• +39/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
Slightly off topic but, how does one decide which way is 'up' in space?

I've never seen a movie, as an example, where 2 random ships in deep space pass or meet, and are oriented differently.
Wouldnt that be likely?
I was thinking of starting a thread to ask the other day, but maybe someone has an answer right quick?

Vessels tend to fly roughly on the same plane as the planetary orbits when within a star system.

Between stars or galaxies, you can go any direction.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 09:14:48 PM »
Just amazing that they look up and see a spherical moon... sun... planets. Hell, asteroids aren't spheres but are still generally ball-like if a bit craggy.

But for some reason, the Earth is flat.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 09:26:41 PM »
I think they believe the Sun and Moon are disk shaped like the Earth.

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 12:37:31 AM »
I'm a little disappointed we apparentlt don't have a single flat Earther on this site of miscreants. I was sure someone would step up in this thread (my money was on Letters).

Cheers.
I'd have taken that bet, except that he's never mentioned it, and something this dumb? He wouldve mentioned.

I'm pretty sure I asked him once before and he straight up said he didn't believe it.

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 12:55:11 AM »
I wanna see a Flat Earther debate a Hollow Earther sometime.  Anyone got info on that?

Not BAMF

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
This is the first I've heard of "Hollow Earther".

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
Neal Adams believes in the Hollow Earth.  The crazier parts of that belief involve mole men.

HalloweenJack

• +11/-5
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 05:42:54 PM »
Just amazing that they look up and see a spherical moon... sun... planets. Hell, asteroids aren't spheres but are still generally ball-like if a bit craggy.

But for some reason, the Earth is flat.

yeah like AP said, they think the sun and moon are disks of equal size (32 mile diameters IIRC)

also the earth is not a planet. and planets aren't exactly what you think they would be.

just alot of shit.