Why do people like Trump?

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people like Trump?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »
Racism.

I mean, that's really the root of it.

That pre supposed that white Hillary voters aren't racist. Which for the most part they and she, are.

So your argument is that racism isn't a factor in why people still like Trump is that because white Hillary voters are racist?
What you're saying has nothing to do with my post, which is that Hillary and most of her white supporters are racists as well.

And Id say anger at the establishment is the primary factor, and fake illegal alien invader(like all whites are in this hemisphere)nativism/ xenophobia and racism factor in after that.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
I wasn't saying anything. I was asking a question so you can clarify your stance.  You said that blaming his popularity on racism suggest that Hillary's popularity has nothing to do with racism then said that her popularity has something to with racism, which by your logic, suggest his popularity has nothing to with racism. If thats not what you were saying then your comment really didn't really add anything to the discussion.

Also we are talking about why he is still popular. Not why he was popular. Anyone who was angry at the establishment has already jumped ship.

AP

• +46/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Racism.

I mean, that's really the root of it.

There were a large number of people who voted for both Obama and Trump.  The Trump supporters I've met personally were far from racist (and hell, for some reason, there are either more minority voters for Trump than for past Republicans, or minority conservatives are just more vocal these days, or I just didn't notice them before).  This is shallow reasoning and doesn't get to the real issue.

It's not the ONLY reason, but it is a huge one. The question isn't why did Trump win" (the answer to that is "Hillary"), it's "why do people like him", and one of the most notable things about Trump is that he was almost inarguably the single most anti- non-white-people candidate ever. He was going to build a wall to keep out the Mexicans, and he was going to ban Muslims, and he was all for Blue Lives Matter. Rural white America LOVED that. Discounting his racism and the sentiment in America that loves that about him is as bad (if not worse) as saying it is a "shallow" reason. His legitimate candidacy told all these people who thought "OMG PC POLICE RUNZ TEH WULRD!" that it's ALL RIGHT to be outwardly vitriolic and violent towards the minorities they want to hate.

Not to match my irrelevant anecdotal evidence against yours, but barely two days pass between different news stories I read where some angry white person was caught on tape telling some minority or another "TRUMP IS GOING TO GET RID OF YOU" or some variation that all specifically call out his name as the great white savior against minorities existing places. Hell, there was JUST the one from, what, yesterday? About the guy yelling at Muslims on the beach. It happens ALL THE TIME now. Trump is going to deliver us from these brown folks.

Are there other reasons that idiots actually like the guy? Yeah, mostly simple partisan ones. I mean, that's what it boils down to for most candidates. But to say that racism isn't a HUGE reason why people like him is abjectly silly.

I don't deny racism isn't a part, but you claimed it was the root of why he's liked as if there are no other factors.

Thanos6

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
Because people are stupid.
Truten forever!

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
Anti-Establishment, a desire for change, the guy went back and forth on just about whatever he said so he may have said something you liked.

Whether that was America First, We are Going to Build a Wall or Legalize Marijuana.

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »
Anti-Establishment, a desire for change, the guy went back and forth on just about whatever he said so he may have said something you liked.

Whether that was America First, We are Going to Build a Wall or Legalize Marijuana.

or sometime the opposit of those things. He said thing that just cant work together. So he was a roscharc test, people could pick and choose what they wanted to hear

How long that will last time will tell. Since he actully in power.  Will blaming the dems who have hardly any power help.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
Also note:

A good chunk of Presidential voters don't follow politics. They just tune in for a few months before the election... and then stop paying attention. They maybe catch a few huge headlines... skip the mid-term elections... and then tune back in 3 and 1/2 years later for the next election.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

AP

• +46/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 10:25:28 PM »
Also note:

A good chunk of Presidential voters don't follow politics. They just tune in for a few months before the election... and then stop paying attention. They maybe catch a few huge headlines... skip the mid-term elections... and then tune back in 3 and 1/2 years later for the next election.

Yeah, that's a big part of it, too.  Some Trummp supporters were surprised when their loved ones got deported because they didn't even know about his immigration policies.

Propeus The Fallen

• +12/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 12:28:33 AM »
How the hell didn't they know about his immigration policies? He wants to build a ****ing wall to separate our country from Mexico?!!

AP

• +46/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 03:32:19 AM »
How the hell didn't they know about his immigration policies? He wants to build a ****ing wall to separate our country from Mexico?!!

I know, right?  Supposedly the Latina lady who came up on stage during one of his campaign stops to show her support was also deported.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »
Tucker Carlson should be president.

Propeus The Fallen

• +12/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »

I know, right?  Supposedly the Latina lady who came up on stage during one of his campaign stops to show her support was also deported.

Good! She deserves it!

But  yeah, I've read a lot of stories from Trump voters who had a friend or family member deported and went "Um...we might have goofed." Yeah, no **** you goofed morons!

nu-safado

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 12:36:20 AM »
Here's my theories

1 - Nationalism - Nationalism is tricky business. I see a realignment to Pre-WW2 tjhinking with countries realizing that their national interests might not be the same as others. The idea of a global village is being challenged

2 - The death of the global elite

The global elite created an enormous amount of wealth and prosperity, even with the occasional crsis, from around the early 80;s to 2008 when it came to a skidding halt. During that time legislation (Citizens United anyone), donor's influencing politics and the reaction to the global economic meltdown tilted what had been a budding issue front and center, the demise of the lower middle-class. Usually, as the rich got wealthier the middle class have somewhat followed suit and even if it wasn't to a great degree, so long as the basic rights afforded to the midle class were available; university, basic standard of living and most of  affordable housing - it was ok.

For rural Americans buying a house was attainable albeit under a more stringent and restricted standard of living. The average per capita US salary in lower middle-clas regions no longer let's Americans afford to biy a housw which has always been a benchmark of American success and life.

In the face of the excesses of a growing oligarchy populism has gorwn and will grow futher as the contagion spreads to the middle-class outside of rural areas.

With fire-brand populism growing voters wanted to throw a brick through a window and the only game in town was Trump. People clearly didn't like him as an individual, but the left had no alternative. The other populist was swallowed up by his own establishment and the living incarnation of the establishment ran for office when voters clearly wanted the establishment to pay a price. Even if Trump seemed grotesque,, he promised he would do it and he knew how to play the role

Sadly the left hasn't learned. Can anyone name an enthusiastic candidate besides Bernie Sanders on the left?

The other issue IMO is the detachment between the left's practicality and its morality.

Liberal's and liberal progressive's have always been the champions of the working class. They've also become the champion of liberal, cosmopolitan values. Those two don't necessarily mix. Voters in struggling rest belt states aren't particularly concerned with the social issues liberals care about and to a degree become excluded.

Liberals can't have it both ways - it's hard to advance progressive social issues and represent the rural workers that want to get behind a worker-centric party at the same time. The left has lost its direction and has done little more than stamp its feet in terms of outlining a vision for the nation. This has been a worldwide failure of the left but in the US it's particularly egregious

If the left produced anotehr Bernie Sanders who was able to work within a legislative framework, the Democrats would wipe the Republicans obstructionist party of the face of the earth and bipartisanship could resume. For now, Trump is the only popuist game in town and as bad as he is, I think the people holding on to him are afraid that no one represents their interests

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 02:38:11 AM »
see never though social issue and finicial issue had to be mutally exclusive

Like Productive rights to me a social issue and its a bottom line pocket book issue. So it plan parenthood and criminal justice reform

So is hippy enviormental stuff. Listen if you poison the water supply that affect rural America to. So is cutting off health. The fish population get hurts that hurt fishmen. Deport to many people affect things..because it seem American dont want those Jobs. They offered good prices and benifits but there not biting. Opiates used to be consider a black thing now white American getting on get poison by drugs game

I think alot dems failed argue that point for decades. Connect the two. Always said what affect minorities tends to affect everyone else.  Lot of the rules against privacy started with them just fucking with muslims and it moved on to other people

Also think moderation is died a slow death

Like I am pro single payer, for free college, on the left of most social issues, for gun control, legalizing drugs, a but not really anti trade,

Anti war generaly, but if your an American who Joins a terrorist War Zone, with the terroirst...I dont neccerary think we need to send in Seal team six to get you out before they bomb the place. I am not sure where all of that weclome anymore

Think people saw the world changing faster then they could adjust and saw Trump as the savoior..and it going to take a while to accept they may of picked a bad guy.  And it hard to combat. Because it no good way to say certain Jobs just not coming back..you have to retrained.

Or that yea to get the thing we want...everyone..even the middle classes going to have to pay some taxes. That why the AND MEXICO going to pay for it..was just a draw. Which is a weird notion. Because if you really think an army of mexican coming over, taking you Jobs, raping and murder family members. Isnt it worth your taxes going up a LITTLE bit..to stop that. America hate taxes THAT MUCH..where the answer may be no to some of them.  It not chance..that the one unpopular part of obama care if the thing that helps pay for it.

Also progressive program is harder..because you dont see the affect of it for a while. Like if we get single payer it will be a godsend. But make no mistake it will be shit..and buggy as fucked for the first few years. Any massive program going to be like that..tons of burruecraticy

While some of conervative stuff..has quick turn around...but long term it will be bad. Like cutting regulation, building the pipeline, fracking.  That WILL add Jobs. Namely in the areas  that voted for trump. But it goes to maybe fuck up people healths and thier towns in the long run

Just like sure Wall street will do great. Oil deals will do great, maybe cheaper oil for a bit. But in the long run some of this stuff will crashed and be bad in the long run.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »
Part of the problem is people just can't get beyond the fact those jobs aren't returning and society is radically changing.

That and liberals are at times uncomfortable with addressing things.

Wanting a stronger boarder can be an aspect of racists but when you consider that what liberals are essentially fighting for....is a race-based caste-system where the Hispanic people exist as a serving class for the nation.....you could make a good argument that's not really a preferable alternative from a "race" relations perspective.

Sure racists might be the driving force behind the "Muslim" ban but they aren't totally wrong either.