Herochat

What percentage of the problems in the ME are due to inbreeding?

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
Re: What percentage of the problems in the ME are due to inbreeding?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 11:59:22 PM »
This kind of goes back to the "Peter David" thing though, factoring in what he said about Gypsies.

Sure these are moderate muslims but do we have any "non-moderate" main character Muslim's or villains in Marvel or DC comics?

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?srch=religion-Muslim__25_-villain-1

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
This kind of goes back to the "Peter David" thing though, factoring in what he said about Gypsies.

Sure these are moderate muslims but do we have any "non-moderate" main character Muslim's or villains in Marvel or DC comics?

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?srch=religion-Muslim__25_-villain-1

So no recent ones and no mainstream ones and not that many; factoring in that this is basically "all" major plus a couple indie, comic publishers and a TV show......and at least one of those guys was just a SHIELD agent who went awol to help his people fight for freedom.

Not exactly a "villain".

And Legion who is "part Muslim"......can't really be part Muslim, part middle eastern sure, Muslim not so much.

Some soldiers; a couple guys who were looking for a carpet thief.....

So what they are using to define villain here (and Muslim) is apparently pretty loose.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:57:33 AM by g-train »

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
On ones that are US citizens? In some aspects yes and some no. On ones in the Middle East? Absolutely not.

First time I've heard about them being all inbred myself.  Just sayin'.

Considering the severe difference between the two and how the south still gets heckled about it all the time.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
Since you're gonna open that up I think its a little insane to suggest we shouldn't have moderate Muslim superheroes. Especially when promoting moderate versions of any ideals as a good thing is the most effective way of pulling people away from the extreme end.

True I mean; hell we got moderate Nazi's being represented by Cap nowadays so it seems fair to have a moderate Muslim.

Thinking about this; remember that they had a Hydra-Agent go all "suicide bomber" on Cap.....is the twist going to be that the current era of Hydra isn't some kind of superstitious cult of white supremacists Nazi's but actually some kind of superstitious cult of white supremacist "Muslims"?

Do we already have our "Muslim Supervillains" under our nose this whole time and we didn't know it?

Will Cap have converted?

The greatest hero the US has ever known will turn out to be a follower of Islam?!?!?!?!

Uhtceare

• +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 01:55:12 AM »
This is why the Middle East is such a mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9xa0bKcnmk

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
On ones that are US citizens? In some aspects yes and some no. On ones in the Middle East? Absolutely not.

Considering the severe difference between the two and how the south still gets heckled about it all the time.

Freedom of speech exists but when it comes to talking about Islam, it's essentially an issue you aren't allowed to talk about it. For example, if I was running for office and I pointed this out I would be called a racist. Why? I'm not insulting Arabs or Persians, I am talking about a statistic that is without question a result of Islam. Muhammad married his cousin (he married many people) and the book speaks well of incestous marriages. I don't think a God who is on our side would be down with incest which increases rates of retardation by 400% and increasing the chance of birth defects and other issues astronomically.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »

Freedom of speech exists but when it comes to talking about Islam, it's essentially an issue you aren't allowed to talk about it. For example, if I was running for office and I pointed this out I would be called a racist. Why? I'm not insulting Arabs or Persians, I am talking about a statistic that is without question a result of Islam. Muhammad married his cousin (he married many people) and the book speaks well of incestous marriages. I don't think a God who is on our side would be down with incest which increases rates of retardation by 400% and increasing the chance of birth defects and other issues astronomically.

Basically people call you racist when they start believing your side of the argument themselves and have no counter to it.

Your classic case of what they might call "Projection".

We are all different in our own unique ways but we can't actually say or point out "how" we are different and we are all the same in all the ways that matter apparently.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
Fair enough, there were good points made in that thread that makes me consider the other side of it. I have been a fan of Marvel -typically- staying away from religion (few characters are uber religious like Nightcrawler and they aren't the forefront of a series). If she was wearing a burqa I'd have serious issues with it (I assume her civilian side doesn't wear one either) but since it's not shoved in your face it's not as bad as I initially thought. If Islam is going to stay then I'd want the religion to have the reformations most religions had to be able to co-exist with a modern world. That doesn't mean I don't think we shouldn't have a discussion about religions entirely, I think that is essential.
Marvel has an X-Men member named Dust who wears(wore?) a hijab most of the time. She was(is?) a pretty good character.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 06:40:34 PM »
Muhammad married his cousin (he married many people) and the book speaks well of incestous marriages. I don't think a God who is on our side would be down with incest which increases rates of retardation by 400% and increasing the chance of birth defects and other issues astronomically.
Have you read the bible? Specifically the Old Testament?

Abraham's grandson, Jacob? Patriarch of Israel and the 12 Tribes of Judah? Married TWO of his first cousins? God is very much OK with incest if you take the Bible as the word of God.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »
Weird, I responded to the first part of that same post and it got deleted. Maybe by me. Not sure.

Freedom of speech exists but when it comes to talking about Islam, it's essentially an issue you aren't allowed to talk about it.
I've seen this firsthand. Unfortunately it winds up becoming a "Not all _____" game of oneupsmanship. They go back and forth.

"Not all Muslims are suicide bombers that hate America!"
"Then why don't the Muslims speak out against the violent ones?!"
*examples provided*
"There should be more"
"Why don't more American cops speak out against cops killing black American citizens even when they're on video doing nothing wrong?"
"It's not all cops!"
"Then why don't the cops speak out against the violent ones?!"
*examples provided*
*repeat with new demographic*

There is no "war on Christianity" but there is certainly a large group of shithead pretend Christians who try to deflect their enormous incompetence and claim they're being attacked somehow.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
Muhammad married his cousin (he married many people) and the book speaks well of incestous marriages. I don't think a God who is on our side would be down with incest which increases rates of retardation by 400% and increasing the chance of birth defects and other issues astronomically.

Abraham's grandson, Jacob? Patriarch of Israel and the 12 Tribes of Judah? Married TWO of his first cousins? God is very much OK with incest if you take the Bible as the word of God.

Just because one religion sucks doesn't mean it validates another. We should be able to talk about religions independently and objectively.

Weird, I responded to the first part of that same post and it got deleted. Maybe by me. Not sure.

Freedom of speech exists but when it comes to talking about Islam, it's essentially an issue you aren't allowed to talk about it.
I've seen this firsthand. Unfortunately it winds up becoming a "Not all _____" game of oneupsmanship. They go back and forth.

"Not all Muslims are suicide bombers that hate America!"
"Then why don't the Muslims speak out against the violent ones?!"
*examples provided*
"There should be more"
"Why don't more American cops speak out against cops killing black American citizens even when they're on video doing nothing wrong?"
"It's not all cops!"
"Then why don't the cops speak out against the violent ones?!"
*examples provided*
*repeat with new demographic*

There is no "war on Christianity" but there is certainly a large group of shithead pretend Christians who try to deflect their enormous incompetence and claim they're being attacked somehow.

Basically yes.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »

Just because one religion sucks doesn't mean it validates another. We should be able to talk about religions independently and objectively.
I agree with that. Christianity is the de facto, even if it's not the official, religion of the West. The God generally considered on "our side" is the same God through a different lens.

I love questioning religion because the most misinformed hypocrites I've ever met and continue to meet are religious zealots.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
What the Bible and Koran say about incest is secondary to what people are actually doing.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2017, 12:41:06 AM »

First I don't see a single scenario where that would even come up organically. Second you'd probably get the same reaction if you were to start talking about inbreeding statistics along the Appalachians.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »

First I don't see a single scenario where that would even come up organically. Second you'd probably get the same reaction if you were to start talking about inbreeding statistics along the Appalachians.

You can't imagine a scenario where religion is discussed in a conversation?