Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why do people like Trump?  (Read 493 times)

Propeus The Fallen

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
Why do people like Trump?
« on: May 13, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »

I've been trying to figure this out.

He's not charismatic. I mean, I can go to a bar and listen to a drunk and get about the same level of personality. He's stupid, he lies openly. I mean, I'm trying to get why people like him. I can understand Dubya because, hey, he never should have been president, but he was a nice guy. Trump isn't.

I mean, I don't get how some people go from voting for Obama twice to voting for the exact opposite of him in Trump?

Anyone have any thoughts?

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people like Trump?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 12:22:25 PM »

We've covered this in the past.  People voted for him because he presented himself as anti-establishment.  A lot of Americans are disenfranchised and want to buck the system and Trump presented himself as not being a part of all that.  He didn't talk or act like a politician.  He spoke his mind, which people like.  Now, what was normally on his mind were terrible things, but the very fact that he obviously didn't give a fuck about whose feelings he hurt or who he pissed off was endearing to these people.  It didn't matter what he said, usually.  It helped that he was a bit of a pariah in DC, even among the Republicans, which made him appear to be a maverick (coupled with the fact that he wasn't a career politician).  The more politicians were pissed off, the more the media gave him attention, the more his followers liked him.

Then you have him actually doing something smart in his campaign by going to small towns where he would talk to blue collar workers and joe-schmoes in the rust belt.  These people voted Dem in the past because they thought they would keep their jobs.  With the Dems sending their jobs overseas while going on TV to hang out with Ellen or Beyonce', it was obvious they weren't looking out for them and they sure as shit weren't going to vote for him if he acted like the typical stuffy Republican asshole.  Trump was something different, so they expected different results.

All that said, what's his approval rating these days?  40%?  I think most of the people who voted for him have wised up since then.

Not BAMF

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
  • Generic HC User #6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »

Racism.

I mean, that's really the root of it.

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »

Racism.

There were a large number of people who voted for both Obama and Trump.  The Trump supporters I've met personally were far from racist (and hell, for some reason, there are either more minority voters for Trump than for past Republicans, or minority conservatives are just more vocal these days, or I just didn't notice them before).  This is shallow reasoning and doesn't get to the real issue.

ProjectCornDog

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »

People were absolutely sick of the establishment in both parties. In one party, the establishment was pushing JEB! when the Bushes could not have been any less popular. It was as if they were giving the voters a giant FUCK YOU. And then what is the establishment's solution to an unprecedented Donald Trump win during the GOP primaries? Despite populism in the air and anti-establishment rhetoric gaining popularity, they chose Hillary to fight him.

People wanted change and they voted for Trump. So the question is, why do people STILL like Trump? Statistically, incumbents in house/senate races almost ALWAYS win (I have to look it up but I remember it being over an 80% chance of victory). When Obama won, he governed almost completely differently then how he said he would run the government yet he lost very little popularity and won both elections and still is held in high regard. I don't think voters like to admit they made a mistake, so even when their guy or gal fucks up they will look for reasons to defend THEIR decision of voting for them.

Not BAMF

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
  • Generic HC User #6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »

Racism.

There were a large number of people who voted for both Obama and Trump.  The Trump supporters I've met personally were far from racist (and hell, for some reason, there are either more minority voters for Trump than for past Republicans, or minority conservatives are just more vocal these days, or I just didn't notice them before).  This is shallow reasoning and doesn't get to the real issue.

It's not the ONLY reason, but it is a huge one. The question isn't why did Trump win" (the answer to that is "Hillary"), it's "why do people like him", and one of the most notable things about Trump is that he was almost inarguably the single most anti- non-white-people candidate ever. He was going to build a wall to keep out the Mexicans, and he was going to ban Muslims, and he was all for Blue Lives Matter. Rural white America LOVED that. Discounting his racism and the sentiment in America that loves that about him is as bad (if not worse) as saying it is a "shallow" reason. His legitimate candidacy told all these people who thought "OMG PC POLICE RUNZ TEH WULRD!" that it's ALL RIGHT to be outwardly vitriolic and violent towards the minorities they want to hate.

Not to match my irrelevant anecdotal evidence against yours, but barely two days pass between different news stories I read where some angry white person was caught on tape telling some minority or another "TRUMP IS GOING TO GET RID OF YOU" or some variation that all specifically call out his name as the great white savior against minorities existing places. Hell, there was JUST the one from, what, yesterday? About the guy yelling at Muslims on the beach. It happens ALL THE TIME now. Trump is going to deliver us from these brown folks.

Are there other reasons that idiots actually like the guy? Yeah, mostly simple partisan ones. I mean, that's what it boils down to for most candidates. But to say that racism isn't a HUGE reason why people like him is abjectly silly.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:59:45 PM by Not BAMF »

ProjectCornDog

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »

Not to mention, Muslim and Mexican aren't races. One is a religion and one is a nationality that comprises of many different races.

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »

As someone who has been accused of being both racist don't see it that way.

therock

• Global Moderator
  • Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 04:39:53 PM »

Well if not racist then bigotted

Dont think it so much that there racist, but either triblisim..but in a position where they can OVERLOOK his racist behavoir.  So it less "Yea fuck the muslims" and more "Hey I am not muslim, black or mexican..if he going to bring back factor Jobs why do I give a shit if he hates them"

So when the dems or news brought up so call identiy politics it only made them angry because they figure that didnt focused on issues THEY care about.  But it shows the understand some of those indenity issue and finiaical issues are connected.  That why you had some trump voter angry their ending obama care because they though Trump wasnt hurting THEIR health care. But end plan parenthood, piut to many people in Jail, that effect the enconomy. That why a lot of states that pro lower taxes, and anti goverment hands out get the most hand outs of all the states. Because they dont count the money THEY get

Somehow the coal workers didnt know there something in obama care that help them and them only. That plant parenthood being defunded going to affect thier pokcet books. That there arent a lot of people rushing to work those farm Jobs (and yes even with good pay and benifits). That ending overtime pay will hurt them

Part of them is the dems always putting themselve on the defensive. They rarely argue FOR goverment programs to argue again the republcians being against it

Part of me wonder if the draw of a complete outside going to lower. Since this shows you might need some experence and skill to do the Job at this level. After all we dont want that in a lot of other Jobs. When I got a liver transplant..I didnt want some dude who never went to medical school working on me

"Yea this guy never operated before...but he watch House a few times and I lkike his gumson"

Animalia.

• King
  • Vaticanistan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »

Trump reminds me of Berlusconi.
Not saying you can compare Italy and Usa but many of the persons voting him were good people.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:43:08 PM by Animalia. »

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »

Well if not racist then bigotted

Dont think it so much that there racist, but either triblisim..but in a position where they can OVERLOOK his racist behavoir.  So it less "Yea fuck the muslims" and more "Hey I am not muslim, black or mexican..if he going to bring back factor Jobs why do I give a shit if he hates them"

So when the dems or news brought up so call identiy politics it only made them angry because they figure that didnt focused on issues THEY care about.  But it shows the understand some of those indenity issue and finiaical issues are connected.  That why you had some trump voter angry their ending obama care because they though Trump wasnt hurting THEIR health care. But end plan parenthood, piut to many people in Jail, that effect the enconomy. That why a lot of states that pro lower taxes, and anti goverment hands out get the most hand outs of all the states. Because they dont count the money THEY get

Somehow the coal workers didnt know there something in obama care that help them and them only. That plant parenthood being defunded going to affect thier pokcet books. That there arent a lot of people rushing to work those farm Jobs (and yes even with good pay and benifits). That ending overtime pay will hurt them

Part of them is the dems always putting themselve on the defensive. They rarely argue FOR goverment programs to argue again the republcians being against it

Part of me wonder if the draw of a complete outside going to lower. Since this shows you might need some experence and skill to do the Job at this level. After all we dont want that in a lot of other Jobs. When I got a liver transplant..I didnt want some dude who never went to medical school working on me

"Yea this guy never operated before...but he watch House a few times and I lkike his gumson"

A lot of times its straight racism. For example, one time when I worked at a record store this woman wanted to return a CD but it was scratched and she didn't have a receipt so I told her no. Her response was to call me a dirty Mexican and told me I should go back to Mexico. Now I have my name tag on with my full name which is very far from a standard Mexican name. I also don't have even the slightest accent let alone a Mexican one. She made this judgement on me strictly on the color of my skin which is basically the foundation of racism. Racist people aren't using the strictest use of the word race to base their racism.

Panthergod

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »

Racism.

That pre supposed that white Hillary voters aren't racist. Which for the most part they and she, are.

therock

• Global Moderator
  • Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »

Racism.

That pre supposed that white Hillary voters aren't racist. Which for the most part they and she, are.

consider one of her strongest bases are minoritiy voters who tend to be hated on, I dont think so

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »

Racism.

So your argument is that racism isn't a factor in why people still like Trump is that because white Hillary voters are racist?
Pages: [1] 2 3