Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: Make America Polluted Again  (Read 139 times)

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
Make America Polluted Again
« on: May 13, 2017, 07:10:53 PM »

There goes the "Caught out of the Pristine Crystal Clear Waters of Alaska" campaign. Eh, salmon is overrated anyway.  And the mining company is not even an American one.

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/taryn-kiekow-heimer/epa-settles-lawsuit-puts-pebble-mine-first-america-last

EPA Settles Lawsuit: Puts Pebble Mine First, America Last

If the Trump administration’s strategy is to put a foreign mining company first—and America’s greatest wild salmon fishery dead last—then sadly it’s succeeding. Today EPA settled a lawsuit with Northern Dynasty Minerals—the Canadian junior mining company behind the proposed Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay, Alaska. The settlement has not yet been filed with the court, but according to EPA and Northern Dynasty press releases it will shelve an Obama-era Proposed Determination to protect Bristol Bay. EPA agrees it will start the process of withdrawing its Proposed Determination and Northern Dynasty Minerals agrees to dismiss the lawsuit.

EPA Administer Scott Pruitt claims the settlement is about providing Pebble a "fair process," but in reality it's putting Pebble Mine first and Bristol Bay second. If he is really serious about "listening to all voices as this process unfolds," then it’s time to listen to what the people of Alaska and Bristol Bay want. Spoiler alert: they do not want the Pebble Mine. More than 65 percent of Alaskans, 80 percent of Bristol Bay residents and Native communities, and 85 percent of commercial fishermen oppose the mine.

The Trump administration has made some bad decisions this week, but paving the way for the Pebble Mine is completely nonsensical. The Bristol Bay wild salmon fishery is the economic and cultural linchpin of the region that:

Produces nearly half of the world’s wild sockeye salmon catch. With an average run of 37.5 million fish, Bristol Bay produces 46% of the world’s sockeye salmon.

Generates $1.5 billion annually. An economic report released by researchers at the University of Alaska Institute of Social and Economic Research found that the Bristol Bay commercial salmon fishery is worth $1.5 billion a year, making it the most valuable wild-salmon fishery in the world. The Bristol Bay commercial fishery is a prime example of a conservation economy, defined as a sustainable economy that directly depends on a healthy ecosystem.

Supports 14,000 full and part-time workers.  Not only do salmon sustain commercial fishing jobs, but they also support world-class sports fishing and Alaska Natives.

The proposed Pebble Mine—and it’s 10 billion tons of mining waste at the headwaters of Bristol Bay—would risk it all.  The Pebble Mine would create only about 1,000 temporary mining jobs while threatening 14,000 American commercial and recreational fishery jobs in a $1.5 billion annual salmon fishery that can last indefinitely.  A three-year, twice peer reviewed scientific study concluded the Pebble Mine poses potentially “catastrophic” risks to the region.

Sig : Sara Jean Underwood

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
Re: Make America Polluted Again
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 11:44:04 PM »

Fucked up
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:45:20 PM »

It's a race to beat China, I guess.

Master Tolkien

• Global Moderator
  • Crisis Actor
  • I write about dragons. Bitches love dragons.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »

Salmon prices may skyrocket depending on swift the damage is.

Of the 10 villains, so far as things of this nature can be remembered going back afore the days the board crashes, 9 filled with dread and cursed in vain at the sight of Master.

Dlbiininja

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »

Wow!  This will really fuck up a lot of shit.  Let's continue to roll back that environmental protection progress. 

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »

0 points Trump 1 point Trudeau.